• 3)Jim Brown
    • 4)3. Barry Sanders
    • 5)O.J. Simpson
    • 6)John Riggins
    • 7)Gayle Sayers
    • 8)Marcus Allen
    • 9)eric dickerson
    • 10)other

Right, but he was playing against people who were much smaller, slower and weaker than today's players.  He was just way ahead of his time, and that made him stand out a whole lot.

586139027[/snapback]

Man, in those times players like Buktus were playing in the league. I dont think that its smaller, slower and weaker.

second would be Bettis.

586139065[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*catches his breath again*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man! That was a good one. :p

You mean Emmitt Bettis Smith?

:laugh:  bettis.  hehe

586139133[/snapback]

agreed. Bettis its just a slower, fatter and dumber version of Emmitt. His succes in attacking the line its not because skill but because he is so frigging heavy to be tackled easily.

Barry without a doubt. The man was the WHOLE team. It was pretty much 1 vs 11 every game. Opposing teams plan, "STOP BARRY!!"

He almost came to the Dolphins years back. But the Lions didn't want to release him of his contract on whether he came back he had to finish up couple more years with Detroit. (Selfish ******s)

Anyways, Payton would have my vote for 2nd place. The man was simply before his time.

barry sanders hands down, he had no team around him, and when he wanted out they wouldn't even trade him. He could of crushed every record in the books if Detroit wouldn't of forced him to retire.

Bo Jackson had the possibility of being a great back, too bad her got injured :(

barry sanders hands down, he had no team around him, and when he wanted out they wouldn't even trade him.  He could of crushed every record in the books if Detroit wouldn't of forced him to retire.

Bo Jackson had the possibility of being a great back, too bad her got injured :(

586139310[/snapback]

How exactly did Detroit force Barry to retire? Barry quit.

Barry has roughly the same numbers, if not better if he kept playing (his #'s didn't drop), as Emmitt for receiving, so how wasn't he a pass catcher?  Blocking, sure, goal line, sure but he wasn't that style of back.

586136132[/snapback]

That excuses if getting pretty old, if he kept playing he might have but he didnt, people need to realzie this he quit end of story, no if's,ands or buts

That excuses if getting pretty old, if he kept playing he might have but he didnt, people need to realzie this he quit end of story, no if's,ands or buts

586139410[/snapback]

(Y) Absolutely.

How exactly did Detroit force Barry to retire?  Barry quit.

586139377[/snapback]

because they wouldn't trade or release barry. They would not build a team around him, they pretty much left it a mediocre team that depended on him every down almost. That forced him to retire, he was tired of it all being on him and he wanted to win for once.

The question was who is the best running back, not who has the best stats. This is why Marino is the best statistical QB but most people will name Montana or someone else. Barry had the most talent at the back, he made people miss more than anyone else.

The question was who is the best running back, not who has the best stats.  This is why Marino is the best statistical QB but most people will name Montana or someone else. Barry had the most talent at the back, he made people miss more than anyone else.

586140537[/snapback]

Just because he was the most talented and has a ton of highlight reel plays doesnt mean he was the best running back. Sure the man did unbelievable stuff on the football field but how many playoff games did they win? He was an awesome back on artificial surfaces but I can remember times on natural surfaces that Barry looked like a no. 3 back.

586139410[/snapback]

True but SlammedGST took my point about Detroit, thought I posted about that but maybe I closed out before I did. It's not the fact that he retired suddenly, he still wanted to play but not with Detroit which makes his stats a little hard to swallow as is.

Even his stats standing, during their career, Sanders was the better RB.

Just because he was the most talented and has a ton of highlight reel plays doesnt mean he was the best running back. Sure the man did unbelievable stuff on the football field but how many playoff games did they win? He was an awesome back on artificial surfaces but I can remember times on natural surfaces that Barry looked like a no. 3 back.

586140965[/snapback]

play off games? please, you can't judge him by that, he never had a team that could really even get to the play offs. When you are the only good player on your team, and you are in a dependent position, you just can't judge by that. Yes, you can judge by the highlight reel, because best doesn't mean just stats, best means alot of things and most talented is one of them.

play off games? please, you can't judge him by that, he never had a team that could really even get to the play offs.  When you are the only good player on your team, and you are in a dependent position, you just can't judge by that.  Yes, you can judge by the highlight reel, because best doesn't mean just stats, best means alot of things and most talented is one of them.

586141982[/snapback]

Explain the team that made it to the NFC championship game then in '91.

Emmit Smith, I am not a Dallas fan but Emmit had more heart then any back i've ever seen, the game against the Giants when he seperated his shoulder and continued to play/dominate the rest of the game..wow.

Another instance was a game on Monday night when he went high over the top and landed on his hat, I thought he broke his neck, carried off on a stretcher, of course he was back the next week.

We all now he had a great team/O-line around him and perhaps Barry or Walter would have had better carreers in Big D,who knows.

Typically I never talk sports cause it's not my thing. But I have to say with complete honesty... Walter "sweetness" Payton. I was 11 years old when I met him at the Sears Tower. Although he didn't look fast, or like a football player, it was absolutely a pleasure to have met him.

For a guy that ran 275 yards in a single game... I say, beat that....

21,803 yards.... 12.39 miles on a football field aint too shabby

ftball_19.jpg

For a guy that ran 275 yards in a single game... I say, beat that...

586143938[/snapback]

Corey Dillon did it :p

Explain the team that made it to the NFC championship game then in '91.

586143814[/snapback]

explain before that and 91-98?

lost to the reskins 41-10...

they went 12-4..best they ever really did in the all of the 90s. They can't beat a champion and in the 90s the NFC was supreme

Jamal Lewis its a weird player IMO. I know his stats are insane... but I dont like him as a RB for an unknow reason :/