Windows XP Pro x64 VLK Leaked

darkmark327
can some please explain to me why they cannot use one key for one disc.? A different key for each cd produced that key would only unlock that cd.? And can't they just put copy protection on the disk so it can't be copied.? I understand that it would be monumental to do this on a corporate scale but if they volume license the software then they can get a key for multiple media.? But only a key for that specific company or VL aggreement.

585871847[/snapback]

That is what happens, and then someone leaks their VLK. And if you're going to say "punish the company that leaks it," remember whose key the FCKGW was. I'll give you a hint, that leaked XP was called the "Devil's Own."

jerzdawg
can some please explain to me why they cannot use one key for one disc.  A different key for each cd produced that key would only unlock that cd.  And can't they just put copy protection on the disk so it can't be copied.  I understand that it would be monumental to do this on a corporate scale but if they volume license the software then they can get a key for multiple media.  But only a key for that specific company or VL aggreement.

585871847[/snapback]

not sure that could work since that would require each disk to have some specific code on it to match the key... which means they couldnt mass produce 1 disk

devilotX

Devil's Own = MS own VLK?

riahc3
No, I work at Best Buy and the Microsoft Representative there has sent me copies of eanything I want for free (excluding shipping charges).  I did get Office 2003 Pro for $11.64 :p

585869775[/snapback]

Are a manager or something? I didnt know just for being a normal employee you get these benifits.

Actually everyone who has a "legit" copy should be aware of the following "fun" fact:

The new Microsoft Update site will start using validation on your systems to allow whether or not you get updates.  And it looks like it checks your VLK against known good VLKs and therefore reports any 'self generated' VLK keys as invalid/illegal/pirated.

585871552[/snapback]

Right. My illegal key is validated by MS to be perfectly legal. :rolleyes:

Arckon
Devil's Own = MS own VLK?

585872299[/snapback]

No, from what I understand, Devil's Own = a company whose name starts w/ D

I could be wrong though.

Groovedude
this doesn't surprise me at all

585869451[/snapback]

yes what was it they say in the matrix it was invetable *i think thats how you spell it*

tomwarren

It's more suprising that 6 VLKs leaked than anything.

*me hugs his legit copies from WinHEC ;)*

Groovedude

585872430[/snapback]

/me got no one to hug :(

ANova
Actually everyone who has a "legit" copy should be aware of the following "fun" fact:

The new Microsoft Update site will start using validation on your systems to allow whether or not you get updates.  And it looks like it checks your VLK against known good VLKs and therefore reports any 'self generated' VLK keys as invalid/illegal/pirated.

585871552[/snapback]

Doesn't matter, updates will still be available through the windows automatic update service and any programs like DirectX, WMP, etc. will be available on IRC, Usenet and Bittorent.

Cloud Geek

http://www.neowin.net/forum/rules.htm

"No Warez (links) & Cracks: help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to illegally obtained software, movies & music files - posting about it, and suggesting to get it."

so by saying

"that means i can upgrade my illegal version of windows xp pro to 64??? "

"Microsoft thinks my version is legit :-D "

"Right. My illegal key is validated by MS to be perfectly legal."

is that "posting about it"?

Edited by MvT Cracker
darkmark327
can some please explain to me why they cannot use one key for one disc.? A different key for each cd produced that key would only unlock that cd.? And can't they just put copy protection on the disk so it can't be copied.? I understand that it would be monumental to do this on a corporate scale but if they volume license the software then they can get a key for multiple media.? But only a key for that specific company or VL aggreement.

Oh, NM I didn't realize you meant each CD would be unique. That's not worth the cost, especially since a) the retail isn't what leaks, and activation more-or-less makes the retail not worth pirating (and largely accomplishes what you're suggesting, except it links one key to one machine instead of one key to one CD) because b) the VLK verison is what leaks and is what's used because it lacks activation.

Vorenus
http://www.neowin.net/forum/rules.htm

"No Warez (links) & Cracks: help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to illegally obtained software, movies & music files - posting about it, and suggesting to get it."

so by saying

"that means i can upgrade my illegal version of windows xp pro to 64??? "

"Microsoft thinks my version is legit :-D "

"Right. My illegal key is validated by MS to be perfectly legal."

is that "posting about it"?

585874109[/snapback]

Who cares? And they aren't talking about how to circumvent. They are just suggesting that they did circumvent. But again - who cares?

Black Raven

Like it woudn't happen. They will always find a way to circumvent copy protections.

Bushrat

One solution for microsoft....

Go open source :p

Nexus-

585871552[/snapback]

um no it doesnt it checks pid ranges. all you have to do is have a pid in a non-blacklisted range and you are safe.

L3thal
2 hrs salary for office? you were robbed!

585870338[/snapback]

Two hour salary? Takes me less than an hour of work to afford those shipping charges. Best Buy doesn't pay garbage like fast food chains do, buddy.

ChopSuey
Nice to see people upgrading there 32bit license to a nice 64bit one which is for an OS which doesnt have full support yet. No anti-virus/firewall software, no decent graphics drivers and a nice list of non-working programs, COOL.  :woot:

585871798[/snapback]

You must still be using Windows 95. :p

ChopSuey

585872430[/snapback]

That surprised me as well (6 VLKs). I am sure those 6 VLKs won't last long though (probably already blacklisted).

I wish I was at WinHEC :p

bobeck
Nice to see people upgrading there 32bit license to a nice 64bit one which is for an OS which doesnt have full support yet. No anti-virus/firewall software, no decent graphics drivers and a nice list of non-working programs, COOL.  :woot:

585871798[/snapback]

hmmm let's see...avast works just fine x64 for av...nvidia forceware network manager for firewall...vid drivers and chipset drivers are fine...and the only thing i've found that won't run is SP:CT...for me one game isn't gonna keep me from using it

ChopSuey
hmmm let's see...avast works just fine x64 for av...nvidia forceware network manager for firewall...vid drivers and chipset drivers are fine...and the only thing i've found that won't run is SP:CT...for me one game isn't gonna keep me from using it

585879115[/snapback]

SP:CT won't run because of the Starforce drivers right?

bobeck
SP:CT won't run because of the Starforce drivers right?

585879119[/snapback]

honestly no clue...i read a gaming comparison between 32 and 64 bit windows on the [H] and decided to try it for myself...same exact results....game installs and patches but will not run

ChopSuey

Looks like I was right... this came from another forum:

Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory is wrapped in StarForce's copy protection, which relies on a 32-bit driver that does not work correctly with WOW64 (Windows x64).

StarForce are reportedly working on x64 compatible versions, but it's likely each game will need to be patched as well.

futb0l

so what is the benefit of getting the x64 version rather than the 32?

Spyker

i think it has been asked before but not answerd, what is the actual size of the data on the Windows 64 pro CD