Tiger has gone Gold

It has gone gold, that has been confirmed. Most ADC members that I have talked to said it had something to do with the Pope and the delay.

585731384[/snapback]

That would make some sense, thanks for sharing. I wonder how long they'll keep on delaying it.

i find it kidna amusing that we as a worldwide society can go from travelling by horse-driven carriages to sending out products worldwide to hundreds of millions of customers in just days

simply amazing

That would make some sense, thanks for sharing. I wonder how long they'll keep on delaying it.

585731451[/snapback]

Yeah, it wouldn't be the best thing to release it during an event like this... not the best time to let out a Press Release, it will get little mention (except maybe on some business shows).

It has gone gold, that has been confirmed. Most ADC members that I have talked to said it had something to do with the Pope and the delay.

585731384[/snapback]

Well, I'm an ADC member, and it's still only showing 8A425 in my downloads section. :(

Well, it hasn't been confirmed that Tiger is GM. Until Apple confirms it, it's still considered rumour. Given Apple's history, I'd assume it has gone GM

Considering ADC members don't have a clue about what is going on inside Apple, I can't help but laugh that some think they do.

Well, it hasn't been confirmed that Tiger is GM.? Until Apple confirms it, it's still considered rumour.? Given Apple's history, I'd assume it has gone GM

Considering ADC members don't have a clue about what is going on inside Apple, I can't help but laugh that some think they do.

585732976[/snapback]

It has been confirmed, from Apple, but you seem to know everything, so laugh it up(N)N)

Edited by Fusion

Well, I'm an ADC member, and it's still only showing 8A425 in my downloads section. :(

585732463[/snapback]

Yeah, strange eh? It seems to have only gone to a select few, but most ADC accounts are not getting access to the GM build.

Well, it hasn't been confirmed that Tiger is GM.  Until Apple confirms it, it's still considered rumour.  Given Apple's history, I'd assume it has gone GM

585732976[/snapback]

Good for you!

Think Secret seems to think it will still be released this month, probably mid-month.

Tiger remains ready to pounce in April

April 5, 2005 - April arrived without a Tiger announcement but sources report that the operating system upgrade is still on track for a release later this month.

Several reliable sources have confirmed that Build 8A428, which was seeded internally last week, was declared the Gold Master, as AppleInsider first noted. The build has yet to reach Apple's developer connection Web site, however, and likely won't in order to curtail any early distribution of the release, sources said. Developers last received build 8A425.

While an April 1 announcement did not arrive as Think Secret had speculated, Apple did in fact have a closed satellite feed last Friday, although it's unclear what the subject matter of the feed was. Sources are currently pointing to a mid-month announcement of Tiger, with the operating system shipping by the close of the fourth week at the latest.

eWeek recently echoed Think Secret's March 11 story on Tiger's April release, writing in a March 30 story that "assuming that no major issues appear, [Tiger] is on track for release about mid-April, although it could be pushed back by up to a week if required."

Several reliable sources have confirmed that Build 8A428, which was seeded internally last week, was declared the Gold Master, as AppleInsider first noted. The build has yet to reach Apple's developer connection Web site, however, and likely won't in order to curtail any early distribution of the release, sources said. Developers last received build 8A425.

Well, at least that part seems to confirm what other developers and I have already stated, that Apple hasn't released the GM to developers. Unfortunate, but understandable.

How much will it be?

Also will there be a fancy release in the stores, i.e midnight opening free ipods etc (i'm sick of missing the boat on all the apple store brilliant give aways)

How much will it be?

Also will there be a fancy release in the stores, i.e midnight opening free ipods etc (i'm sick of missing the boat on all the apple store brilliant give aways)

585734581[/snapback]

As for the price, probably the same as always ($129 retail, $199 for a "family pack", and $69 for students).

I'm sure that Apple will announce any promotions when they announce a release date.

It has been confirmed, from Apple, but you seem to know everything, so laugh it up. (N)

585733118[/snapback]

Apple has NOT confirmed anything. It would be on the front page of every Mac site, as well as Apple.com if they had. It's nothing but rumors at this point.

Good for you!

huh?

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

In other operating system news, Apple continues to develop Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Server after declaring build 8A428 of Tiger Client "gold master" last Thursday.

According to Web reports, the most recent build of Tiger Server is build 8A420. With the seeding of this build, Apple reportedly disabled the "Portable Home Directories" feature and instead asked developers to focus their testing efforts on Mail, Active Directory, and Access Control lists.

Developers say Apple has also asked that all previously filed bugs be checked against the latest seed, suggestion that the company hopes to declare a build of Tiger Server gold master in the near future.

Meanwhile, sources tell AppleInsider that Apple is also feverishly working on Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger, the first maintenance update to the yet unreleased Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

One of the latest builds is reportedly labeled Mac OS X 10.4 build 8A432, suggesting Apple picked up development of the 8A4xx milestone immediately after declaring build 8A420 of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger gold master.

Already? :D

Source - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=984

Radish?

So, they declare Tiger gold, only to turn right around and begin a patch for said gold?

So, they declare Tiger gold, only to turn right around and begin a patch for said gold?

585737647[/snapback]

It's a common practice... fix the major bugs while you can and then release a patch for the minor snags that they couldn't get before GM had to have been declared. From the notes, there were only 2 outstanding issues, and they may have been fixed by 8A428.

Already:D:D

Source - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=984

Radish?

585737635[/snapback]

That wouldn't be so unusual. It happens all the time. There comes a time where you have to draw the line. could spend from now to eternity debugging the OS, or you could release it with all but the most minor bugs removed, and start working on the next patch. 8A425 has been very stable for me, an the bug notes only list two very minor problems. I can only assume that those were fixed with 8A428 (they wouldn't affect either of my machines, in any case). Remember that often the 10.x.1 releases are just performance tweaks, not major bug fixes.

edit: dang, bling beat me to it. I knew I shouldn't have gone for a snack in the middle of typing that.

oh ok I see, guess ill be using my sisters student id lol... 129 isn't a bad price when you consider that its 100x better than xp but what 70 bucks cheaper or 120 if you compare it to microsoft $250 price tag at the release of XP.

well i hope they have a promotion thing at the apple stores, since most of the people in my area are probably not on neowin or places to find out bout a promo, i could probably get down there and get some neat stuff, lol and 70 bucks for a student is sweet!