Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Thats because the AMD64 distro is 64bit code, whereas the intel one is most likely 32bit, when 64Bit intel chips become more mainstream, expect to see one 64bit distro.

586053223[/snapback]

Yer your right Actually, I never thought of it like that, I looked at the Ubuntu page (where I first spotted this A64 build) and it says basically that what you said..

Ah right.

So running 10.0 - 10.4 will not work on an Intel Mac (if purchased today for example). It's just a case of releasing update patches to get them all to work on the system? or re-releasing all those internal builds.

then could one purchase 10.4 and install it on an Intel PC? (not at default installation, but let's say...modified) - is it likely to work?

586053219[/snapback]

Wait until it ships, it might be reliant on Apple components then (like Open Firmware, and the Boot Rom)

Very interesting read. Also, does anyone know what kind of system specs you need to run Tiger on your PC?

586053245[/snapback]

No official info has been released from Apple, but as far as I know the intel systems running os x at thw wwdc were of pretty pretty high specs, and the CPU itself was over 3.2Ghz. And i'm not even sure they'll officially release a version of Tiger for the intel PC (officially and publically, that is).

Wait until it ships, it might be reliant on Apple components then (like Open Firmware, and the Boot Rom)

586053246[/snapback]

All these restrictions makes things far more difficult (which is the whole point I guess).

x86 Requirements

- Intel Motherboard (specific BIOS and chipset)

- Intel CPU (off the shelf)

- Mac OS X 10.4.1 (Universal Binary Edition)

Then again, we may have to await 10.5 for the official Universal Binary.

Despite us not being able to run this on all of our own regular x86 computers, at least perhaps in the not too distant future we could buy the specific parts and build ourselves a "cheap(er?)" apple system designed for OSX. Apples stance on the purchase of this hardware will probably be quite interesting :p.

Arent the Dev kits being sold 64-bit Intel CPU's. Theres not much point downgrading from the current 64-bit PPC in the G5 to a 32-bit Intel is there? Unless when the machines start shipping 64-bit Intel would be more mainstream.

This will clear up 32-bit & 64-bit questions:

The term x86 is a generic term used throughout this book to refer to the class of microprocessors manufactured by Intel. This book uses the term x86 as a synonym for IA-32 (Intel Architecture 32-bit).

Source: Universal Binary Programming Guidelines

BaLdMoNkEy: That might work, but if the boot-rom has been specifically written for Apple, then it 'might' be difficult to obtain the parts to build. But I'm sure someone will try ;)

Now that makes sense.

Also, S.Jobs announced that ALL Mac OS X builds were designed to run on an Intel chip, this may be a very stupid question, but if that's the case - then could one purchase 10.4 and install it on an Intel PC? (not at default installation, but let's say...modified) - is it likely to work?

I'm not asking for warez information - just a simple yay or nay to this query.

586053219[/snapback]

Okay, well see linux on an amd 64 only is required if you want an 64-bit solution. You can pickup a standard x686 iso that will run both on amd and intel systems. Only thing I think that will happen is that 10.4.1 is gonna be a switch over os basicly a test system in which they manipulate and see how things work out. I think os x 10.5 lepard or w/e will have full x86 binary support meaning it could run on both amd and intel. far as 64 bit support goes who knows if apple will contend to that since microsoft has to have two versions of there os to support it.

side note: Microsoft will be changing this requirement in longhorn for two installs. On the final product you choose between amd 64 and intel off the one disc.

The title upped my heartbeat a little.. I thought its all over internet while I was sleep.. Well if its in hands of few now.. I bet they are trrying to remove the digital watermark..

Now that makes sense.

Also, S.Jobs announced that ALL Mac OS X builds were designed to run on an Intel chip, this may be a very stupid question, but if that's the case - then could one purchase 10.4 and install it on an Intel PC? (not at default installation, but let's say...modified) - is it likely to work?

I'm not asking for warez information - just a simple yay or nay to this query.

586053219[/snapback]

Erk, the 64Bit tech that is in the P4 is the same as the Athlon, Intel reverse-engineered the AMD64 platform so their chips could run Windows XP 64Bit.

It's too early to get leaked unless Steve Jobs leaked it. :lol:

586053362[/snapback]

That's what people said about Tiger (The final Gold Master) it was leaked about 2 weeks(?) before release and about 4 weeks before it even made it to the ADC website.

How did that get leaked? .. who knows but its very possible its happened the same way maybe even the same person, that is if its been leaked at all.

I have a question:

Its been in the news for the past couple weeks that Apple has switched over to intel archecture. Does this mean that you will be able to choose between Windows and MacOS when you configure your dell PC in the future? Was this Apples whole plan now?

All the answers are in the last few pages, but basically apple say that you WILL NOT be able to run OSX on any hardware but apple's (Apple SAY... :p )

OSX is not going to be a "Dell choice" any time soon lmfao

They should just compile it with ICC, then at least it won't work on non Apple/Intel computers...?

586053386[/snapback]

From what I've read, the ICC generates very good code for athlons. Somehow, I don't think this was planned. :p

Anywho, If it was leaked, I think it'll be good for apple. For one thing, it'll get more people to try it out and more developers porting to it. Then in June next year when the new macs come out, people will buy the new macs to run OSX. They probably won't be able to run OSX on their existing computer since it'll probably rely on a Mac-specific BIOS.