Google plans to double Gmail capacity

Is this an April Fool's joke? How can they do this? Doubled immediately for the many users? Daily increases? No one needs so much space anyway, unless you're using it as another hard drive or something.

anyone have an idea on the gmail servers how big they must be? seriously with 2 gigs free space how are they giving all this away for free anyhow?

edit: HOLY ****!!!,

"You are currently using 21 MB (2%) of your 1086 MB."

i just checked it 15 min ago it was 1000mb!!!

ok, i noticed something when i justed checked my gmail account.  Whenever i refresh the page the storage amount increases.  Is it just me or is gmail upgrading storage 1MB at a time?

:wacko: :pinch:

585707323[/snapback]

OMFG! Dude .. I just went from 1076 to 1085 from when I posted to the thread to when I replied to your post.

Hmm right now my Gmail says I have 1031 MB... didn't it used to say 1000 MB? :huh:

585706926[/snapback]

Whoops.

Edited by yisman

yup..i guess that gmail really is upgrading all accoutns by 1MB ata time. hahaha :laugh:

i suppose everyones accounts are steadily increasing...

post-44051-1112338073.jpg

anyone have an idea on the gmail servers how big they must be? seriously with 2 gigs free space how are they giving all this away for free anyhow?

585707357[/snapback]

Huge clusters? It is pretty amazing how they are able to just give out 1GB, especially Yahoo! with millions of accounts.

Now I'm from 1076 to 1085 and now to 1087!! Google is getting me excited now!

Huge clusters? It is pretty amazing how they are able to just give out 1GB, especially Yahoo! with millions of accounts.

Now I'm from 1076 to 1085 and now to 1087!! Google is getting me excited now!

585707365[/snapback]

ya seriously i cant even imagine on how many they have right now not to mention the new increases that are happening this very moment

Can anyone stop to quote his space?

and anyone can test to pass beyond 1GB to see if it's true or not?

Can anyone stop to quote his space?

and anyone can test to pass beyond 1GB to see if it's true or not?

585707379[/snapback]

I can test, by uploading my music, but that would take days and they might suspend my account for thinking that I'm uploading warez or something.

I could make a new account and test that.

I can test, by uploading my music, but that would take days and they might suspend my account for thinking that I'm uploading warez or something.

I could make a new account and test that.

585707391[/snapback]

upload like 2 linux distro iso images or somethin their legal

as i said.. gmail is upgrading by giving everyone 1MB extra every so often. i'm up to 1092 MB..

@ MarkMS: if only they'd increase the attachment limit size too.

as i said.. gmail is upgrading by giving everyone 1MB extra every so often.  i'm up to 1092 MB..

585707405[/snapback]

I know! I just want to go to sleep and wake up tomorrow and see how much space they will be able to give their users.

as i said.. gmail is upgrading by giving everyone 1MB extra every so often.  i'm up to 1092 MB..

585707405[/snapback]

Actually, I believe you may be correct. Ten minutes ago I had 1082MB and now I have 1093. Oh well, not like I even need 100mb :p

Everyone go to the GMail home page! Quick!

A Google approach to math.   

On the eve of Gmail's one-year birthday, our engineers were toiling away furiously. Notes scribbled all over the walls. Complex calculations on napkins and empty pizza boxes. Millions of M&Ms.

The result?... starting today, we're beginning the roll-out of our new and top secret Infinity+1 storage plan. The key features are:

Write, don't worry.

You want to stop caring about storage. We want to keep giving you more. Today, and beyond.

The gift that keeps on giving.

1096.644111 megabytes of storage (and counting) for every user.

No complicated equations. No tough algorithms.

Just this one graph:

LOL

nice joke :)

if they were really planning to give us 2GB, they would increase it directly to 2GB (first to a few users, then extend it gradually to all, like they do with every new feature).

This is just a joke... not their style... to increase with a few MB to ALL of us in the same time.

Anyway, i'm glad they added rich text editing :) now waiting HTML support ;)