773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

oh... and isnt that to do with the kernel? :wacko: sorry im kinda new to linux... i'd rather not have to add anything that complicated...

or can i just specifiy it in the install wizard (if there is one?)

no, you dont need to do anything with the kernel. just an rpm you double click on.

585641071[/snapback]

[me]glad he nots using rpm based distro[/me]

I can't stand the doulbe click I'd rather of run it from term.

Trying pacman for arch right pretty cool

dude, its just one file thats not in the reps.

fedora has yum, but im using smart with it, which is the best package manager ive ever used.

if you really want to use a commandline, you can do

rpm -Uvh ntfsthingy.rpm

but i really dont see why you would want to do that.

ah thanks. i've decided to stick with SuSE for now, as i couldn't find an ftp-installer iso image... and i didnt wanna wait for a week downloading gigabytes of openoffice and junk i don't need on CDs...

but i'm gonna try it on a spare HD on another comp :yes:

[offtopic]

what does rpm stand for? noob question i know.... >.<

and also, how do i make it so that i have 2 double click instead of single clicking a file to run it? thnx.

[/offtopic]

well you can install just hte first cd and then download the files you want after that.

i have no idea what rpm stands for. im guessing hte pm stands for package management, and the r might mean redhat.

go into the kde control center and look in the peripherals-mouse section

ah thanks. i've decided to stick with SuSE for now, as i couldn't find an ftp-installer iso image... and i didnt wanna wait for a week downloading gigabytes of openoffice and junk i don't need on CDs...

but i'm gonna try it on a spare HD on another comp :yes:

[offtopic]

what does rpm stand for? noob question i know.... >.<

and also, how do i make it so that i have 2 double click instead of single clicking a file to run it? thnx.

[/offtopic]

585641160[/snapback]

Red Hat Package Manager

... I'm using Gentoo for 5 months already ... but I hear everyone saying Ubuntu's better ... what's the difference between Ubuntu and Gentoo ? ... Aren't they the same, with just one thing different ? (Portage for Gentoo, and .. whatever for Ubuntu ?)

... so I think we should also consider the community of that distro when choosing which one's the best :) ... I love the gentoo forum, and the people at gentoo-dev are all nice ^^

I just switched to arch from slackware.

I love arch it everything slack has but better

great package manager

works with all distros you learn linux without user coded gui tools

I'm happy

Since this is the "which distro" thread, I thought I'll post my question here. I need a distro. I haven't kept up with the distro scene so I'm kinda lost (I'm an LFS user). I'm looking for a distro with the following features:

- Kernel 2.6.9 or later (this is a MUST!!!)

- Small/lightweight (since I'm installing this in qemu and bochs)

- No compiling necessary (there's no way I'm doing gentoo in bochs and I don't want to make another LFS system)

- Text-mode installer is preferable.

So, what do you guys/gals reccomend?

EDIT: Since I'm gonna run this in bochs, I'd say an additional requirement would be that it should be able to run ok on something as slow as a 386.

Edited by MrA

Since this is the "which distro" thread, I thought I'll post my question here.  I need a distro.  I haven't kept up with the distro scene so I'm kinda lost (I'm an LFS user).  I'm looking for a distro with the following features:

- Kernel 2.6.9 or later (this is a MUST!!!)

- Small/lightweight (since I'm installing this in qemu and bochs)

- No compiling necessary (there's no way I'm doing gentoo in bochs and I don't want to make another LFS system)

- Text-mode installer is preferable.

So, what do you guys/gals reccomend?

585656372[/snapback]

Go with arch install takes about 10-15 minutes maybe even 15 you can have kernel 2.6.10

there pacman (package manger thing)

and it light wait someone said I think the basics install with only the basic tools is like 80meg

Go with arch install takes about 10-15 minutes maybe even 15 you can have kernel 2.6.10

and it light wait someone said I think the basics install with only the basic tools is like 80meg

585656414[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into this. Just a quick question. On the downloads page, there's an arch and an arch-base iso. Would I be correct in assuming that arch-base contains a base installation without the crap (kde,gnome,etc)?

As far as "Which linux distro" is concerned; I give my vote-

GENTOO!!!!!!

Took me almost three weeks to get a working, running install, whereas I had (K)ubuntu up and running in under an hour, RH and Fedora in 3 hours appeice and I have a Knoppix CD lying around, and all I can say is "It was worth the three weeks."

It's just fast. And really, really nice to work with- Using Gentoo is like having a Jet-Engine-powered shopping cart; It's powerful as crap, and it comes almost empty, leaving you plenty of room to put whatever you want into it, and still stay cruising quickly.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking into this.  Just a quick question.  On the downloads page, there's an arch and an arch-base iso.  Would I be correct in assuming that arch-base contains a base installation without the crap (kde,gnome,etc)?

585656466[/snapback]

I got the full thing but you probably want a basic. They recommend installing only the basic. I configured ndiswrapper and did 'packman -Syu' which updates all the packages you have it will even update the kernel

... I'm using Gentoo for 5 months already ... but I hear everyone saying Ubuntu's better ... what's the difference between Ubuntu and Gentoo ? ... Aren't they the same, with just one thing different ? (Portage for Gentoo, and .. whatever for Ubuntu ?)

... so I think we should also consider the community of that distro when choosing which one's the best :) ... I love the gentoo forum, and the people at gentoo-dev are all nice ^^

585647749[/snapback]

Close, I guess- Ubuntu's pretty similar to Gentoo (haven't worked extensively with either, feel free to correct me there), but there's one *huge* difference-- Ubuntu is built for you.

There's a serious, serious speed difference in Gentoo when you make the kernel and programs yourself with optemisation versus downloading the prepackaged bins or just compiling with no optomizing.

As far as "Which linux distro" is concerned; I give my vote-

GENTOO!!!!!!

Took me almost three weeks to get a working, running install, whereas I had (K)ubuntu up and running in under an hour, RH and Fedora in 3 hours appeice and I have a Knoppix CD lying around, and all I can say is "It was worth the three weeks."

It's just fast. And really, really nice to work with- Using Gentoo is like having a Jet-Engine-powered shopping cart; It's powerful as crap, and it comes almost empty, leaving you plenty of room to put whatever you want into it, and still stay cruising quickly.

585656503[/snapback]

Whilst decreasing CPU usage, and increasing in effeciency.

It took me 3 days solid to properly install Gentoo 2005.0 / Kernel 2.6.11.5 / KDE 3.4 and I'm still reading through the manual for the 3rd time...there's so much to learn and I really like it. But as a text-command server - NOT a desktop machine because 8 hours of compiling KDE 3.4 didn't do much for me.

Fedora Core 4 (Test 1) is what I'm downloading at the moment for desktop usage (it comes with KDE 3.4 anyways afaik).

Whilst decreasing CPU usage, and increasing in effeciency.

It took me 3 days solid to properly install Gentoo 2005.0 / Kernel 2.6.11.5 / KDE 3.4 and I'm still reading through the manual for the 3rd time...there's so much to learn and I really like it. But as a text-command server - NOT a desktop machine because 8 hours of compiling KDE 3.4 didn't do much for me.

Fedora Core 4 (Test 1) is what I'm downloading at the moment for desktop usage (it comes with KDE 3.4 anyways afaik).

585656695[/snapback]

i've heard it unstable

i've heard it unstable

585656851[/snapback]

Fedora Core 3.90 (aka FC4 Test 1) is unstable? I haven't heard any reports as yet, but is it more stable than FC3 (if so, then goody)?

I've just completed downloading FC4 and I'm burning it right now...so hopefully all will be good with it.

My plan will be:

Server: Gentoo 2005.0

Client: Fedora Core 4 (Test 1)

585656414[/snapback]

I tried arch. Bochs doesn't like it. Any other distros that fit my requirements?

Well, I've tried and tried again to install FC4 and you're right. It is unstable, it just won't boot into X...sooooo many problems with it. So, I reinstalled FC3 without any problems at all and I'm sticking to this version until FC4 becomes final and most importantly...stable.

Well I posted in this thread right at the begining... I was quite the newbie (well I still am, and probably allways will be with linux), and then I found Arch Linux. I dont *think* I'll be switching for a LONG time :)

I just want to know why Fedora/Mandrake/SuSe need 3+ CDs, while Gentoo only needs 2, and Ubuntu only needs 1? Does it mean that Gentoo/Ubuntu needs more work (read installation of software) to get it up and running properly? or does Gentoo/Ubuntu just not come with a lot of redundant stuff?