Play CD on your computer and go to jail.

Originally posted by I8PP

Al Gore?:D

Actually, Rand Communications established the first-usable network in 1962! In 1990, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web and the W3C facilitated its use so anyone can create a web site nowadays, as well as hosting MP3's and other types of information. Not to mention the W, which made software piracy more legal! It's still illegal, but it can't be stopped unless all of the technology in today's world is taken away from us!

Originally posted by Webgraph

Actually, Rand Communications established the first-usable network in 1962! In 1990, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web and the W3C facilitated its use so anyone can create a web site nowadays, as well as hosting MP3's and other types of information. Not to mention the W, which made software piracy more legal! It's still illegal, but it can't be stopped unless all of the technology in today's world is taken away from us!

Actually you're right . . . it can't. Which brings me back full circle to my original posts in which I referred to this legislation as a "paper tiger." Another in an endless line of silly laws enacted to placate the special interest group that asked for it. Completely lacking in enforcement potential.

So why get in a twist about it?

-TR

Originally posted by TimeRider

Actually you're right . . . it can't. Which brings me back full circle to my original posts in which I referred to this legislation as a "paper tiger." Another in an endless line of silly laws enacted to placate the special interest group that asked for it. Completely lacking in enforcement potential.

So why get in a twist about it?

-TR

Something tells me that the RIAA is now trying to control the government! :D

This is nothing more then a huge company trying to get more money.

Although it is not our right to have such luxuries, it is still a harmful direction for the industry

The RIAA itself does not know a thing about technology. The ridiculous call for a processor to identify copyrighted material is a prime example of the intelligence of such a group. When this was proposed at a meeting, only an Intel reprehensive stood up against it.. he was charged with piracy.. They don?t even listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Don?t forget that this law also called for every product sold to have copy-protection issues implemented as well as the ban of the sale of products/media that did not institute this measure.

If such laws were put into motion, various products will be removed from the shelves and companies would go bankrupt..

Companies would be forced to implement stupid copy-protection schemes (like DVD players have yet ten times worse) driving any small company out of business. Open source software was also deemed illegal under the CBDTPA due to the ability for people to just recompile the software/media player and remove the protections.

In the end, consumers would be faced with VCR?s that CANT record, devices that are not backwards compatible with old media and vice versa, the blossoming internet movie sites would be gone and TiVOs would force you to pay for anything you record.. or have this feature totally removed.

The sad part is, if you wish to leave the US to escape such measures think again. Once the CBDTPA is put into motion other countries would be forced to follow due to the inter-mix of products. You don?t expect a device to be made in ?copy protection form? for the US and a ?unfixed? device made for other countries do you? The entire industry would be forced to follow the US?s example.

I'll just let my firewall block the RIAA's access to my PC! They have no right to violate my privacy, so they wouldn't know if I was copying illegal content on my PC! So the RIAA has pointlessly crippled themselves with that! ;)