After a year of unemployment and a year of prison

I have no problem with using the "unofficial" route to evaluate a game, app or DVD before making a purchase and in this regard I support the release groups in what they do. .

you ever hear of demo's? You know, those legit copies you can freely download to test out an app or game? Guess not

you ever hear of demo's? You know, those legit copies you can freely download to test out an app or game?  Guess not

585972375[/snapback]

What are these "demo's" you speak of? :huh::p

you ever hear of demo's? You know, those legit copies you can freely download to test out an app or game?  Guess not

585972375[/snapback]

Indeed, I have heard of these demonstration versions. Are you aware however, that not every piece of software released has a demo available at all, let alone at the time a purchase is considered. The main problem with demos for me, is that many are too restricted to let you really evaluate the product. Not being able to save in an app or just seeing the first feature packed level of a game is like buying a DVD box-set after just seeing the trailer for the first movie.

I agree that if there is a demo of an app or game that's only restriction is a reasonable time-limit then that certainly allows an adequate evaluation of the product before purchase - but I have found that to be the exception rather than the rule. You should try hunting down such representative demos for a given set of similar apps or games (looks like an app that teaches basic grammar and punctuation would be useful) to see how limited many are.

Edited by _Pablo

What are these "demo's" you speak of?  :huh::p

585972400[/snapback]

Well in the case of game demo's, they are the ones they release about 2 MONTHS after the actual game has come out (you know, when all the real hype and interest in it has already died down) and with apps they are the versions that they release that have all the features you actually want, disabled!

Demo's are good but.. sometimes the developers just don't think when they are making them. The game demo thing is especially frustrating and I think if they sorted that out, piracy would be heavily reduced!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have almost 100% decided just to keep plugging along doing IT consulting/contract work and try to make a go of it on my own. I've been booked solid, working 8-10+ hours a day for the last two, going on three weeks now. I'm still looking at job openings, and I'll probably interview for an IT position with one of the local school systems soon, but I'm not going to stress over it like I have in the recent past. If I can get a few good clients, enough to keep me booked most of the time, I'll be happy. I've got to try to break away over the next few days long enough to fill out all the forms to get my business license and tax numbers and such. I just thought that since so many of you had kept up with my ongoing employment dilemma that I'd give you an update. And again, thank you all for the support and the kindness that you've shown to me. It has really meant a lot to me, and I really appreciate it.

Nice! At least you have cash flow! Good Luck!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have almost 100% decided just to keep plugging along doing IT consulting/contract work and try to make a go of it on my own. I've been booked solid, working 8-10+ hours a day for the last two, going on three weeks now. I'm still looking at job openings, and I'll probably interview for an IT position with one of the local school systems soon, but I'm not going to stress over it like I have in the recent past. If I can get a few good clients, enough to keep me booked most of the time, I'll be happy. I've got to try to break away over the next few days long enough to fill out all the forms to get my business license and tax numbers and such. I just thought that since so many of you had kept up with my ongoing employment dilemma that I'd give you an update. And again, thank you all for the support and the kindness that you've shown to me. It has really meant a lot to me, and I really appreciate it.

585998079[/snapback]

Goodluck bro why did you go to prison?

586003007[/snapback]

Or view Page 1 of this thread. He was involved with a pirate ring for games. Nothing big :whistle:

Let me tell you guys, him saying he's been busy has been an understatement :). He goes to one customer site, and has calls the whole time from another customer to come up there. He's had to come with me on a few calls, and those have lead to seperate calls on his own, where I've had to go help him :).

It's nice when you have several places pulling you in different directions, but it's also a pain, especially when the 2 main places are around 35-40 miles apart, and you have to go to both several times in a day :).

Yeah, my future is kinda lookin like it will turn out like your past.

586003327[/snapback]

I'm sorry to hear that. If you need to talk or if I can offer you any advice just let me know.

I finally have a job interview. Monday morning at 10am I have an interview for a SysAdmin position. Wish me luck!

585812902[/snapback]

Hey man! Lancaster, SC here! You still in Conover?

Good luck with EVERYTHING man. You're a hero!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey man!  Lancaster, SC here!  You still in Conover?

Good luck with EVERYTHING man.  You're a hero!

586023315[/snapback]

Eek, sorry I never replied. I haven't checked this thread in ages. Yes, I'm still in Conover. Lancaster isn't that far away either. I've been through there a few times.

• 6 months later...

ShanePitman, i think you've been away from the scene for way too long and have forgotten what it was.

Here are some common myths regarding the scene.

The Scene Does Not Benefit Warez Sellers And Coporate Pirates

The scene's purpose was and always should be the reverse engineering of copyprotections. In the old days, very few games actully use copy protection. Any joe blow could make hundreds of copies of games they bought and sell these copies for profit. Now , almost all software/games has copyprotections, range from simple serial/keyfile (nowdays very few company use this simple method alone), to keyfile/serial tied to specific computer, offline activation, online activation, hardware dongle, ect. And very few people can figure out how to bypass these protections, and pretty muchall of them are in the scene. A warez seller looking to make quick bucks does not have the skill to crack a game, what can he do? he downloads a crack made by a scene group, only this way can he sell his warez. Same goes for coporate pirates, they don't have the skill to crack copyprotections, so they uses crack made by scene groups. The scene's role has elevated from a mere participant, to a vital backbone of the global piracy scene. While most sceners are against people making profit from their releases, they have not done much to prevent it. To say that scene is a small part of the global piracy scene is a blatant lie.

Sceners Are Robin Hoods

RobinHood only steals from the rich. Scene groups will pirate every game that can be pirated, be it huge multi-billion dollar coporations, or tiny software development firms. While lots of people cheer scene groups for pirate the work of coporations, small firms can only suffer in silence.

Razor1911 And Other Scene Groups Are People Who Copies A Few Apps

Scene groups are organized groups whose sole purpose is pirate as much as they can. Razo1911 has released thousands of cracked games, some before their offical release date (which they obtained by stealing physical copies from duplication plants). Compare Razor1911 to some guys causully make a few copies is like compare a drug factory to teenagers who smoked some weed. ShanePitman was Razor1911's leader, so it's not surprising that the judge gave him tougher sentence.

P2P Users Respect Scene Groups

LOL, If they do they wouldn't be trading scene releases on p2p.

ShanePitman, i think you've been away from the scene for way too long and have forgotten what it was.

Here are some common myths regarding the scene.

The Scene Does Not Benefit Warez Sellers And Coporate Pirates

The scene's purpose was and always should be the reverse engineering of copyprotections. In the old days, very few games actully use copy protection. Any joe blow could make hundreds of copies of games they bought and sell these copies for profit. Now , almost all software/games has copyprotections, range from simple serial/keyfile (nowdays very few company use this simple method alone), to keyfile/serial tied to specific computer, offline activation, online activation, hardware dongle, ect. And very few people can figure out how to bypass these protections, and pretty muchall of them are in the scene. A warez seller looking to make quick bucks does not have the skill to crack a game, what can he do? he downloads a crack made by a scene group, only this way can he sell his warez. Same goes for coporate pirates, they don't have the skill to crack copyprotections, so they uses crack made by scene groups. The scene's role has elevated from a mere participant, to a vital backbone of the global piracy scene. While most sceners are against people making profit from their releases, they have not done much to prevent it. To say that scene is a small part of the global piracy scene is a blatant lie.

Sceners Are Robin Hoods

RobinHood only steals from the rich. Scene groups will pirate every game that can be pirated, be it huge multi-billion dollar coporations, or tiny software development firms. While lots of people cheer scene groups for pirate the work of coporations, small firms can only suffer in silence.

Razor1911 And Other Scene Groups Are People Who Copies A Few Apps

Scene groups are organized groups whose sole purpose is pirate as much as they can. Razo1911 has released thousands of cracked games, some before their offical release date (which they obtained by stealing physical copies from duplication plants). Compare Razor1911 to some guys causully make a few copies is like compare a drug factory to teenagers who smoked some weed. ShanePitman was Razor1911's leader, so it's not surprising that the judge gave him tougher sentence.

P2P Users Respect Scene Groups

LOL, If they do they wouldn't be trading scene releases on p2p.

1. I am sure Shane knows exactly what he is on about considering his past and knowledge

2. You are explaining something to him yet you are a new user meaning at present no respect on Neowin YET

3. If you knew what you where on about and knew anything about this forum, you would see that this is a very old thread you have resurected, thus this will probably be closed anyway.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Hope i didnt offend you, but it seems like you are trying to talk down to Shane unless i have completely missed your point.