MPAA still stricking BT sites hard!

I think one of the other problems is that the law is so vague that some people don't know that what they are sharing is illegal.  I download unlicensed anime all the time and I still haven't gotten an answer on whether or not I am breaking the law.  Downloading TV shows is another thing.  Is it legal or not?  One can only speculate until the MPAA or the RIAA sends you a letter.

585194177[/snapback]

Not exactly. It's not like you can't access the DMCA anytime you want and read it. If one doesn't understand the exact wording (Not everyone understands legal documents) then there are forums online and you should contact a lawyer if you think your activity is the slightest bit illegal.

,Dec 29 2004, 20:45]I don't think TV shows are unless they are cable tv shows.  The major network shows (cbs, nbc, abc, fox) you can watch on tv for free without paying a service so there should be no difference in watching it for free on your pc.

585194200[/snapback]

No, the networks still own the rights to the show. CBS just can't air a show Fox has the rights too, right? You can't legally download/upload/distribute them, dispite the fact that you can get it for free right out of the wall or with rabbit ears.

I suppose it could be considered rebroadcasting it without their written consent. Hopefully the networks won't start going after people, otherwise I will never see my favorite shows.

just stop offering MPAA copyrighted works and call it a day.

585194138[/snapback]

^ Bingo.  This had nothing to do with trying to kill BT (Many posts seem to imply that).  Stop listing pirated content and the problem is over!

585194152[/snapback]

I doubt it, because BT also represents a free way to distribute large files.

There are people making money from setting up pay per download services, BT is a threat to them as well.

I'm totally against people using Bittorent to download movies, but I am guilty of downloading a few TV shows that never get a release here in Australia.

Perhaps, to stop people downloading TV shows, then these companies perhaps need to make the DVD sets more affordable and better value. Perhaps we also need to see quicker theatre to DVD releases.

Some TV series only package 2 shows on a disc, yet they charge between AU$25 and $35 for them. Perhaps if you got 6 - 10 episodes for $40, it might be worth buying them.

So what I'm saying is that if these companies stopped being greedy and created good value box sets, stop charging what seems more and more for movies, and had quicker theatre to DVD releases, they might find a decline in piracy.

I got a call from me ISP telling me I had strike one because I downloaded a movie that was still in theaters. The lady was really cool though and just told me to avoid anything that hasn't been on DVD for quite a while.

Edit: 300th post.

Did anyone read the article in PC magazine this month?  It's all about the RIAA and how illegal filesharing on P2P networks was mostly an underground activity until the industry got involved and gave it free publicity.  They are still fighting this fight only now it's on a scale that is out of control.  The MPAA will have the same bad luck and will see more and more movies being shared becuase people who had no clue they could download movies will start to get involved.

585194157[/snapback]

:laugh: that is me when I first heard about P2P almost 4 years ago I was like whoa! I did not know you could do this!

It all ends some time tomorrow I believe.  :ninja:

585194378[/snapback]

what ends tomorrow...

lokitorrents...? :cry:

Supposidely some "big" announcement by the folks at Suprnova.

I have absolutely no idea what it could be about. :ermm:

(Insert Sarcasm Here)

585194564[/snapback]

umm, i dont know about your sarcasm... but i hope its going back up under swedish laws (like the pirate bay) there gonna be the next thing to try to be shut down.

i agree but also disagree with what people say.  i know people see BT has a motive for shifting around illegal copyrighted music, and yes alot of that should be stopped, but they will never stop it!

585194231[/snapback]

They don't really expect to completely stop it, they know they can't... what they expect to do is slow it to a crawl by raising the pain-point to a level where most people no longer see it as a viable option.

What people like you generally fail to realize is that you actions will almost assuredly result in "cures" that are far worse for the consumer, such as "convincing" ($$$) governments to enact laws that give the content owners sweeping legal options against violators, or the development of new media formats that allow virtually no reasonable use options for the consumer.

I honestly expect to see the RIAA & MPAA eventually attacking the ISPs... what better way to stop this activity than preventing the users from accessing the Internet in the 1st place. Downloading copywrited materials is already a TOU violation of every major ISP, so it wouldn't be any great sweat for them to kill your account as soon as they receive notice of legal action... and I wouldn't expect an ISP to spend the money fighting for their customer's ability to break the law.

and eventually artist will give up, and have to WORK like the rest of us.

This is such a ridiculous thing to say... you obviously have no idea how much work, talent, & skill it takes to produce movies, TV shows, music, etc...

If any monkey could do it then they would... it's the top 1% of the top 1% that can produce something that will equate volume sales, and they work long hours doing it. My brother is an editor in Hollywood, and he works incredibly long hours on his projects, and the reason he commands such a high salary is because he does something that neither you nor I could do! The quality of his work helps put people's butts into movie theatre seats, which means return on investments, and hopefully profits (not every movie makes profits you know).

How do I know you can't do it? Because you DON'T... so try to quell you jealousy of those who can, and find something that you can do that will allow you to earn a decent living.

Oh, BTW... :p

umm, i dont know about your sarcasm...  but i hope its going back up under swedish laws (like the pirate bay)  there gonna be the next thing to try to be shut down.

585194637[/snapback]

They are developing a completely decentralized network of tracking torrents. I'm guessing tomorrow is the official launch of "Exeem".

I think one of the other problems is that the law is so vague that some people don't know that what they are sharing is illegal.  I download unlicensed anime all the time and I still haven't gotten an answer on whether or not I am breaking the law.  Downloading TV shows is another thing.  Is it legal or not?  One can only speculate until the MPAA or the RIAA sends you a letter.

585194177[/snapback]

Most people consult their lawyer first before engaging in activity that can land them in prison. If you can't afford consultation then don't download. It's not rocket science.

coming from a guy whos name is "Monkeys4me"

but the Canadian government prevents dumb countries (ie. USA) to get out address, names and information. It is a PRIVACY law here in Canuck land. This is a great motive of Canada, to get people to live here :D so next time, double check and make sure the person you are writing to really cares about all that. I am protected by the government, and hopefully always will be.

and NO this doesn't mean i can automatically have immunity to all this, i don't abuse the system, a few songs here and there don't hurt anyone...

Perhaps we also need to see quicker theatre to DVD releases.

The delay is related in no small part to the fact that the lead time for DVD production and distribution would set the studios up for potential disaster... any sooner than they currently do would potentially cut short profits of a hit movie. Who's going to pay to see a movie in a theatre when they can rent or buy it?

It would also cannibalize box office sales by encouraging people to wait a short time for the DVD release. As it is now, many people currently choose to wait the six months anyway. We do because we have a 3-year old, and we find it easier than dealing with a babysitter.

So what I'm saying is that if these companies stopped being greedy and created good value box sets, stop charging what seems more and more for movies, and had quicker theatre to DVD releases, they might find a decline in piracy.

Why is it that everyone says it's the media companies being greedy when they expect to be paid for their property? Isn't it GREED to want to posses the property of others without having to pay for it? IMHO the downloaders are every bit as greedy as they claim the media companies are... probably more so.

It's pretty arrogant for someone to think that they have to right to steal something not necessary for survival just because they disagree with the price and/or distribution system.

Personally, I find that if something is too expensive (IMO) I just don't buy it. If enough people do the same thing the seller will be forced to adjust their prices, and if they don't, then I do without (oh what a HORRIFIC thought!!!)... that's how the market is supposed to work.

:p

It's pretty clear about the legality of downloading movies but I still don't understand why downloading TV shows would be illegal. It's almost the same as recording it with a VCR ("timeshifting") and this already has precedence with the Sony vs. Betamax case. In fact, a DVR (e.g. TiVo) is basically the same thing as downloading a TV show to a harddrive! Either way, I don't care about the MPAA since I rarely download movies online. I'd rather watch it on a large screen with great surround sound (thank God for student discounts). I watch most of my TV shows on my computer as it is so I continue to download the TV shows that I watch on a weekly basis.