Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

We must ask you to please refrain from posting links, or even hints as to where to obtain this release. We warn you - immediate action will be taken on anyone who disregards our request. Thank you.

"There is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components," Jeff Harrell writes for The Shape of Days. "The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs... I estimate that we?re down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.) If I can think through this stuff, Apple?s management can think through this stuff. This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I?ve ever seen."

"According to reports, Apple?s bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed... Given Apple?s experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple?s management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife ?05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation. As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs. Apple?s giving their potential future customers a free taste, that?s what they?re doing. It?s a try-before-you-buy deal," Harrell writes.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/6012/

since when did cd keys do anything for softare? product activation or the like is what counts.

586052544[/snapback]

how so? Windows XP has product activiation.... :rolleyes:

i wonder if Apple will introduce CD-keys for their OSX for Intel?

586052524[/snapback]

since when did cd keys do anything for softare? product activation or the like is what counts.

in the end nothing is going to stop the determined. but keys have become just a minor nusance with leaked keys comming out within days of the initial release of software. at least product activation makes enough difference were it takes at least a month to beat.

in the end nothing is going to stop the determined. but keys have become just a minor nusance with leaked keys comming out within days of the initial release of software. at least product activation makes enough difference were it takes at least a month to beat.

586052560[/snapback]

Photoshop CS2's Activation got beat before it got fully released :p

Have you ever thought that they're are doing it on purpose mate? Free advertising. It won't be out until 2007, and by then they'll have plenty of nice stuff added.

This has not been proven yet. The so called confirmed reports are fake. No developer has even recieved their dev system yet. Therefore unless an apple employee leaked it, these rumors are fake.

Have you ever thought that they're are doing it on purpose mate? Free advertising. It won't be out until 2007, and by then they'll have plenty of nice stuff added.

586052648[/snapback]

This could be true indeed!

I had a thought - isnt it unlikely that this os is floating around since i doubt the developers have got their dev systems from Apple yet. OF course it may have been leaked from somewhere else, i would have thought it would be too risky for someone to leak it from their dev systems since presumably it would be traced back to the company?

586052648[/snapback]

Thats exactly what the article says, if you care to read it...

Will it run on AMD's? Thats all I'm interested in. I'm assuming that it should'nt have a problem.

What legal battles. i mean sure whatw as leaked is early build of the finale version of Intel Mac OsX 10.4 or 5 or what ever so it shouldant have legal battles.

Will it run on AMD's? Thats all I'm interested in. I'm assuming that it should'nt have a problem.

586052732[/snapback]

That's what I am interested in knowing. It would be a shame if they implement Intel specific calls, but that is their decision to make.

The article talks about how the dev kits are "basically standard intel hardware" so there is a chance it could run on PCs. AMD...worth a shot but probaly no. I wouldnt bet it would work on all standard intels either.

No-one knows for sure if it really works or infact if its a real copy. From the swedish text i translated most have said they will try it on their mac or have said cannot load it with toast to burn it.