Friend getting me mad about cars..

threetonesun, you're right, just looked at the standings and chevy is winning. Every race I've seen has had dodge win.

585488942[/snapback]

Granted, those are both race modified cars, and the new Viper hardtops are just hitting the market.

I certainly wouldn't mind drag racing a buddy Z06 to Viper :p

actually there are good blow-off valves for turboes. It helps the turbo spool down.

Of course finding somebody with one is tricky, they usually are those crappy fakes

The fake ones are present on wannabes that don't have forced induction.

I'm not sure what you mean by good ones. A bov is just part of a turbocharged setup. There are aftermarket ones that are loud. You don't even need an 'upgraded' one unless your using much larger turbos than stock or maybe considerably higher boost.

That is unless you add turbos and buy one for the coolness factor I guess.

The fake ones are present on wannabes that don't have forced induction.

I'm not sure what you mean by good ones. A bov is just part of a turbocharged setup. There are aftermarket ones that are loud. You don't even need an 'upgraded' one unless your using much larger turbos than stock or maybe considerably higher boost.

That is unless you add turbos and buy one for the coolness factor I guess.

585489116[/snapback]

It's common for people who add a turbo to a non turbo'd car to add the blowoff and intercooler/piping seperately. Which can lead to a mishmash of parts, and usually a very loud, very unneccesary BOV.

woot i was able to find some pics on my server of his civic

here they are friends

1.JPG

585487858[/snapback]

ok, so am i the only one who notices the front mount in your friend's car? can you say turbo? ive seen turbo civics take out vipers...

your friend might not be all talk. ask him for a list of mods please. that is not just a cold air intake and an ecu mod.

it's always funny to see people who drive civics think they can beat any car. my friend has a modded civic, and my other friend has a focus. they raced, focus one. your friend's full of crap.

i hate rice... if you want to do something get a b18 swap and boost it.

boosted cars on the other hand are nice... my focus will soon be boosted (im building the motor up first) then im gonna try for 250-300WHP. :)

HAHA john ^^^ i love how you just mentioned me

oh and john his car was a modified civic (its got intake, "exhaust" if you can call it that, and a short shifter)... that car is a SOHC D16Y8 motor, which is 1.6L 127 BHP. My DOHC ZeTEC Focus rated @ 130BHP with only a performance exhaust, yes a real exhaust system, not some fart cannon, mines got the deep 350z-like sound, and adds 5hp, i don't even have a short shifter, AND my clutch is more worn than his). Civics suck. I had him by a car and a half

your friend might not be all talk.  ask him for a list of mods please.  that is not just a cold air intake and an ecu mod.

585490925[/snapback]

I have to agree, I didn't think about it until now though. You don't simply do a ECU mod for no mods. The point of a ECU mod is to compensate for what ever changes have been done to the car. I completely looked past that.

If he is turbocharged, there is a possibility he could (and I emphasize the word COULD) take a Viper. Probably not, but still, I've seen other miracles.

boosted cars on the other hand are nice... my focus will soon be boosted (im building the motor up first) then im gonna try for 250-300WHP. :)

...i don't even have a short shifter, AND my clutch is more worn than his).  Civics suck.  I had him by a car and a half

585490940[/snapback]

Why not just do a 5.0 swap? You'd have 300 whp with no mods.

Oh, and short shifters don't make you go faster ;)

I have to agree, I didn't think about it until now though. You don't simply do a ECU mod for no mods. The point of a ECU mod is to compensate for what ever changes have been done to the car. I completely looked past that.

585491221[/snapback]

Not true. Very often cars from the factory run pretty basic timings and A/F ratios. A lot of modern cars can benefit a great deal from a stock ECU tune, and even more once they've been modified.

yea ive seen civics do high 8s an 9s but those are complete modified engines. also the car that ran the high 8s is a 1.4l d series motor, it was featured in a magazine as the worlds fastest civic. i dont kno if it still has that reign but the point is that it can be done. so to all the people bashing civics i guess they are all rich kids who can afford whatever they want.

ok, so am i? the only one who notices the front mount in your friend's car?? can you say turbo?? ive seen turbo civics take out vipers...

your friend might not be all talk.? ask him for a list of mods please.? that is not just a cold air intake and an ecu mod.

585490925[/snapback]

: cough :

Are you sure that's your friend's? Because you said all he has is CAI and some ECU mods, but I see exhaust and an intercooler. Still though, he can't beat a Viper with that. There's no way.

585488308[/snapback]

yea ive seen civics do high 8s an 9s but those are complete modified engines.  also the car that ran the high 8s is a 1.4l d series motor, it was featured in a magazine as the worlds fastest civic.  i dont kno if it still has that reign but the point is that it can be done.  so to all the people bashing civics i guess they are all rich kids who can afford whatever they want.

585493516[/snapback]

You know how much money it would have taken to get that 8 second civic? A lot more than buying a viper or a corvette.

Besides, it's just logic. You start with a good car and modify that, you get a really good car. Start with a crap car, you get a decent car. A civic will NEVER handle nearly as well at high speeds as a better car would. Doing the drag, sure, a civic CAN win (with heavy mods and loads of money), but going around corners, the suspension's just not meant for it and it never will be.

hehehe... he bought a car made outta plastic... you should see how horrible the viper performs compared to other cars on the track. :p

585489042[/snapback]

well i'd say the same thing about the previous generation models, but the new SRT vipers are fairly well tuned. I remember an article where the SRT-10 went head to head with the Z06, Ferrari Maranello, Murcielago and a Dauer (race car, not street legal) and a bunch of other cars in a figure 8 track. The viper placed first in virtually all aspects, even handling and lap time, except for the Dauer which is a Le Mans car (i think). So i wouldnt knock the new vipers just yet or at least if ur gonna knock it, make sure ur comparing it to an Enzo or something....

Just because a civic has a turbo doesn't mean anything. A well tuned car with a turbo on that platform might just add 50 fwhp. Given your starting with 130 thats not bad.

To run 8's your talking a completely tuned tubbed out car with drag slicks on the front. lol.

Vipers weigh like what 3300 pounds? Maybe 3600. Weight is not even a factor in this comparison.

And I'm betting that picture is the Cold Air kit. They have figured out these ricer guys will buy them to look like a front mount.

Right, say the Civic, ripped apart for 2,000 lbs and blown for 200hp, right? That's .1hp/lb. A Viper, at 500hp and say 3,500lbs is .142hp/lb. That Civic would have to be pushing 300hp to come close, and that's assuming the tranny doesn't explode, the engine doesn't blow, and you could get legit traction out of it's FWD system compared to the Viper's RWD setup.

Also, that in no way accounts for cornering.

There's no telling this kid anything though. He said that Vipers have low RPMs.

585477817[/snapback]

couldn't even be bothered to read the rest of the topic. your friends civic has maybe got 100HP while the Viper has got 500, eventhough even when the viper's got low RPM's (it doesnt btw) it will still smoke the civic.

tell your friend to try, what world is he living in? :rofl:

couldn't even be bothered to read the rest of the topic. your friends civic has maybe got 100HP while the Viper has got 500, eventhough even when the viper's got low RPM's (it doesnt btw) it will still smoke the civic.

tell your friend to try, what world is he living in? :rofl:

585494605[/snapback]

um, his civic might have 100hp if it was made in 88, but its clearly a newer one and it looks like it is turbo. maybe you should read the rest of the topic before making a post that makes you look really ignorant.

do i agree the viper will smoke him? yeah, thats probably true, but ive seen many a fast turbo civic and usually when you have a big ol front mount smiling away in the front of your car, that means you got a little more than a cold air intake and some ecu mod.

Just have the two cars race...And watch the Viper suck the Civics headlights out...unless your friend put thousands and thousands of dollars into the Civic, then the Viper is going to suck it up and spit it out.

Ummm...

http://www.speedstash.com/intercooler.html

:rolleyes:

And even it has a real turbo, then its still likely isn't getting 210 hp total. And way less torque.

585496175[/snapback]

3.JPG > fmi_civic.jpg

and apprently you have never been to Turboed.com

oh, and for your viewing pleasure... Turboed vs Viper RT/10

save the video there and rename it so you can play it in wmp...

look, i dont like civics, but i dont like ignorance even more.

to the original poster - can you get us exactly what is done to your friend's car? it looks like a lot more than he is letting on. ive yet to see a "slow" turbo charged civic because usually if one goes through the trouble to turbo something like a civic and picks ugly, yet light weight rims like the rota slipstreams with very wide tires, they are packing something.

I noticed the wider tires and it made me wonder too.

I'm not saying that he has a fake front mount, I'm just saying it could be. I personally think the idea of the air filter is stupid.

The car on that site at least looks done up well. But I'm not sure I see the point on doing that to a civic. I guess maybe just for the fact that you can. I'ts kind of like taking a celeron and overclocking instead of a P4. lol

And one video doesn't mean much. I can't find any dyno charts or time slips on the site.

Is there a reason for that?

Would hate to see someone put that kind of time and money in a car and not break 300-400hp on the dyno.

Looks like he has about every mod you can throw at it and still be "streetable".

Getting ready to watch the video.

An intercooler is an intercooler. They pretty much all look alike to me. Basicly like a radiator.

And even if it has a FMIC, and packing a turbo that don't mean its fast. Turbo doesn't mean fast. Heck the late 80s early 90s Dodge Shadows had a non-intercooled turbo and they weren't exactly fast.

If he seriously said the low RPM thing about the Viper that means he has no idea what he is talking about. He could have taken the car to a shop and had it hopped up but he wouldn't have the knowledge to do it himself. Or probably even tune it.