773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

My top three distros (in sequential order) are: Suse Linux Professional 9.3; Linspire Five-O (great for beginners!) and Fedora Core 4.

I'm going to choose one of the linux distro's soon. I saw that Ubutu is very popular. If Ubutu is so good, tell me why I should choose it.

586312962[/snapback]

Why not? Seems like as good of a starting place as any... :unsure:

What are you looking at getting from Linux? Just trying/learning it?

No Mandrake?

586313016[/snapback]

Correct. There is no "Mandrake" any more. They are "Mandriva"now. ;)

Why not?  Seems like as good of a starting place as any... :unsure:

What are you looking at getting from Linux?  Just trying/learning it?

586313011[/snapback]

I want to learn me and use it, use it as I use windows now.

That's why I want to choose a distro like I can both learning me and use it.

What's the best Debian based distro?

586331991[/snapback]

I don't think that there is one "best" distro for anything. It depends on what your needs and preferences are.

All distros are Linux, and can do anything that "Linux" can do. They just have different start points (like KDE or Gnome based, for example).

I don't think that there is one "best" distro for anything.  It depends on what your needs and preferences are.

All distros are Linux, and can do anything that "Linux" can do.  They just have different start points (like KDE or Gnome based, for example).

586332022[/snapback]

Something with KDE, easy to use, i need apt-get.

Something with KDE, easy to use, i need apt-get.

586332082[/snapback]

Debian, Kanotix, and Kubnutu sound like they'll fit.

Kanotix and Debian can both use the same package repositories (thus Kanotix has a large software library at it's disposal).

Kubuntu, on the other hand, requires it's own package repositories.

I see you are downloading SUSE in another thread. That is rpm-based, not Debian. What comes to mind for Debian+KDE is Knoppix (yes, it can be installed to a hard drive), Kubuntu, and Linspire.

I used to be a huge, huge Mandrake (now Mandriva) fan. This after testing a bunch of different distros. Only one I liked better out of the gate was Corel Linux. But over time, I just sort of gave up on Linux cause it was too much of a hassle for me to maintain / use on a daily basis than Windows is. Just a simple fact of life. Windows is where I can get stuff done, no matter how fun Linux is to mess with. It's what I know, it's what folks I know, know and I guess that's the bottom line.

I applaud the Linux effort, but I guess it's just not for me.

Wow... Corel... Now there is a throwback! Their last release was in 2000 (back in the 2.2 kernel days). :blink:

However, I find Linux is much easier to use than Windows on a daily basis (it was only the learning and initial setup that was work and took any effort).

Wow... Corel...? Now there is a throwback!?  Their last release was in 2000 (back in the 2.2 kernel days):blink:k:
I'm an old coot:):)

I liked that it had no trouble with existing drives in existing file formats, supported the identification of drives with letters to help Win n00bs, had a working refresh rate setting thing right in the GUI and that Samba worked 100% out of the box with a single check box click. All you had to do was tell Corel Linux to enable networking with Win computers and it did it. You want to share a resource, just select it and it would do it. Had a good file manager too.

I still remember that release very fondly indeed.

Right i have a normal PC which runs XP and i have a latop which runs XP, but i want to get rid XP on the Laptop and turn it into a fully fledged linux machine, all i want to do on it is just general browsing and talking to mates on it, what do recommend to install in it!

Right i have a normal PC which runs XP and i have a latop which runs XP, but i want to get rid XP on the Laptop and turn it into a fully fledged linux machine, all i want to do on it is just general browsing and talking to mates on it, what do recommend to install in it!

586339965[/snapback]

Ubuntu seems to be pretty popular and easy to jump into. It is a one-CD download, too.

Ubuntu seems to be pretty popular and easy to jump into.  It is a one-CD download, too.

586339976[/snapback]

Thanks for the quick reply....is Ubuntu easy to setup, im completly new to linux!

Ubuntu should be set up ready to run right off the initial install. If there are specific issues (sound or something), we will have to look at the specifics at that point.

But, for the most part, the general experience is that it just works.

ok thanks for that. i'll get on with downloading it! another question what is KDE is it another Linux Distro or an addon?