• 3)Jim Brown
    • 4)3. Barry Sanders
    • 5)O.J. Simpson
    • 6)John Riggins
    • 7)Gayle Sayers
    • 8)Marcus Allen
    • 9)eric dickerson
    • 10)other

Ok now hear this! Julius Jones, is the best running back of all time!!!

umm ok I'm a little ahead of the times on this one.. lol and maybe VERY optimistic?

Had to lighten it up in here a little more.. even tho jmole was working on it. :D

barry sanders never led his team deep in the playoffs, can't be the greatest...................the answer is walter payton

Jim Brown, I can't even believe their is an argument. How many times did he lead the league in rushing? Like 8 of his 10 years or something like that, I wont look up the exact number, so the perfectionists can flame me for that. How many guys did it take to bring him down, did he ever move or cut? Not too often. He said he didn't like to go around opponents, he wanted to go through them to inflict pain on them like they were trying to do to him. Watching film of Jim Brown run the football is amazing, no one does it like that, maybe Earl Campbell.

Barry Sanders is my favorite player and he is number 2 for me. Watching him run was artistic. I also would have quit too, the Lions lied to him so many times about how they were going to get better players to help him. They didn't and they wouldn't trade him, so he quit. Lets put Barry Sanders behind what Emmit had, then, we wouldn't even have this argument, Sanders would have so many damn yards it would be insane. Even tho Barry wasn't normally a RB to hit the line.

Payton was good, but he also had a wonderful defense. The Bears would run the ball and pound the defensive line down. Then the other team got the ball, the Bears defense punched them in the mouth, three and out, punt the ball to the Bears and start the cycle over. It is easy to run on a tired defense. No disrespect to Payton, but he is number 3 or 4 to me. He was great to watch, but he had some good circumstances.

Payton was good, but he also had a wonderful defense. The Bears would run the ball and pound the defensive line down. Then the other team got the ball, the Bears defense punched them in the mouth, three and out, punt the ball to the Bears and start the cycle over. It is easy to run on a tired defense. No disrespect to Payton, but he is number 3 or 4 to me. He was great to watch, but he had some good circumstances.

586171346[/snapback]

you're letting '85 cloud your memories of '76-'84 The Bears were downright awful on both sides of the ball.

barry sanders never led his team deep in the playoffs, can't be the greatest...................the answer is walter payton

586167682[/snapback]

Probably because the rest of his team always sucked! Replace Emmit and Barry back in the day and Barry gets more yards with the Cowboys - no doubt.

586167682[/snapback]

i take it you didn't read boogs posts then... 1991 they went to the NFC championship.

• 1 month later...

I have been watching RBs since 1970. I have been a fan of many over the years. I have seen footage of all the greats. As far is who is the best in history. Its very hard to argue for just one. Who was the most fun to watch? This one is a bit easier to argue.

Without question Barry Sanders!. He was the most electrifying runner ever. Probably will never see one like him again. Don't make me laugh and mention Emmit in the same sentence as Barry. Even Emmit knows the truth on this one.

I loved Emmit too, very hard working back. Strong willed etc. If Emmits brain had Barrys body I think he would have 30,000 yards. Emmit loved TDs, loved winning, would stay in with a broken leg. He was tough. Total respect for Emmit Smith.

But when you ask Emmits old couch Jimmy Johnson who was the best pure runner he had ever seen (And this includes JIM brown) he said Barry Sanders! Ouch to Emmit.

When Emmit was asked about Barry. Emmit said they if Barry wanted to he could have set the mark so far out that no one could touch it.

When Defensive players were asked "who is the toughest person to tackle" Barrys name always came up. They would always have some remark like "he does things that no other back can do"

The great Jim Brown called Barry "a little genius on the field"

Inside the NFL is a HBO show that many pro players actually watch. Guess what team they loved to watch? The lions! Why? They had no love for the lions but they did love to see Sanders run.

Back when Terrell Davis was having a great year. He said he would get on the internet after every game to see what Barry did. Some sports shows were starting to say Terrell was as good as Barry. Terrel tongue and cheeked that he was king. But then he laughed and said "We all know Barrys the best" no matter what you other people say.

Anyone that questions Barrys greatness is either in denial or totally ignarrant. Even the damn players knew it.

Jim Brown, was he better? Hard to say, he was being chased by slow white guys (Sorry but in those days the defensive players were slower) Put Barry in against a bunch of slow guys and he would just have a field day. I think if Barry played for the same team that Brown did his stats would be better.

Who would I want on my team? To win a game Brown probably would have been more effective. He could run over people, he was better on goal line playes. Brown was a monster.

I use to talk to many HS and Collage RBs. I usually asked them who their favorite RB was. It was not always Sanders, sometimes it was a RB on a better team, or a power back etc. But I would also ask them ?who would you like to be able to run like? Then they would all of a sudden switch from their favorite RB to guess who? Barry Sanders!. This was just about 100% of the time. Whats that tell ya? That deep down they all knew.

Top three: Brown, Sanders and Payton.

Let me also add that I'm ****ed as hell that the little crybaby Barry quite early. He ****ed on his fans when did that moronic stupid exit. His father is a moron who did nothing but help Barry decide to quit. F U Mr. Sanders!!!!

Edited by Goblin1

Jim Brown.  A man among boys.

I would love to see what Bo Jackson and Terrell Davis would have done with full carriers.  Oh well, thats what Madden on xbox is for  :)

586438548[/snapback]

and I would have liked to have seen how incredibly ordinary Jim Brown would have been in today's NFL.

and I would have liked to have seen how incredibly ordinary Jim Brown would have been in today's NFL.

586439001[/snapback]

I agree, but, I try to never compare players from different Era's. I dont feel that babe Ruth would have been anything special in Today's league, or Johnny U playing for the Baltimore Ravens (I'd take him anyday over Boller). What about Gordie Howe? Prolly just an average goon in today's hockey.

I just try to compare players as they stood in the time that they stood in the time they played.

Another point that I thought of is imagine Jim Brown born in 1980, and, having grown up using modern Medicine, modern training techniques, etc, Would he be much better than Jim Brown playing in the 70's??

Emmitt Smith!! He has the all-time rushing record; probably the hardest record of all because most running backs don't last long enough. OJ didn't, Barry Sanders didn't and many others.

Walter Payton may be better, but I never got a chance to see him play unfortunately.

Emmitt Smith!! He has the all-time rushing record; probably the hardest record of all because most running backs don't last long enough. OJ didn't, Barry Sanders didn't and many others.

Walter Payton may be better, but I never got a chance to see him play unfortunately.

586440854[/snapback]

Barry Sanders and Walter Payton didn't have the best offensive line in the league as Smith did for most of his career.

I'd pick Sanders, but he retired too soon as far as I'm concerned. That's why my vote goes to Walter. It's still sad that he's no longer with us.

every on is saying barry gave up and all, but we all dont know, he could have lose his love for the gaming, couldnt see him self playing any more, didnt want to break a record and have people saying he was the best with out winning a ring. barry was a lion all his years in the NFL so dont say he quit because the lions couldnt win or he was sick of losing because me, you and everyone doesnt know why.