A List of Apps, Reviewed

thx for the response, i'll add speedfan thx, but about the bt clients - i didn't really find much speed differences, although i just found a nice little setting change in bitcomet which nicely sped it up :p, but i plan to take a much closer look at the various bt clients, all in due time :)

585594081[/snapback]

few things man.

BitComet.. RULES! i have totally switched over. no more bitTornado :p

thanks for the PM update :D

very very useful thread... 5 star thread rating

Nice Updates

585815928[/snapback]

thank you

nice keep the reviews comin :D

585830165[/snapback]

will do

very very useful thread...  5 star thread rating

585830380[/snapback]

glad to hear :)

i would like to see you test a number of dvd burning programs because i at this moment use nero ( the newest one with everything) vision express three and it works all right but sometimes when i put it's priority on normal or below and not give it a bunch of resources it ****s up my dvd's. i reall :( y need something better. THNX

• 2 weeks later...
Dude that is alot of files nice work.

585857535[/snapback]

u mean apps? :p

nice job man i will def use this you should look into xoftspy... its a really nice program for spywere removle i love it and use it all the time

http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/

585859507[/snapback]

will add to my to-do list :)

i would like to see you test a number  of dvd burning programs because i at this moment use nero ( the newest one with everything) vision express three and it works all right but sometimes when i put it's priority on normal or below and not give it a bunch of resources it ****s up my dvd's. i reall :( y need something better. THNX

585867357[/snapback]

currently I don't have a dvd burner, but I'm getting one soon and will start some very soon. I suggest you see cdburner xp pro for now ;)

Thats a sweet convinience, somethign jsut recently happened with my AVG Antivirus... I'll try Avast!

thanks a lot man!

585868730[/snapback]

no problem, hope you like avast :)

I disagree with your comment on SoulSeek. When it comes to downloading music files and music videos I haven't found a program that's better. For anything else I don't bother using it though.

Oh, and a note on Ares, it's only good if you're trying to download less than 15 files, it caps the downloads for some stupid reason and you can't set an order for it to download locally paused files.

very nice thread :) ... thankx man :)

585977059[/snapback]

no problem :D

updated to v. 0.254

RECENT CHANGES

updated ares, bearshare, limewire, filedevil, windows media player, foobar and ad-aware

added scanner, spacemonger, jdiskreport, acronis true image, norton ghost, window washer, taskswitcherxp pro, cabos, torrentsearch, cataclysm and admuncher

added more apps to do

This is a great thread. But, how do I know which one to pick. You have Good or Bad. You should have one that stands out. What defragger do I pick? What media player? When you say give it a try, you say that to everyone that's not utter....

i also tell you which one I use... you should try whichever seems will work for you the best. when i had just what I used I got posts about how they despised the app I had chosen... I can't satisfy everyone.

Hey, I thought i should add a few more recomendations

FastStone Photo Resizer ->fast and very easy to use allows compression of many image formats and conversions its freeware

Also Media Player Classic which is more lightwieght than WMP10 and plays just as many files maybe more.. (plus has a built in audio sync)

For Burning check out Alcohol 120%

Other things that are equal to Nlite, UnattendXP(freeware)

Autoit is also a nicce little tool to automate tasks done on the computer, After compiling a script you can put it in scheduled task to run later, for example run spyware scan and clean everything then reboot etc.(freeware)

Some Video Software

(below are all freeware)

VCDGear

Gspot (checks codecs etc of video)

DvD Decrypter

Dvd shrink

autogk (dvd -> divx/xvid) (spyware but with winpatrol it wont install

nandub (for audio stuff in videos)

vdub

vdub mod

avi-mux for easy demux and remux of audo / video from avi files (very fast)

Also Nod32 antivirus although you need to pay its really good

and kerio / zonealarm/sygate firewalls

I sue nod32 and it is an EXCELLENT AV. Low memory usage, updated almost EVERY day without fail. You can automate most every task. The control center is user friendly and easy on the eyes. It scans VERY fast. One ofthe best I have ever used. You can use their trial and if you like, but it. Altho I am sure there are more unscrupulous ways of doing it :happy:

On a happier note, this is an EXCELLENT guide and it is what lured me to this site. Something this good isn't just on ANY site.

On a happier note, this is an EXCELLENT guide and it is what lured me to this site. Something this good isn't just on ANY site.

586002621[/snapback]

yes, exactly. it is only found on our fantastic neowin :happy: *inches closer to becoming a mod :ninja: *

btw welcome to neowin legendz411, and keep the grat work up slimy! :cool:

Thank you for the welcoming, and I forgot to say a BIG thank you to slimy. As this gets updated with more and more stuff it will become even more awesome. I've re-directed many friends with questions bout APP's to this guide. I love it.

Hey, I thought i should add a few more recomendations

FastStone Photo Resizer ->fast and very easy to use allows compression of many image formats and conversions its freeware

Also Media Player Classic which is more lightwieght than WMP10 and plays just as many files maybe more.. (plus has a built in audio sync)

For Burning check out Alcohol 120%

Other things that are equal to Nlite, UnattendXP(freeware)

Autoit is also a nicce little tool to automate tasks done on the computer, After compiling a script you can put it in scheduled task to run later, for example run spyware scan and clean everything then reboot etc.(freeware)

Some Video Software

(below are all freeware)

VCDGear

Gspot (checks codecs etc of video)

DvD Decrypter

Dvd shrink

autogk (dvd -> divx/xvid) (spyware but with winpatrol it wont install

nandub (for audio stuff in videos)

vdub

vdub mod

avi-mux for easy demux and remux of audo / video from avi files (very fast)

Also Nod32 antivirus although you need to pay its really good

and kerio / zonealarm/sygate firewalls

585991875[/snapback]

thx for the list, will be adding some of them shortly

I sue nod32 and it is an EXCELLENT AV. Low memory usage, updated almost EVERY day without fail. You can automate most every task. The control center is user friendly and easy on the eyes. It scans VERY fast. One ofthe best I have ever used. You can use their trial and if you like, but it. Altho I am sure there are more unscrupulous ways of doing it  :happy:

586002621[/snapback]

:D thank you and welcome to neowin

yes, exactly. it is only found on our fantastic neowin  :happy: *inches closer to becoming a mod  :ninja: *

btw welcome to neowin legendz411, and keep the grat work up slimy!  :cool:

586002682[/snapback]

will do :)

Thank you for the welcoming, and I forgot to say a BIG thank you to slimy. As this gets updated with more and more stuff it will become even more awesome. I've re-directed many friends with questions bout APP's to this guide. I love it.

586006732[/snapback]

didn't think people outside neowin would be using the thread, great to hear

Yeh, this definately is worth a read. Saved me installing a few lots of crapware on my comp ;)

586007249[/snapback]

thanks!

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, my goal is to get the thread up to a 5/5 so i'll be working to add more apps, might be in a while tho as exams are coming up ;)