Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Well what site was the article talking about then...

586052766[/snapback]

It's just eBull, don't believe everything you read on internet news sites.

Does it mean we're all switching to Mac OS X? :D

586052892[/snapback]

Er... not yet. Give it at least a week before the dev machines ship, someone will leak a DVD image.

Er... not yet. Give it at least a week before the dev machines ship, someone will leak a DVD image.

586052904[/snapback]

It's supposed to be pre-installed on the machines

586053014[/snapback]

Yeah, and then when you have to reinstall OSX because your PRE-RELEASE operating system, along with your ALPHA/BETA quality software fudges up the harddrive, you.. ship the system back to apple?

Give me a break.

586053014[/snapback]

Er... all Apple systems, even Dev units come with DVD's of the OS incase you need to reinstall, which is quite likely from a Alpha/beta/dev machine. EVEN IF they don't ship the DVD you can extract the OS from the hard drive with a drive image and install it on another machine.

It's all possible.

<<<FLAME REMOVED>>>

- shockz

Edited by shockz

jesus people.. why you gotta jump down the guys throat. he didnt know give him a break.

one thing i didnt like that i found is that this is a once off build for developers.. i hope thats not true and they get updates too.. would suck if you guys use this and cant update :p i love my mac :)

jesus people.. why you gotta jump down the guys throat.  he didnt know give him a break.

one thing i didnt like that i found is that this is a once off build for developers.. i hope thats not true and they get updates too.. would suck if you guys use this and cant update :p i love my mac :)

586053166[/snapback]

If he'd say "I believe..", then it's one thing.

The way he said it though left no room for other possibilities, eg. he's pretending to be "in the know".

He made a statement that quite simply didn't make sense, considering the volatile nature of application-porting.

Leaving devs with no way of restoring their system would be a *major* logistics headache for apple.

In other words, it should be pointed out that he doesn't have a clue, and that his post should be disregarded.

jesus people.. why you gotta jump down the guys throat.  he didnt know give him a break.

586053166[/snapback]

First of all, these n00bs need putting in their places.

Secondly, I love my Mac too, so I don't care about updates for the x86 build.

Does it even run on normal PC's? If so, why would Apple go through all the trouble providing a PC running Mac OS X 10.4.1 Intel that has to be returned in December?

I'm pretty sure it hasn't leaked, if it has, it's a Apple employee who did it.

and, if it has leaked, i'm sure it will run on amd cpu's, only problem is if it used Intel specific features (like how code that used MMX wouldn't work on AMD cpu's, without MMX)

i would love to try it, but basically all it is is Tiger, on intel cpu's, it's not some special alpha build of 10.5, it's just a intel build of 10.4.1, with the debug flag set.

586053166[/snapback]

I love your Mac too, Twice each night. :rofl:

But seriously, even if it has not been leaked yet it will eventually and I do doubt it will work on an AMD system, I'm going to put down some simple reasons I think there could be complications in the coming weeks.

No nVidia / ATi Graphic drivers only Intel integrated graphics drives.

You know how some Linux Distro's have 2 different versions 1 for Intel 1 for AMD A64? Apple would not have any support for A64, there using Intel.

Just my 2 thoughts on this, but if a version does get leaked (which it no doubt will) we should be able to install it in Virtual PC ok this is like PearPC but because its not changing the whole architecture to another processor the emulation should in practice be much smoother. Either that or build an Intel system Identical to that of the Apple Dev kits.

jobs has stated that they have no plans to make the transition to allow Mac OS to run on a non-mac system. That move doesn't make sense when you break it down. Mac can use their Hardware to sell their software and their software to sell their hardware. I would bet that is a postion that Bill Gates wishes microsoft had the ability to be in. That isn't to say that at some point in the future as the dynamics of this business changes as it always does that apple and jobs won't step back and re-evaluate this as an option. just my thoughts. I wouldn't doubt though that someone might come up with a way of making Mac for PC work.

No nVidia / ATi Graphic drivers only Intel integrated graphics drives.

586053188[/snapback]

damn good point

You know how some Linux Distro's have 2 different versions 1 for Intel 1 for AMD A64? Apple would not have any support for A64, there using Intel.

586053188[/snapback]

Thats because the AMD64 distro is 64bit code, whereas the intel one is most likely 32bit, when 64Bit intel chips become more mainstream, expect to see one 64bit distro.

im guessing drivers will be sparse;;; actually why can't i assume that the only drivers available will be the ones needed to run mac os x.4.1 on the dev kits?

Now that makes sense.

Also, S.Jobs announced that ALL Mac OS X builds were designed to run on an Intel chip, this may be a very stupid question, but if that's the case - then could one purchase 10.4 and install it on an Intel PC? (not at default installation, but let's say...modified) - is it likely to work?

I'm not asking for warez information - just a simple yay or nay to this query.

586053219[/snapback]

No, all Intel builds were internal, meaning they never got shipped. The builds you can buy are all compilt for PPC.

so can this Version of OSX work on say my current PC with P4 3.0 ghz Intel 865GLC motherboard? Or is it only certain chipsets?

Now that makes sense.

Also, S.Jobs announced that ALL Mac OS X builds were designed to run on an Intel chip, this may be a very stupid question, but if that's the case - then could one purchase 10.4 and install it on an Intel PC? (not at default installation, but let's say...modified) - is it likely to work?

586053219[/snapback]

No, what Steve Jobs meant is INTERNALLY they have kept an x86 up to date copy of OSX for each release...

they've been doing this since OSX was first released because Jobs is no idiot, he knew eventually PPC was going to be phased out of Apples future

Now that makes sense.