MPAA still stricking BT sites hard!

About TV shows... I started downloading them after I checked amazon and found they wern't making any DVDs of the ones I wanted. What am I supposed to do? Just sit around and wait several years for them to bring out even the first season on DVD? Then 5 more years for the next season?? I don't care if it is illegal, give me a way to watch them legally and I will do.

I honestly expect to see the RIAA & MPAA eventually attacking the ISPs... what better way to stop this activity than preventing the users from accessing the Internet in the 1st place.  Downloading copywrited materials is already a TOU violation of every major ISP, so it wouldn't be any great sweat for them to kill your account as soon as they receive notice of legal action... and I wouldn't expect an ISP to spend the money fighting for their customer's ability to break the law.

585194677[/snapback]

i'll take my ISP (BT in the UK) as an example.

1.5 million ADSL subscribers alone, each paying somewhere between ?18-30 per month.

wouldnt be too much of a stretch, considering the amount of traffic P2P consumes in all its guises, to suggest perhaps at least 50,000 (a tiny proportion) of these users are engaged in downloading illegal material.

now, taking into consideration that BT is taking the guts of about ?25 (for simplicity) from each user, theres NO chance in hell of BT ditching these users because it instantly takes ?12 million out of the coffers per month.

thats why they havent cut anyone off so far, and wont do unless they get hit for more money than they gain from keeping the customers.

i dont see some foreign MPAA or RIAA coming to one ISP in the UK and demanding a lot any time soon

I just want to point something out...

For those of you who use LokiTorrent. I wouldn't download any movies or TV shows from them, because you can probably guarantee that the torrents are now being watched...

Just something that came to mind... You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

For those of you who use LokiTorrent. I wouldn't download any movies or TV shows from them, because you can probably guarantee that the torrents are now being watched...

585198958[/snapback]

And what's the problem if they know my IP, I'm not in the USA? :ninja:

And what's the problem if they know my IP, I'm not in the USA?  :ninja:

585199021[/snapback]

This is the MPAA were talking about... Don't think they won't try and come and get ya. :laugh:

agreed the MPAA and RIAA will stop at nothing, if they would they will try to somehow repeal the 1980s rulling on videos/ect...

if they could they would charge you for your own home movies/whatnot like they could in Austrailia

They will not win in court.  :whistle:  If they did, in some magical way, going after users comes next.

Saving P2P is not what this is about, it's about stopping people have pirating content.  Get a site going offering/hosting/collecting/archiving/listing legal torrents and it will have no problem.

(Y) to the MPAA, IMO.  Stoping pirates to a key to the future of online media distrobution with fair rights to both the consumer and the studios.

585194009[/snapback]

Of course this will be thrown out of court when it comes up and the MPAA knows this, but their thinking is that if they can keep this in court long enough that it will bankrupt the one they are sueing so that they will shutdown anyways. Its a way for them to pervert the law for themselves. It doesn't matter to them or not if they win in court since it will probably never get that far.

The problem isn't P2P when it comes to piracy since in reality it has very little real affect on sales. The real pirates are those in Asia who sell these things for a profit.

I thought downloading Tv shows was legal..??

Maybe i wont be able to get some of the Family Guy episodes anymore..

585194348[/snapback]

If you live in Canada and only download for personal use it is not illegal. We pay a little extra tax on media which is suppose to go to the artists involved. Just recently they took this extra tax off of MP3 players because it was seen as "unconstitutional", that saves about $24 per unit.

Good, if you setup an illegal site distributing illegal material then you deserve it.

585194375[/snapback]

Torrents files themselves are not illegal. That is why this case will be thrownout when it comes to court. They host none of these programs. It is almost like suing a movie listing in a newspaper. Both tell you where to get the movie without actually having the movie itself.

Give em hell, loki.

585193856[/snapback]

Rock on. Don't just give 'em hell, give 'em major hell.

BT will live, and will live forever. There will be too many for the MPAA to take over.

We will find a way. :)

I doubt it, because BT also represents a free way to distribute large files.

There are people making money from setting up pay per download services, BT is a threat to them as well.

I'm totally against people using Bittorent to download movies, but I am guilty of downloading a few TV shows that never get a release here in Australia.

Perhaps, to stop people downloading TV shows, then these companies perhaps need to make the DVD sets more affordable and better value. Perhaps we also need to see quicker theatre to DVD releases.

Some TV series only package 2 shows on a disc, yet they charge between AU$25 and $35 for them. Perhaps if you got 6 - 10 episodes for $40, it might be worth buying them.

So what I'm saying is that if these companies stopped being greedy and created good value box sets, stop charging what seems more and more for movies, and had quicker theatre to DVD releases, they might find a decline in piracy.

585194298[/snapback]

i hear you...i download tv shows (british and US) off bittorrent that i miss on tv or otherwise can't get. i agree the boxsets are relatively expensive. but i'd rather them not offer the MPAA stuff than shut the site down like supernova did. there are plenty of other things that i use bittorrent for, most of which isn't movies. i use it mostly for anime.

I just want to point something out...

Just something that came to mind... You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

585198958[/snapback]

Peer Guardian or ProtoWall will take care of much of that worry since they are designed to block such things. Protowall is the better of the two, though.

Thats too bad. I dont like MPAA or RIAA. There will always be an alternative that no one seems to care about and I am not quite sure why....the newsgroups. I can get anything I want there and usually faster. With all these lawsuits, maybe they will get even better as more people move to them...dunno. :unsure:

Thats too bad. I dont like MPAA or RIAA. There will always be an alternative that no one seems to care about and I am not quite sure why....the newsgroups. I can get anything I want there and usually faster. With all these lawsuits, maybe they will get even better as more people move to them...dunno.  :unsure:

585200143[/snapback]

Its called evolution.

suing me is tantamount to suing the highway department for drug smugglers using their roads. And like the highway system, the benefits of such a system unmistakably outweigh the side-effects.

No loki its nothing like that, you are like a drug dealer, you don't make the drugs you don't force people to take them. But you do hook people up with them.

The MPAA will crush you, give up now or you could end up owing 100s of thousands of dollars in court fees and damages.

the ting is here that so meny ppl use limewire and bittorrent that evntualy that will have to give up i meant evan cops and stuff proboley download stuff from BT and P2P in canada it is alredy happining i mean we (canadians) are alowed to download and use this stuff ect. just cant distrubute it in other words we give up download away :p i mean i download some songs but it is not stoping me from buying the cd becuse i wouldent buy it anyway same wit software becuse it is expensive i know it would be hard to make it with out cash but i just dont buy cd`s or soft ware becuse it is a waist of my money becuse i might not like all the songs on the cd right.

just my 2 cents about this :no:

MPAA is just another association here to be the "good cop" and believe they can put an end to P2P BT. But remember, theres 100,000,000 users out there with a totally different mind of thinking. This is why eXeem will be another program they will have to get around. sucks to be RIAA and MPAA right now.

I LOVE CANADA!

No loki its nothing like that, you are like a drug dealer, you don't make the drugs you don't force people to take them. But you do hook people up with them.

Wrong, Loki is like the newspaper's movie listings. A drug dealer directly provides the drugs, Loki doesn't.

The MPAA will crush you, give up now or you could end up owing 100s of thousands of dollars in court fees and damages.

585200634[/snapback]

All it will take eventually is a class action suite against groups like MPAA and the RIAA to expose them for what they truly are since they work to circumvent the law. What they are doing is like having sex to protect one's virginity. They say that it is wrong when people break the law by downloading yet they ignore the law themselves when they work to circumvent it in order to get what they want. If Loki's case goes to court the MPAA's case will be thrown out because it has no legal merit since Loki isn't doing anything that is actually illegal. The MPAA hopes that this will never actually get to court because of this and that they can bankrupt Loki before it even gets to it. Court is the last thing they actually want.

i'll take my ISP (BT in the UK) as an example.

1.5 million ADSL subscribers alone, each paying somewhere between ?18-30 per month.

wouldnt be too much of a stretch, considering the amount of traffic P2P consumes in all its guises, to suggest perhaps at least 50,000 (a tiny proportion) of these users are engaged in downloading illegal material.

now, taking into consideration that BT is taking the guts of about ?25 (for simplicity) from each user, theres NO chance in hell of BT ditching these users because it instantly takes ?12 million out of the coffers per month.

thats why they havent cut anyone off so far, and wont do unless they get hit for more money than they gain from keeping the customers.

i dont see some foreign MPAA or RIAA coming to one ISP in the UK and demanding a lot any time soon

585198931[/snapback]

If they begin going after them you?ll definitely see the ISPs begin to actively enforce their TOUs? it?ll be necessary for them to do so to show that they?re taking reasonable steps to prevent illegal activities from occurring on their network. If they fail to do this they?ll leave themselves open to potential punitive damage awards which could bankrupt their company.

Besides, they won?t have to terminate every account anyway? if they begin sending out violation notices & publicly terminating a handful of accounts most of the others will snap into line. People are willing to take the chance of illegal downloading as long as they feel the chance of getting caught & punished are low? as soon as that changes, most of them will give it up.

When the RIAA first began suing individuals the volume of illegal file sharing dropped dramatically, but as soon as they encountered their legal setbacks (the inability to obtain the PII of alleged offenders without a court order), and people felt safe downloading the files again, the level of activity rose.

Anyone that believes that their ISP is going to spend millions in legal fees to fight for the ability of their users to violate copyright laws is deluding themselves. At the very least, the ISPs would be happy to see a decline in P2P usage since it accounts for an enormous amount of bandwidth that they have to pay for every month. That means it cuts into their profits? and if you think their in business for anything other than maximizing their profits, you?re more than delusional? you?re batsh*t crazy!!!

I personally stopped downloading illegally a long time ago, just because i didnt want to get sued. Now i do something which is far more illegal *cough* blockbuster* and i'll never get caught!!!! they cant track what isnt connected to the web! heheheh!

GIVE EM HELL!!

I personally stopped downloading illegally a long time ago, just because i didnt want to get sued. Now i do something which is far more illegal *cough* blockbuster* and i'll never get caught!!!! they cant track what isnt connected to the web! heheheh!

GIVE EM HELL!!

585201104[/snapback]

Yeah brother!!! ROCK ON :p