What do you like the most about Apple Hardware?

What do you like the most about Apple's hardware? (excluding the ipod)

for me:

Pro:

- No legacy bs (floppy, serial, printer port)

- All external hardware is usb/firewire

- looks awesome

- good quality

Con:

- Expensive

- Harder to upgrade

I agree with all the above. Also, the fact that it's very well built. My Dell Inspiron just seems so cheaply built compared to my parents' Titanium Powerbook.

Hardware - simply it's the design, mixed with performance. As a unit, I appreciate how intergrated the hardware and software feels, in all walks of connectivity/device. Be it, iPod via FireWire, Digital Camera via USB, or my phone via Bluetooth ... etc etc...

I can only speak of the 12" Powerbook, the only Mac system I have:

+ Looks good

+ Slot-loading CD/DVD Drive

+ Metallic casing

- LCD (Not bright enough for me)

- Price

Edited by fuzzy_logic

I like it how they dont upgrade their design's all the time and outdate their old stuff. They just stick to one awesome design, with no confusing numbering system or the like.

Their product line is so small, lik e15 products total or something

"All external hardware is usb/firewire"

as opposed to what?

its not like pc's connect to external drives with a serial port.

585461672[/snapback]

sure but why not just get rid of all those old ports? i mean why do i need a serial port built in my motherboard? i remember xmas 2003 when i built my last pc, i spent quite a bit of time looking for a board that wouldn't have any legacy stuff (i didnt mind paying extra for it) and i didnt manage to find one :( i did disable them from the bios but i just wish it wouldnt be there at all

sure but why not just get rid of all those old ports? i mean why do i need a serial port built in my motherboard? i remember xmas 2003 when i built my last pc, i spent quite a bit of time looking for a board that wouldn't have any legacy stuff (i didnt mind paying extra for it) and i didnt manage to find one :(  i did disable them from the bios but i just wish it wouldnt be there at all

585461951[/snapback]

you still havent answered my question. you said all external hardware is usb/firewire. there is no modern day pc hardware that does not use those connection methods. not having serial ports does not make your computer faster or anything. i dont understand why youd deisable them from the bios.

What do you like the most about Apple's hardware? (excluding the ipod)

for me:

Pro:

- No legacy bs (floppy, serial, printer port)

585461632[/snapback]

if apple was making the majority of the market though they'd have legacy stuff in them like heck also... the reason IBM based systems have all that still is because people still use it! serial ports are used a lot in mfg processes to connect machines that were made a while ago and cost millions to make to computers, they arn't going to put new machines just because computer tech has changed. Legacy has a reason on IBM based PC's

one more thing about the "legacy" ports aka serial and parellel... they are really nice for hardware developers and hobby hardware makers... you have 8 direct data lines on a LPT port and a data stream on a serial port, it makes it very easy to transmit data from a computer to a device you might of made yourself with out needing to write drivers for it or create a USB interface between your device and the system which is a LOT harder to do then just take a direct bit stream or a byte at a time like LPT does with the data lines in it...

I would have to say the fact that I can play back full resolution DVD encoded H264 videos on a 500MHz computer that is six years old and have it play beautifully. I have 500 MHz K6-2's and Pentiums and they won't do that.

Then again, I have a dual-cpu G5 that I can encode four DVD's at the same time on, run Mail iTunes Safari iChat Pages AND play World of Warcraft and still play at 60 FPS all the time. I find that to be freaking amazing. I have not seen a PC yet that will do that.

if apple was making the majority of the market though they'd have legacy stuff in them like heck also... the reason IBM based systems have all that still is because people still use it! serial ports are used a lot in mfg processes to connect machines that were made a while ago and cost millions to make to computers, they arn't going to put new machines just because computer tech has changed. Legacy has a reason on IBM based PC's

585462018[/snapback]

im not saying they shouldnt have them at all, im just saying modern pc should come without them as a standard and if you want them you can by a more expensive board that would include them or a pci card

I would have to say the fact that I can play back full resolution DVD encoded H264 videos on a 500MHz computer that is six years old and have it play beautifully. I have 500 MHz K6-2's and Pentiums and they won't do that.

Then again, I have a dual-cpu G5 that I can encode four DVD's at the same time on, run Mail iTunes Safari iChat Pages AND play World of Warcraft and still play at 60 FPS all the time. I find that to be freaking amazing. I have not seen a PC yet that will do that.

585462156[/snapback]

I don't have any problems doing something similar to that using our dual xeon EMT64 systems at work either so your point is? :rolleyes: the problem is you're compareing unlike systems, the terms workstation, PC and server shouldn't apply when compareing... the specifications of the system should... dual processors should be compared to dual processors... not saying a dual processor outperforms a single proc system... which is just common sense that if you have apps writen for a dual proc they of coure will....

the packaging?

having white boxes is moronic.

by the time it reaches your door it's brown.

585462261[/snapback]

Yea, abit like having white clothes - they get dirty quicker... Or brushing your teeth - why bother when they'll get dirty the following day? :rolleyes: