773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

Ubuntu seems to be pretty popular and easy to jump into.  It is a one-CD download, too.

586339976[/snapback]

That's some of the reasons I'm using Ubuntu at this moment.

ok thanks for that. i'll get on with downloading it! another question what is KDE is it another Linux Distro or an addon?

586340408[/snapback]

What is KDE? That is a Desktop Environment. It can run on any Linux/BSD distro.

Here is a little guide on how Linux is put together that I wrote up several months ago...

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=259962

Greetings,

I am practically new to the whole Linux thing and was wondering what OS to go for? I liked the look of SuSE 9.3, Debian and Yoper. But I don't know what one to choose. I know that this is wrong but some of them like Debian and Yoper look alike. Or is that just me. Anyways, any help or assistance to which one would be nice. If there's one that can handle Cedega/Half-Life 2, it would be interesting. DivX and video playback would be good as well. Another point, does certain Linux Distros let Laptops run for longer on batteries, or is that just psuedo-science?

Any assistance, help and advice different to the other 3 Distributions above would also be gratefully accepted. PM me if you think there's something better or more useful.

Cheers,

Iamit2900

If you are trying to pick a distro because of how it looks, you need to re-think a bit. Any distro can look like another, just by which Window Manager or Desktop Environment you use on it. Add your preferred theme, and they all look alike.

As for battery usage, I have heard the story all three ways: Linux is better/same/worse on batteries. I think it boils down to whether the hardware is fully supported in Linux. If so, then Linux can very efficiently throttle the CPU and extend battery life (the kernel frequency holds something on this, from what I have been able to gather, but don't know if it is significant). If your install runs the CPU at full speed, even when idle, then your battery life will stink.

If you are trying to pick a distro because of how it looks, you need to re-think a bit.  Any distro can look like another, just by which Window Manager or Desktop Environment you use on it.  Add your preferred theme, and they all look alike.

As for battery usage, I have heard the story all three ways: Linux is better/same/worse on batteries.  I think it boils down to whether the hardware is fully supported in Linux.  If so, then Linux can very efficiently throttle the CPU and extend battery life (the kernel frequency holds something on this, from what I have been able to gather, but don't know if it is significant).  If your install runs the CPU at full speed, even when idle, then your battery life will stink.

586410722[/snapback]

I was just remarking from the screenshots, I don't normally pick something simply because it looks good or bad. But with Linux I don't understand it entirely, in terms of technical information. How do you decide what is the best Linux distribution for you? For example, why do you use the Linux flavour that you use and why?

• 3 weeks later...

I am just wondering, what is the best linux for me.

I will use it for programming, the internet, emails, and misc. Linux stuff.

I don't want anything too high maintenance either.

I want it to be efficient and fast, and not take 4 years to boot up.

I would like a slim/simple looking GUI, but I guess I can change this...

I would also like to setup a Dualboot with Windows XP, how is this done?

I am a linux n00b, but not stupid at using PC's - as I used to use PC's even when I was very young 6 or so, and then it was all DOS commands.

Thankyou...

(Please can you tell me why you recommend particular distros?)

I am just wondering, what is the best linux for me.

I will use it for programming, the internet, emails, and misc. Linux stuff.

I don't want anything too high maintenance either.

I want it to be efficient and fast, and not take 4 years to boot up.

I would like a slim/simple looking GUI, but I guess I can change this...

I would also like to setup a Dualboot with Windows XP, how is this done?

586496564[/snapback]

Sounds like general-usage computing to me...

* post moved into pinned "which distro" poll thread *

As far as dual-booting, most distros will set that up for you.

Ok, I reserved some HDD space for a Linux install, but now I don't know which distro to install. I would like something that is user friendly and it can easy install packages- as little compiling as possile. I have a few choices such as Mandriva Linux, Fedora Core 4, or Ubuntu. I'm open for other suggestions, as long as it's not SuSE.

Thanks.

Desktop/LX

( http://www.lycoris.com/ ) Failed these criterias:

# Only a demo version is free

Desktop/LX is an operating system designed with your ease of use in mind. Desktop/LX loads ready for Internet access, office productivity, multimedia, entertainment, and more.

Mandriva

Mandriva Linux, formerly known as Mandrake Linux, is a friendly Linux Operating System which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the home/office. It is freely available in many languages throughout the world.

Visit Mandriva at: http://www.mandrivalinux.org/

Failed these criterias:

# Does not have one-click installable applications

Mandriva, SuSE and Fedora all are simple to use, as well as outstanding package managers. Your "one-click" criteria for installing apps doesn't even hold true for Windows.......

YAST, YUM, URPMI, RPMDrake, Up2Date, Apt (using Synaptic), or any other of these geart package managers are just as easy as Windows Update. And they update EVERYTHING on your computer.. not just the operating system.

To make an intelligent choice, go to http://www.distrowatch.com and read the reviews of each of these (and others). Then you can make some realistic and accurate decisions about what flavor of Linux will suit your needs. :yes:

Barney

Edited by barneyt

Ok, I reserved some HDD space for a Linux install, but now I don't know which distro to install. I would like something that is user friendly and it can easy install packages- as little compiling as possile. I have a few choices such as Mandriva Linux, Fedora Core 4, or Ubuntu. I'm open for other suggestions, as long as it's not SuSE.

Thanks.

586510824[/snapback]

* merged into the definitive thread *

Ok, I'm pretty sure there are tones of other people who already asked this question but ya...I worked a bit with RedHat about 2 years ago but pretty much lost it all.... and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which client is best to start with!

Thanx!