Xbox or Gamecube - Game wise

Okay, I've been wanting a second console for a bit now and I'm not one who usually asks opinion for these kind of choices but I just don't know much about either of these two. Once I buy either of these consoles, it's not for multi-platform games but more so for exclusive ones such as Metroid Prime or Halo.

With the Gamecube being a bit under AU$200 here and Xbox $300, I've been leaning towards Nintendo's console, yet, the problem is I don't know about the games, if a game like Metroid Prime: Echoes is any good or if it's even worth buying (the console) for just single player.

Xbox on the other hand, I know a few games I would most likely buy and there's also a special for it with it bundled with Halo: Combat Evolved and Top Spin. I will be a bit picky with my game collection on my secondary console. I know I won't even touch Halo: Combat Evolved as I already own it for the computer and don't even like it. The other option is buying the console and two controllers which is the Crystal edition...

In conclusion, which do you think will be more fun for a young, teenager who doesn't really play multiplayer games (besides online gaming) quite often - Microsoft's Xbox or Nintendo's Gamecube? I don't really want just "Get an Xbox" or "Gamecube is the way" kind of reply, it's not going to affect how I feel about each console and I actually need reasons why one is greater (for me) over the other.

There are very few games of the Halo/Metroid Prime genre on GameCube (other than MP obviously). Whereas on XBOX you have a lot larger range. Honestly I'd probalby only get a GameCube for the Mario games, but it's you tastes that dictate the terms.

You say that you do play online - in that case, you might like XBOX Live - most Live enabled games now come with a 3 month trial.

I'm not only specifically looking for first-person shooter games, I was just using them as examples, hehe and about the Mario games, are the games still fun even playing it with one player? I assume they aren't after awhile.

I'm not only specifically looking for first-person shooter games, I was just using them as examples, hehe and about the Mario games, are the games still fun even playing it with one player? I assume they aren't after awhile.

585221259[/snapback]

Ahh - ok. Probably should base it one whether you prefer Nintendo 64 or PC (assuming you have played games on both). N64=NGC, PC=XBOX.

I honestly have no idea with the Mario games - only ever got to play 'em in the shop (on GC). However I can say that I still whip out my NES and enjoy playing Super Mario Bros. - to this day! :laugh:

BTW if you like online - XBOX Live is probably the best system I've encountered.

585221259[/snapback]

Go here: Link

...and scroll down to the section that says "Is Xbox right for you?". :)

I'd say Xbox. Even if you're mostly intrested in the exclusives, you're still gonna find a lot more on the Xbox. Becides, you're gonna prefer to play those multi-platform games on the Xbox, since it's technically superior to PS2.

Believe me Metroid Prime isn't all that. I usually finish most FPS games I get my hands on, but Prime really bored me about halfway through. There's still some fun exclusives like Zelda Wind Waker and F-Zero GX, but unless you want Resident Evil 4 right now, I'd go for the Xbox.

X-Box for sure, X-Box Live alone is a good enough reason to get it, but on top of X-Box live, it has GREAT games and not to mention amazing visuals.

xbx- platformers look better on xbx-

ex: sphinx.

the character looks faded n' washed out on gamecube- while on xbx they're crystal clear.

the gc runs blur's to mask graphical shortcomings- which tends to b hard on the eyes.

(i also noticed this in starfox, although starfox by rare was such an awesome game- it's the reason to buy a gc)

- o, and don't get a gc for fps- should b common knowledge.

i got die hard: vendetta n' the control sukd so freakin much- stupid c button stick going clunk clunkity clunk- headshots my arse.

X-Box for sure, X-Box Live alone is a good enough reason to get it, but on top od X-Box live it has GREAT games and not to mention amazing visuals.

585223244[/snapback]

he just said he's not going to play multiplayer. damn. atleast read the first post before you reply.

he just said he's not going to play multiplayer. damn. atleast read the first post before you reply.

585223253[/snapback]

And i dont have the right to express my opinions?

I can say what i want in this thread, as long as its on the subject, which it was.

I'd recommend Gamecube. Gamecube has some of the best exclusive titles and they are all enjoyable.

>Metroid Prime 2

>Paper Mario

>Zelda: The Wind Waker

>Super Smash Bros. Melee

>Resident Evil 4

>Baten Kaitos

>Animal Crossing

>Metroid Prime

>Pikmin

>Pikmin 2

Just to name a few...

Nope, Xbox fails miserably for the games part, Nintendo has all the memorable fun to play addictive games, they're not all cutsie either, theres, don't judge mind that link up there it's just to some crappy forum post. Gamecube for sure though, you save a ton of money you can use to buy some more great games with.

I'd say GC. I definitely do not find the exclusives on XBOX to be as high quality as the GC ones. Some unmentioned games such as Eternal Darkness are gems and that is why I like GC so much: they might not have a wide range, but I'm not going to buy a ton of games. I only buy the excellent games and GC gives me those.

I'd recommend Gamecube. Gamecube has some of the best exclusive titles and they are all enjoyable.

>Metroid Prime 2

>Paper Mario

>Super Smash Bros. Melee

>Resident Evil 4

>Baten Kaitos

>Animal Crossing

>Metroid Prime

>Pikmin

>Pikmin 2

Just to name a few...

585223295[/snapback]

Now lets cross the ones out that arent for 2 year olds..

>Metroid Prime 2

>Super Smash Bros. Melee

>Resident Evil 4

>Baten Kaitos < wtf is this ?

>Metroid Prime

I have all 3 consoles, and I havn't turned my gamecube on in a year. I play my PS2 and Xbox ALL the time but never touch my gamecube. Mainly because it hurts my eyes. It blurs stuff as a crappy attempt to antialias and I cant play like that. Another is the controller it just doesn't have enough buttons to work with alot of games.

My vote goes for Xbox.

I'd say Xbox. Even if you're mostly intrested in the exclusives, you're still gonna find a lot more on the Xbox. Becides, you're gonna prefer to play those multi-platform games on the Xbox, since it's technically superior to PS2.

Believe me Metroid Prime isn't all that. I usually finish most FPS games I get my hands on, but Prime really bored me about halfway through. There's still some fun exclusives like Zelda Wind Waker and F-Zero GX, but unless you want Resident Evil 4 right now, I'd go for the Xbox.

585223221[/snapback]

GameCube is also technically superior to the PS2, and this shows up in ports.

Metroid Prime is an absolutely terrible FPS, I agree. Good thing it makes for a great adventure game.

(i also noticed this in starfox, although starfox by rare was such an awesome game- it's the reason to buy a gc)

- o, and don't get a gc for fps- should b common knowledge.

i got die hard: vendetta n' the control sukd so freakin much- stupid c button stick going clunk clunkity clunk- headshots my arse.

585223246[/snapback]

Dude. Starfox sucked. It's the reason most Cube fans weren't broken up about the sale of Rare.

Die Hard's problem isn't the console. That's among the worst games to come out this generation, try Timesplitters 2 or 3.

>Metroid Prime 2

>Super Smash Bros. Melee

>Resident Evil 4

>Metroid Prime

I have all 3 consoles, and I havn't turned my gamecube on in a year.  I play my PS2 and Xbox ALL the time but never touch my gamecube.  Mainly because it hurts my eyes.  It blurs stuff as a crappy attempt to antialias and I cant play like that.  Another is the controller it just doesn't have enough buttons to work with alot of games. 

My vote goes for Xbox.

585223699[/snapback]

:blink:

Baten Kaitos is one of the best RPGs of the year, as is Tales of Symphonia and yes, Paper Mario 2.

Pikmin 2 is among the best games to come out this year, and I doubt a two year old could even grasp the concept. I'd say something about the first Pikmin, but 2 bests it in every way and is far superior. OMG, TEH PRIMRY COLOURS!!!! KIDDY!!!!

Animal Crossing is amazing, who cares what it looks like. Unless of course you dislike games like the Sims, in which case you probably wouldn't like this.

Viewtiful Joe 2 is also great. Super Monkey Ball (oh noes!! monkey balls!!!)

Blur, you sure you aren't comparing a component Xbox hookup to RF or something? The antialiasing, when used, is the same type of hardware antialiasing found on Xbox - PS2 is the one that does a straight software blur that looks terrible.

You sure you aren't picking up on texture filtering differences that the developers have created? That always seems to happen to one version of a port - sometimes the PS2 is the one affected, sometimes even Xbox gets the short end of the stick.

Not playing a game in a year is purely on you. There have been amazing games released in 2004. Not enough buttons is an issue... for multiplatform games that use a lot of buttons.

Gamecube is also the weakest system of the 3.

585224865[/snapback]

Hardware-wise?

Wow, I'd love to hear this explaination.

Edit: Well, I see you added "sort of..."

I'm still strangely interested in seeing how it's even physically possible to think that.

Metroid Prime is an absolutely terrible FPS, I agree. Good thing it makes for a great adventure game.

Dude. Starfox sucked. It's the reason most Cube fans weren't broken up about the sale of Rare.

Die Hard's problem isn't the console. That's among the worst games to come out this generation, try Timesplitters 2 or 3.

:blink:

Baten Kaitos is one of the best RPGs of the year, as is Tales of Symphonia and yes, Paper Mario 2.

Pikmin 2 is among the best games to come out this year, and I doubt a two year old could even grasp the concept. I'd say something about the first Pikmin, but 2 bests it in every way and is far superior. OMG, TEH PRIMRY COLOURS!!!! KIDDY!!!!

Animal Crossing is amazing, who cares what it looks like. Unless of course you dislike games like the Sims, in which case you probably wouldn't like this.

Viewtiful Joe 2 is also great. Super Monkey Ball (oh noes!! monkey balls!!!)

Blur, you sure you aren't comparing a component Xbox hookup to RF or something? The antialiasing, when used, is the same type of hardware antialiasing found on Xbox - PS2 is the one that does a straight software blur that looks terrible.

You sure you aren't picking up on texture filtering differences that the developers have created? That always seems to happen to one version of a port - sometimes the PS2 is the one affected, sometimes even Xbox gets the short end of the stick.

Not playing a game in a year is purely on you. There have been amazing games released in 2004. Not enough buttons is an issue... for multiplatform games that use a lot of buttons.

585224838[/snapback]

starfox didn't suk- zelda windwaker sukd, mayamotos half assed attempt to say '****, the good looking zelda isnt' near complete- better get a quick money maker out'.

and timesplitters doesn't play any better than vendetta /w the crappy gc control.

as far as technological superiority to ps2, overall, yes- but the multi console titles look better on the xbx and have better control, btw- i have a gc and do play it too.

and the blur issue?

compare sphinx, xbx n' gc version- i have s-vid on all systems /w monster cable n' play on a pc monitor- the gamecube tends to look like **** across the board.

remember the n64? the gc still blurs textures and even sometimes silhouettes characters in blur to fake smooth models.

and i'm not talking about anti-aliasing.

and i'll say it again- gc control sux- i was hoping to b able to use the n64 control, but no- in nintendo's genius they gave us the clunky piece of crap featured on the gamecube.

and no- nintendo was completely idiotic to release rare (basically they couldn't afford them anymore) because rare carried the n64.

but hell- they're now on the xbx- which means good control and grafix to my fav games, so i'm not crying.

starfox is the only reason to buy a gc- mayamoto's a dried up fruit- steven spielberg anyone?

Edited by Dark_INk

>Metroid Prime 2

>Super Smash Bros. Melee

>Resident Evil 4

>Metroid Prime

I have all 3 consoles, and I havn't turned my gamecube on in a year.  I play my PS2 and Xbox ALL the time but never touch my gamecube.  Mainly because it hurts my eyes.  It blurs stuff as a crappy attempt to antialias and I cant play like that.  Another is the controller it just doesn't have enough buttons to work with alot of games. 

My vote goes for Xbox.

585223699[/snapback]

No offence but you're an idiot.

The Rock says who gives a **** if it's kiddie all it's meant to be is fun. There is nothing that annoys The Rock more than Xbox fanboys.

585223253[/snapback]

And what about this?

teenager who doesn't really play multiplayer games (besides online gaming) quite often
Hardware-wise?

Wow, I'd love to hear this explaination.

Edit: Well, I see you added "sort of..."

I'm still strangely interested in seeing how it's even physically possible to think that.

585224876[/snapback]

For a good take at the hardware of the 3 consoles, check this.

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1561

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1566

Anyway, it's all about the games you want to play. I myself chose the Xbox for games such as:

Halo 1/2

DOA: Ultimate

Mechassault 1/2

Crimson Skies

Kotor 1/2

ESPN NBA/NFL 2K5

Project Gotham Racing 1/2

Rallisport Challenge 1/2

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Ninja Gaiden

Chronicles of Riddick

Fable

I cant even wait for some other upcoming games: Forza Motorsport, Jade Empire, Doom3.

If youre not into these games though, go with the GC and the games that kryptonik suggested.

No offence but you're an idiot.

The Rock says who gives a **** if it's kiddie all it's meant to be is fun. There is nothing that annoys The Rock more than Xbox fanboys.

585224947[/snapback]

I'm an idiot? Listen to how you talk? Im not Xbox fanboy... I just have higher gameplay standards than you (Danrarbc641's sig) :rofl:

I play my PS2 and Xbox and PC all the time, last time I played Gamcube was when I got Metroid Prime which I stopped halfway through because it was hurting my eyes.

There are some good games on gamcube but not enough and if the game is on the other consoles then you get it on one of them simply because the gamecube controller sucks. Its feels good but its weird, all the buttons are shaped different and there just isn't enough of them.

And what about this?

For a good take at the hardware of the 3 consoles, check this.

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1561

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1566

585224975[/snapback]

Final Words

Both the GameCube and Xbox are clearly superior to the PS2 in terms of the quality of the graphics seen in games available today. The transition from PS2 to GameCube and/or Xbox is a fairly large leap, but going between GameCube and Xbox is a bit less dramatic.

From what we've seen based on the launch titles that are currently available, the Xbox takes the crown in terms of visual appeal from games today. Titles such as Rogue Squadron II and Super Smash Brothers Melee for the GameCube do show off some of the Cube's power but the graphics quality does not match what titles like DOA3 are able to produce on the Xbox.

It's entirely too early to crown one platform a winner but based on specifications alone, Xbox is the more powerful console overall. Although the Flipper GPU's use of 1T-SRAM embedded into its die improves performance considerably, the overall package is not as powerful as the Intel/NVIDIA combination beneath the Xbox hood. Features such as real-time Dolby Digital Encoding as well as a very powerful programmable T&L core whose instruction sets have been publicly available for the past year now are only the tip of the iceberg. The inclusion of isochronous channels within the Xbox's HyperTransport link guarantee uninterrupted bandwidth to those tasks that require it which is very important when dealing with something like DD encoding, streaming off of the hard disk or network accesses.

What Nintendo has going for themselves is a console with tremendous amount of support, a history of great first party titles as well as a tremendous focus on gameplay and quality. The GameCube is very efficiently designed and is undoubtedly cheaper to manufacture because of the Gekko/Flipper chips; with the exception of the Xbox it is leaps and bounds beyond the other consoles and should be a healthy competitor in the future as well.

On the desktop side of things, Xbox gave us a preview of what to expect from the next-generation NVIDIA part but what does ArtX's Flipper design tell us about the direction ATI will be going in the years to come? It's clear that ArtX's technology could have benefited from ATI's intervention, but ATI acquired the company for a reason and it's what ArtX can contribute to ATI that we are most intrigued with.

As usual, only time will tell the outcome of this and many questions we've asked throughout this article and series. We hope you've enjoyed our coverage on both Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube.

Again, where does it say weakest? I never said the Cube was stronger than Xbox. Just one comparison between Conker and Resident Evil 4 shows the Xbox is far and away more capable.

I'm just clearing some things up here. I've never said he shouldn't get Xbox. In fact, from what he's said about his tastes, he'd be happy with either console.

I'm an idiot? Listen to how you talk? Im not Xbox fanboy... I just have higher gameplay standards than you (Danrarbc641's sig)

I play my PS2 and Xbox and PC all the time, last time I played Gamcube was when I got Metroid Prime which I stopped halfway through because it was hurting my eyes.

585224990[/snapback]

I couldn't let Alpha have all the fun could I? :p

So you actually haven't touched it in 2 years?

Edited by Danrarbc641

585224838[/snapback]

Mm but GC owners cannot be guaranteed a multi-platform release for GC, and it shows because Gamecube simply doesn't get the same amount of releases that Xbox and PS2 does. And when you take in consideration that the Xbox version is always the smoothest of the different versions, there really isn't that much left to discuss from the multi-platform aspect.