Friend getting me mad about cars..

Hah! I just watched that video. That was stupid. I was expecting to see a race. I don't even think the viper was trying or the guy couldn't drive. Plus that was an early model RT10. They are the weakest and like 1/2 of the 2005.

What happened at the end? The Viper took off and it looked like the Civic shut down.

I'm betting that turbo is pretty laggy on that car with the 3" pipe.

So far to me it looks like a waste of time and money.

Does he have any dyno charts or timeslips?

Oh and it sounded like neither of them knew what they were doing. Got NAWS? No NAWS. :rolleyes:

An intercooler is an intercooler. They pretty much all look alike to me. Basicly like a radiator.

And even if it has a FMIC, and packing a turbo that don't mean its fast. Turbo doesn't mean fast. Heck the late 80s early 90s Dodge Shadows had a non-intercooled turbo and they weren't exactly fast.

If he seriously said the low RPM thing about the Viper that means he has no idea what he is talking about. He could have taken the car to a shop and had it hopped up but he wouldn't have the knowledge to do it himself. Or probably even tune it.

585496987[/snapback]

I know, all I am trying to say, is no one can say that is the cold air intake, because it looks very different, and, to my knowledge, there is not a cai on the market that is an 18 incher, as is the intercooler on that Honda.

And, who cares about whether he installed it himself or had a shop install it and tune it. If people didn't take cars to shops to install and tune turbos, then I would not have a source of extra income... :p

guys, if you watch the video you will see that the civic begins pulling on the viper on the last run. all the other runs they were almost neck and neck and the viper was falling back a little bit at a time.

as for the low rpms... yes that is true. the bigger the motor, the lower you can rev the motor. the viper redlines at 6100rpms, and i have seen civics that can run all the way up to 8-9000rpms. this is an advantage in a race because you dont have to shift as early. this is why the fact that the new vette redlines at 7100rpms is such a big deal. big motors are difficult to rev higher because there is so much more going on in there and the crank usually cant take it and the valves cant keep up. big motors have an advantage though because of the low end torque, but if a turbo car can get into its power band and stay there, revving high the whole way, they can be quite a formidible beast. horsepower itself means nothing. its where you make it and if you can keep at your peak horsepower for longer.

edit...

actually, the viper redlines at 6000rpms, the viper GTS-R redlines at 6100rpms, with fuel cutoff being at 6200rpms for both models.

Edited by jivemastert

Oh and it sounded like neither of them knew what they were doing. Got NAWS? No NAWS.  :rolleyes:

585497019[/snapback]

that was the dude in the viper. he thought it was just another ricer civic...

It's still not a race from 60 to 100. I thought it was going to be on a drag strip.

And engine speed isn't that big of a deal. It has more to do with gear ratios on having to shift.

That video proves nothing.

guys, if you watch the video you will see that the civic begins pulling on the viper on the last run.  all the other runs they were almost neck and neck and the viper was falling back a little bit at a time.

as for the low rpms... yes that is true.  the bigger the motor, the lower you can rev the motor.  the viper redlines at 6100rpms, and i have seen civics that can run all the way up to 8-9000rpms.  this is an advantage in a race because you dont have to shift as early.  this is why the fact that the new vette redlines at 7100rpms is such a big deal.  big motors are difficult to rev higher because there is so much more going on in there and the crank usually cant take it and the valves cant keep up.  big motors have an advantage though because of the low end torque, but if a turbo car can get into its power band and stay there, revving high the whole way, they can be quite a formidible beast.  horsepower itself means nothing.  its where you make it and if you can keep at your peak horsepower for longer.

edit...

actually, the viper redlines at 6000rpms, the viper GTS-R redlines at 6100rpms, with fuel cutoff being at 6200rpms for both models.

585498720[/snapback]

A Civic, no matter how well tuned, will never pull on a Viper while they are in motion. It's not possible to get more torque out of a Civic engine than what a Viper has.

As for the redline nonsense, that's far from correct. The advantage to having a high redline is that you can produce more peak horsepower. Torque and horsepower are mathematically related, there's no "big engines make more torque" nonsense to it.

(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

Most small displacement engines have to run high RPMs to get peak horsepower numbers even close to what a larger displacement engine could get just off idle. Every car gets maximum horsepower at redline, but if you have low end torque, you're power curve is much smoother than a car that relies on little torque and high rpms. Not to mention, once you get off the drag strip, little torque will kill you in the corners.

bah you can tell ur all american with your v12s and v8s anyway the viper aint the fastest thing there is its got a big lump of v12 under there which well for the size of it the bhp is f*cking perfectic, specialy when u look at the brits gettin 250 bhp just out of 2.5 v6, anyway a civic can beat a viper but it has to be modded like hell but it can be done.

The Viper has a V10 :p

Oh, and it also gets 100 hp/liter, so ... yeah.

585499162[/snapback]

8L v10, so 8x100 = 800hp?

um. no. the newest viper only has about 500hp.

the ignorance in this thread is driving me nuts.

added displacement does not necessarely mean worse fuel economy. Lower revolutions of an engine with a large displacement will not only make the engine last longer, but you will have more power per stroke with fewer strokes.

There was mention of 250 hp 2.5L v6 engines. I really can't think of any that are like that, but I haven't been keeping up with british cars. Still that wouldn't mean better fuel economy, as they would run at a higher rpm, which means more strokes per minute. You increase the rpms, you increase the amount of fuel used. Of course if you increase displacement, you also increase amount of fuel used, but you cut down the number of rpms. Both have good and bad points about them, but neither is a bad way...unless you're talking about durability, in which case a well built low rpm engine is always going to win over a well built high rpm engine

um.  no.  the newest viper only has about 500hp.

585499344[/snapback]

My bad, I was thinking of the 500/500/500 numbers, but that was CU not liters (:pinch:). On the other hand, I'll be glad to point out the Hennesy Vipers, a few of which produced better than 100hp/liter.

um.  no.  the newest viper only has about 500hp.

585499344[/snapback]

What do you expect from nerds that sit behind a computer all day long? They shouldn't have much knowledge of cars. LOL

So many ignorant posts here. Yes, stock to stock, viper will kill a civic. But if tuned right, the civic can easily beat a viper. There are alot of ricer civics out there because of teenagers that don't have much money but want to make their car "cool", so they buy a civic and rice it up. Does this mean that all civics have bad exhausts and big wings? You guys need to stop stereotyping. Would I choose a civic over a SRT/10? Of course not, but don't bash the car without knowing anything. Most of you are just saying, "Oooh viper! 500 horsepower, it kills everything!!". I'm not saying I know everything about cars, but I don't make ignorant comments without learning the info first. Go to a real car enthusiast forum and say your ignorant comments, you'll get laughed at by almost everyone.

People on this thread are assuming only the Civic will be modified. In stock form and modification for modification the Viper will win, period.

Say for example, though, you buy a Viper SRT-10 for around $80,000 and another person buys a Civic for $20,000. You can argue that if the Civic owner put the $60,000 difference into modifications for the Civic the Civic would win. This is true. The Civic should kill the Viper, but it would still be a Civic. The problem is nobody in their right mind would spend $60,000 to modify a Civic. Civics are passenger coupes and sedans, not sports cars.

People on this thread are assuming only the Civic will be modified.  In stock form and modification for modification the Viper will win, period. 

Say for example, though, you buy a Viper SRT-10 for around $80,000 and another person buys a Civic for $20,000.  You can argue that if the Civic owner put the $60,000 difference into modifications for the Civic the Civic would win.  This is true.  The Civic should kill the Viper, but it would still be a Civic.  The problem is nobody in their right mind would spend $60,000 to modify a Civic.  Civics are passenger coupes and sedans, not sports cars.

585502633[/snapback]

you have to remember though that the original poster made it seem like his friend didnt know what he was talking about, but from the pictures it looks like he was playing dumb. no one has a turbo civic and doesnt know what they are talking about. i for one would love to see this kid's two friends race, i think it would be good.

There's no telling this kid anything though. He said that Vipers have low RPMs.

585477817[/snapback]

Go tell your friend to sign up at http://www.anti-rice.com

he's a fricken dumbass.

True, a shivic can beat a viper at the fraction of a price, but if u were to spend the amount you did on modding the civic modding the viper, u would smoke any shivic out there.

And price doesn't = how good a car is