• 3)Jim Brown
    • 4)3. Barry Sanders
    • 5)O.J. Simpson
    • 6)John Riggins
    • 7)Gayle Sayers
    • 8)Marcus Allen
    • 9)eric dickerson
    • 10)other

Biggest misconception in the world right there.

Sanders wouldn't know what to do with a line like that as he never was a north south runner.

And Emmitt's line was only dominant for about 4 years.  People always think this line lasted 14 years.

586133755[/snapback]

Right on! Glad to have someone who knows about Football (Y)

Right on! Glad to have someone who knows about Football (Y)

586134045[/snapback]

Right, because having a line is so much harder than not having one. The Cowboys line was always better than the lions in their time in the NFL, some of their core guys lasted for more than 4 years there.

Just because you think Sanders couldn't run with a 6'4"+ 300+ line doesn't make that the truth. IMO, Sanders could run with or without the line he just never had the chance, maybe with that line getting 2k would have happened more often.

Either way, it's pointless to argue, we grew up watching different players and different running styles. Of course we are going to pick those, and either of them are top backs but Sanders is just +1 :cool: :p

Right, because having a line is so much harder than not having one.  The Cowboys line was always better than the lions in their time in the NFL, some of their core guys lasted for more than 4 years there.

Just because you think Sanders couldn't run with a 6'4"+ 300+ line doesn't make that the truth.  IMO, Sanders could run with or without the line he just never had the chance, maybe with that line getting 2k would have happened more often.

Either way, it's pointless to argue, we grew up watching different players and different running styles.  Of course we are going to pick those, and either of them are top backs but Sanders is just +1  :cool:  :p

586134151[/snapback]

If he never had a chance tu run attacking the line the how are you so sure he was able to do it? :huh:

Also, about growing up watching different players is not so right since Sanders are Emmitt are fomr the same generation. We both watched them at the same time. Thats why the 90's were always debates of Sanders vs Smith

The season he got 2000+ yards was my fav season by any RB I have ever seen

which on he had like 3 in a row.

And Emmitt's line was only dominant for about 4 years. People always think this line lasted 14 years.

that line us together 90-98 about 8 years

that line made like 1.5-3 yard with out contact for emmitt if berry had that he could run down the middle, have you seen berry run with 3-5 guy around him he can make them all miss and get 20 yards. if emmitt was with 3-5 guys he would have went down

Well I'm sure that poll IS coming then.

im going to make 1 more poll like this not WR but D.

which on he had like 3 in a row.

586134369[/snapback]

He just had one season with more than 2000 rushing yards. But indeed he had 4 awesome seasons.

,Jun 28 2005, 16:09]If he never had a chance tu run attacking the line the how are you so sure he was able to do it??:huh::

I'm just as sure as you are that he can't, which is 50/50. You keep saying, finally someone who knows football, when you are just guessing yourself.

Also, about growing up watching different players is not so right since Sanders are Emmitt are fomr the same generation. We both watched them at the same time. Thats why the 90's were always debates of Sanders vs Smith

586134251[/snapback]

It's different since I grew up near Detroit and didn't see that many Dallas games to say I know how Emmitt played, I'm sure those in Dallas didn't see nearly as many Detroit games to watch Barry either, which is all I meant.

The highlights to the outside or up the middle does not tell the whole story about the back. They do have different styles, gun it hard to the middle and break ankles to the outside but Barry did it the best of his style while Payton did it the best of Emmitt's style.

I can't say about the older backs to well, I didn't get to see many of them play. Replays as you say don't tell the story as well as seeing the game develop. People can argue all they want, Emmitt was the best. . Until someone takes the all time rushing title he's the best. Could of beens and should of beens mean nothing in football.. they are a dime a dozen. I like watching many backs play, and have a great deal of respect for most of them. But the BEST shouldn't be taken lightly. People pick their favorite player as being the best..and don't consider anyone else. Granted Emmitt is my favorite player of all time. So some could say I'm doing the same thing.. but I always said that Payton was the best until Emmitt took the record. I don't think many fans understand what it takes to do what Emmitt did. And I've seen very few players with the heart Emmitt has. I could say negative things about other backs too, but I have to much respect for most all of them that ever played, so I'll just leave it at that. The things that affected other players careers affected Emmitts too. Bad teams, bad coaches, injures (although not career ending, I understand the difference there), but he just kept fighting and did what NO other back has ever done. Need I say more? :D

This is just one guys opinion..and that's what all of ours is here. OPINIONS.

Let me refresh my memory. I am thknking about this Vikings player. I dont remember if it was a Running back or Fullback. He mastered the "spin" and was known about that!

586133383[/snapback]

Chuck Foreman?

that line us together 90-98 about 8 years

586134369[/snapback]

No, the line was really only together for 4 years. Then free agency tore it apart. They were able to replace them with other bodies, but people primarily only think of Larry Allen...and he's been there the whole time. Nate Newton bugged out in '96, Tuenei in '95, and Erik Williams was never the same after his auto accident in '94. Stepnoski left in the mid 90's as well. They all started together in '92.

I'm just as sure as you are that he can't, which is 50/50.  You keep saying, finally someone who knows football, when you are just guessing yourself.

It's different since I grew up near Detroit and didn't see that many Dallas games to say I know how Emmitt played, I'm sure those in Dallas didn't see nearly as many Detroit games to watch Barry either, which is all I meant.

The highlights to the outside or up the middle does not tell the whole story about the back.  They do have different styles, gun it hard to the middle and break ankles to the outside but Barry did it the best of his style while Payton did it the best of Emmitt's style.

586134861[/snapback]

Barry wasn't a pass-catcher like Emmitt, nor was he near as devastating blocker as Emmitt, and he couldn't be relied upon where they needed him the most, the goal line, where arguably Emmitt was the best.

He could move better and was faster than Emmitt....that's about it.

Love Jim Brown and Since Im a Cowboys fan, Emmitt Smith too, but Walter Payton is THE running back that all other backs are compared to. He could run, catch, and block. A complete running back. I will always hate Ditka for not having him score a touchdown in the super bowl.

Barry wasn't a pass-catcher like Emmitt, nor was he near as devastating blocker as Emmitt, and he couldn't be relied upon where they needed him the most, the goal line, where arguably Emmitt was the best.

He could move better and was faster than Emmitt....that's about it.

586135457[/snapback]

Barry has roughly the same numbers, if not better if he kept playing (his #'s didn't drop), as Emmitt for receiving, so how wasn't he a pass catcher? Blocking, sure, goal line, sure but he wasn't that style of back.

Barry has roughly the same numbers, if not better if he kept playing (his #'s didn't drop), as Emmitt for receiving, so how wasn't he a pass catcher?  Blocking, sure, goal line, sure but he wasn't that style of back.

586136132[/snapback]

I would say that's when you need your back the most. short yardage and goal line.. short yardage keeps the ball moving and keeps your defense off the field. Goal line to punch it in or keep them guessing as what you will do, run or pass.

Barry has roughly the same numbers, if not better if he kept playing

586136132[/snapback]

If my aunt had testicles, she'd be my uncle. :p

Barry selfishly quit. Left his team in the lurch AFTER the draft where they could have filled his void. He was a great back, don't get me wrong, but that one act sours me to him.

the cowboys all way had a good line to say just because these people left they had a bad line would wrong. still beleve berry is the best. i only saw like 10 games with him. i like in CA and only start watching football in 95 i was 8. im a raider fan and i dont remeber most people on the raiders. but i do remeber berry runs.

the cowboys all way had a good line to say just because these people left they had a bad line would wrong.

586137861[/snapback]

Dude, I bleed Cowboy Blue and Silver. The line that was truly devastating only lasted around 4 years.

And before you say I am blinded by my bias, I picked Walter Payton.

I think it's rather obvious that the vast majority os people in this forum never saw Jim Brown play!

586138528[/snapback]

Or rather obvious that he would be rather ordinary in today's NFL.

He was just way ahead of his time.

Or rather obvious that he would be rather ordinary in today's NFL.

He was just way ahead of his time.

586138620[/snapback]

Sorry Boog, but ratter ordinary? He did what he did with less equipment, less games per season and less rules to protect players. He was more than a player ahead of his time I can tell you.

A friend's father used to has a lot of Football tapes. Many of them where about Brown. The way he moved, they way he attacked the line. He is one of the 2 or 3 players that I have seen that where skillful attacking the line or running the corner (The other one is Terrel Davis).

Right, but he was playing against people who were much smaller, slower and weaker than today's players. He was just way ahead of his time, and that made him stand out a whole lot.