Play CD on your computer and go to jail.

looks like i have to move to that country seaisland or something..i heard something about that somewhere....its only like a boat or something id ont know....:cheeky:

According to British law passed in 1845, attempting to commit suicide was a capital offense. Offenders could be hanged for trying.

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

In Athens, Greece, a driver's license can be taken away by law if the driver is deemed either unbathed or poorly dressed.

In Baltimore USA it is illegal to wash or scrub a sink regardless of how dirty it is.

In Sweden, while prostitution is legal, it is illegal for anyone to use the services of a prostitute.

It is against the law to stare at the mayor of Paris.

It is illegal to frown at cows in Bladworth, Saskatchewan.

Mailing an entire building has been illegal in the U.S. since 1916.

In California USA, you are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

In Tennesee USA, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stupid laws are passed all the time. It doesn't mean they're enforced. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

-TR

To the contrary I *would* worry about it. The RIAA + affiliates have probably managed to bribe about 2/3 of congress by now. Sorry, that should have read "contributed to political campaigns of". ;) How else do you think DMCA was ever passed? Until the political financing system in the US is sorted out then laws like the one suggested by the thread starter are always a risk.

Originally posted by Minotaur

To the contrary I *would* worry about it. The RIAA + affiliates have probably managed to bribe about 2/3 of congress by now. Sorry, that should have read "contributed to political campaigns of". ;) How else do you think DMCA was ever passed? Until the political financing system in the US is sorted out then laws like the one suggested by the thread starter are always a risk.

Why worry . . .

Did you know that non-payment of Child Support is a Felony in most States in the US? I would bet that the number of inmates in prison for it is ZERO. Our congress is great at passing laws without allotting the funding to enforce them.

This is a paper tiger.

-TR

Originally posted by XPBeta

c) Create mix-CDs or DJ-type of music out of the CD you've purchased is also illegal.

This would really help all the DJs who work down local pubs/bars/clubs and who knock out all the cheezy chart rubbish or those who work in many rock clubs as they use CD mixers round here. They may need to develop skill and spend a fortune on vinyl if these were made law.

Whether this will include clubs with licences to play music or pubs isn't clear but I showed this post to my best friend (who does CD mixing at the local rock/metal club as his main job) and he was worried as he also uses a PC to do mixing at a pub night he works at, this could cause all sorts of problems for him, and in his opinion gives people who mix vinyl (mostly dance clubs round here) an advantage.

That's it. I'm moving to Canada and setting up a BIG warez server in Cuba ;)

I've had it up to HERE with the CBDTPA. It's all corporate bull****. I'm sick of it...

I can imagine it now :p -

A little scenario-

John Smith is sitting at his computer when suddenly, the door explodes inwards! A lone man in a black suit steps over the rubble towards John.

In a deep throaty voice, the man says, "Have you been listening to CDs in your computer?" He leans down towards John and his eyes bug out.

John looks around uneasily, and then answers, "No."

"Alright then." The man stands up, straightens his tie and steps back out the door.

-The next house-

Bob Johnson is sitting at his computer when suddenly, the door explodes inwards! A lone man in a black suit steps over the rubble towards Bob.

The man says, "Have you been listening to Cds in your computer?" He leans towards Bob and his eyes bug out.

A look of incomprehension crosses Bob's face, "Well, ye-"

Bob is cut short by more explosions. Members of the SWAT team bust through every wall of Bob's house in full body armor. Ropes uncoil down from the ceiling, quickly followed by hanging SWAT members. About 100 lasers are painting Bob's body. A small wetness begins to trickle down his pants.

"You're under arrest for playing Cds on your personal computer. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say or do can and will be used against you in the courst of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one we will supply you with one." With that, Bob is carried away, bound and gagged.

The lone figure is seen walking to the next house....

This is just a little OT, but just recently here in Canada, a student at a local highschool wrote a joke email to his friend about ways to kill a president, well i guess the email went through the US gov'ts computer and they flew up here landed in a helicopter outside the school and arrested the boy. The US is so paranoid....

Greenmuncher

PS. more people die everyday from hunger or malnutrition in africa....than the WTC

Originally posted by Elektro

Don't know how else to put this, but the US is becoming a more ****ty place to live in, day after day.

I have to agree with you there.

I say f*ck Corporate America!

Sometimes I honestly wish someone would have the nerve to overthrow the government; it is in the Constitution you know, unless our government has already voided that part of it. I am sick of the whole damn thing pratically being controlled by corporate a**holes that don't give a rat's a** about the consumer. And our government is becoming more totalitarian (sp?) every day. If this keeps up, we Americans can kiss our civil rights goodbye.

I hereby propose a boycott of all movies and music in the United States. Tell the RIAA and MPAA to cram the CBDTPA and SSSCA up their asses, or we will refuse to pay them a cent until they do. That'll change their minds REAL quick. Show them that the consumers are not just a bunch of mindless sheep.

I wouldn't miss any of the crap music and movies they been putting out recently anyway.

Maybe it will even slap some sense into congress as well.

I think the whole problem is the money hungry morons that are selling this crap they call "music" on cd. If they had half of a brain,they would realize that the artists need to make a cd with more than 1 or 2 songs on it that don't suck!!! That would then make people who listen to the music WANT to buy cds. That, and they need to stop gouging also!! People aren't stupid! They know a good value when they see one. Example: music from the 50's thru the 80's still sell like crazy!!

Before long, we will have to pay for the air we breathe. We will not be able to protest in any form cuz if we do, we will be put in jail.

Folks, our basic freedoms are going down the drain, and we cannot do a damn thing about it. The only way you can do something is if you have the money, otherwise, the government will look upon you and laugh. Folks, it sorry and sickening, but it's coming.

Originally posted by codyg11

Before long, we will have to pay for the air we breathe. We will not be able to protest in any form cuz if we do, we will be put in jail.

Folks, our basic freedoms are going down the drain, and we cannot do a damn thing about it. The only way you can do something is if you have the money, otherwise, the government will look upon you and laugh. Folks, it sorry and sickening, but it's coming.

I find this attitude to be ludicrous. What basic freedoms have you lost?

So the recording industry is up at arms because . . . and rightly so . . . of all the copyright violations that exist in society today. I hear people say things like . . . "If they'd put more than one or two good songs on a CD I'd buy it." Or . . . "If the price weren't so high I'd buy it." These are rationalizations that are simply espoused to make someone feel justified for their theft of the intellectual property. Whether you like it or not the artists and authors are entitled to be compensated for their product. As a consumer you do have ultimate control over the price. If the price is too high then don't buy the title. If the album is junk then don't buy it.

How this realtes to our basic freedoms is beyond my ability to fathom. How the recording and software industry's silly proposals relate to equal consideration under the law, the right to pursue happiness, free speech and the right to not be taxed without being represented is lost on me.

I find myself wondering how many people here have actually read the constitution and moreover . . . understand what it said. Because this issue has as much to do with our basic freedoms as my momma's girdle.

At 42, I have yet to see any changes in my government that have truely affected my freedoms. I still have the right to speak freely and assemble publicly. I still have the right to vote for my representitives. I am still protected from unreasonable or warrantless searches and entitled to a presumption of innocence in a courtroom. I still have the right to worship as I choose. I still have the right to travel my country without permission from the government . . . I can stay or go outside her borders as I choose. I still have the right to life, liberty and to PURSUE happiness.

If software and music piracy weren't so prolific, they wouldn't be at wits end trying to grasp at the thinnests of straws to get a whole generation of "soft criminals" to pay for what they get.

So someone . . . please educate me . . . what basic rights have you ever been deprived of?

Personally I think somewhere along the line the division between rights and entitlements has become blurred.

The Bill of Non-Rights

We, the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid any more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt-free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt-ridden, delusional, and other ultra-liberal bedwetters. We hold these truths to be self-evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim that they require a Bill of Non-Rights.

ARTICLE I: You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone - not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

ARTICLE III: You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful, do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

ARTICLE IV: You do not have the right to free food and housing. Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes.

ARTICLE V: You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in public health care.

ARTICLE VI: You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you hanged.

ARTICLE VII: You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII: You don't have the right to demand that our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience. We hate oppressive governments and won't lift a finger to stop you from going to fight if you'd like. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

ARTICLE IX: You don't have the right to a job. All of us sure want all of you to have one, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

ARTICLE X: You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have the right to pursue happiness - which by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered by an overabundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

For those interested in what it DOES say:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/chart..._of_rights.html

JMHO

-TR

I somewhat agree with TimeRider especaily in

"...I find myself wondering how many people here have actually read the constitution and moreover . . . understand what it said. Because this issue has as much to do with our basic freedoms as my momma's girdle.

At 42, I have yet to see any changes in my government that have truely affected my freedoms. I still have the right to speak freely and assemble publicly. I still have the right to vote for my representitives. I am still protected from unreasonable or warrantless searches and entitled to a presumption of innocence in a courtroom. I still have the right to worship as I choose. I still have the right to travel my country without permission from the government . . . I can stay or go outside her borders as I choose. I still have the right to life, liberty and to PURSUE happiness.

If software and music piracy weren't so prolific, they wouldn't be at wits end trying to grasp at the thinnests of straws to get a whole generation of "soft criminals" to pay for what they get..."

But only time will tell how much of this 'anti freedom' hype will come true ;)

What I am saying that the people with the money have the power, not the common people. Basically, if you don't have the moola to bribe the government with, you are wasting your time.

Originally posted by codyg11

What I am saying that the people with the money have the power, not the common people. Basically, if you don't have the moola to bribe the government with, you are wasting your time.

Although I have no doubt that corruption in our government exists, I doubt that it is as prolific as most people believe. Anyone who has taken any amount of Sociology understands that in order to affect change in a "democratic" government you require one of two things:

1. A significant number of people.

2. A number of significant people.

It is easier for people with money to weild power than it is for those who don't. But that doesn't mean that average people are powerless either. If you feel powerless it's because you choose to remain so. Vietnam, Watergate, George Bush Sr. are just a few examples of how the average man can seize power by making a commitment to a common cause.

Everybody wants to sit around and b*tch about the rich. Well the poor and the middle class have every bit as much power as the rich, if not more, if only they'd get of their John Brown hind parts and exercise it in a unified manner.

But it's easier to sit around gripe than it is to become involved and participate in the political process.

If you feel you lack power, then do something about it. Your assertion that our government is on the take and big business is responsible for your woes . . . is more than likely just another rationalization to reinforce and justify your lack of participation in the processes that effect change. But only you would know the honest answer to that, not me.

Ask yourself . . . when was the last time you took a stand on an issue you truely believed in . . . and then did something about it?

If you're anything like me . . . probably a long time ago or never. And if that's the case then don't blame big business for these issues, blame yourself for letting them pick your pocket with your full knowledge and consent. They may be greedy but they certainly aren't guilty of apathy . . . unlike most US citizens.

JMHO

-TR

What The F***?

This is total garbage! Nearly all of these acts are unstoppable, so just continue copying audio CD's and sharing MP3's! The reason why is that if the RIAA tries to mess around with one Internet user, then they have to mess around with everyone across the Globe! I don't encourage illegal acts, but this time the RIAA has gone too f***ing far! No one gives a damn about their POS schemes! So whatever you do, never give up the file sharing rights! If they want to make a real case out of it, they should put the blame on whoever created the Internet! :D (1962)