Apple to drop sub-$500 Mac bomb at Expo

this sounds good..

this could be a nice small mediaplayer for in your living room..

shaped like a server, as big as a DVD recorder, placed under your tv, connect it togheter.

let apple make some cool software to make this work on your tv, wireless capabilities! sounds good to me

this could be a nice small mediaplayer for in your living room..

shaped like a server, as big as a DVD recorder, placed under your tv, connect it togheter.

let apple make some cool software to make this work on your tv, wireless capabilities! sounds good to me

585188927[/snapback]

Like some of these? ;)

yes but thenn from apple ;)

585188935[/snapback]

Would be interesting to see what they do with it, but the trouble is if you throw all that in, it's definitely not going to be a $500 package anymore. :)

Would be interesting to see what they do with it, but the trouble is if you throw all that in, it's definitely not going to be a $500 package anymore. :)

585188940[/snapback]

Just wait my friend

thou will be amased :D

Just wait my friend

thou will be amased :D

585188943[/snapback]

What's needed:

- A PVR/TV-tuner card

- Larger hard disk (even regular DVR boxes have a minimum of 100GB these days)

- More RAM (256MB just isn't going to cut it for a Media-Center-like machine)

- A DVD burner

- A software frontend that will tie everything together.

Factor all that in, and you're definitely not getting a "Media-Center Mac" for $500. But you can still dream on. :p

What's needed:

- A PVR/TV-tuner card

- Larger hard disk (even regular DVR boxes have a minimum of 100GB these days)

- More RAM (256MB just isn't going to cut it for a Media-Center-like machine)

- A DVD burner

- A software frontend that will tie everything together.

Factor all that in, and you're definitely not getting a "Media-Center Mac" for $500. :p

585188995[/snapback]

im sure this wont be a regular apple computer..

btw the harddisk will be 80 gig, a dvd burner can be included too and im damn well sure apple can make the software. now in the case of the tv tuner and the ram your right. But this is just a rumour, no one said this will be the final specs of the ''headless imac''

im sure this wont be a regular apple computer..

btw the harddisk will be 80 gig, a dvd burner can be included too and im damn well sure apple can make the software. now in the case of the tv tuner and the ram your right. But this is just a rumour, no one said this will be the final specs of the ''headless imac''

585189009[/snapback]

Not saying it can't be done. Sure it can...just not at that price, from Apple especially.

In any case, like you said, it's just a rumour so far. We'll see what finally happens. :)

Good move Apple....what a way to target Windows user...now for all the Win user who complain that Macs are too expensive, this is the perfect way for them to try it out!

I just wish they could make a nice mid-range computer with no display. Similar to the G5 but a little toned down. I think this thing is going to be a little too weak for the average user. Hopefully they will offer plenty of options on the apple store when it comes out. I'd like one with a faster proc and the super drive.

What are you wantin to know?

Anyway, most Macs have VGA or DVI out nowadays and work with pretty much anything that works with a PC. :)

I'd prefer DVI out and a dvi to vga adapter plug, personally.

What kind of monitor will it go with Mac? Anyways, definitely going to get one. I've been wanted Mac OS a long time.  :D

585190277[/snapback]

I think this is a bad idea. Part of the allure of a Mac is that they are expensive. If say, Cadillac came out with an SUV priced at $16k, would people lust after it like they do the Escalade? I doubt it, people would compare it to a Geo Tracker. Put a $40k sticker on the same SUV, and rappers will write songs about it.

I don't own a Mac, and I don't intend to buy one, I just think this will put Apple into competition with a already flooded market. Then again, I would have never predicted the iPod would be such a hit. I don't have a PhD in marketing, but I'm sure Apple has a team that has several.

Time will telll, I'll stay tuned.