Longhorn Beta1 Invites are out!

Dear Microsoft Beta Tester,

We are pleased to offer you an early preview of Windows, Code-Name "Longhorn," by extending this invitation to join the Longhorn beta program. Your participation is completely voluntary. Longhorn Beta Program participants will preview software for the next generation of Windows as well as Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. If you choose to participate you will have the opportunity to provide Microsoft with feedback as we continue work on these exciting new releases.

What is Windows Code-Name "Longhorn"?

The next version of Windows, Code-Name "Longhorn," promises to be the most secure and intuitive Windows release to date. It delivers on the promise of allowing people to use their computers more effectively and confidently to achieve their goals and pursue their passions. It offers new tools to help protect the integrity of your system and your information, easier ways to find, visualize and organize your information, and provides better integration across applications, devices and systems.

Longhorn will provide advancements in the following key areas:

- A strong focus on the fundamentals of the operating system, including advancements in reliability, performance, deployment, and ease of use.

- Major improvements to help PC users to work smarter and provide exciting new experiences for home users.

- The next-generation developer platform to make it easier for developers to create breakthrough applications.

What you can expect if you choose to participate:

You will be notified by email this summer when the software becomes available to test. The beta software will be available via download. If you elect to receive mailed releases, only major milestone releases (Beta1, Beta 2, etc) will be sent to you.

Participants can expect access to Windows, Windows Server, the Windows Driver Kit the Platform Software Development Kit as well as Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. We may make other software available as well, and it's important to note that some of the above software may not be available immediately after the program gets underway.

--------------

Removed the remaining part of the email.... ;)

Whats the point of posting this if we can't join it?

586184972[/snapback]

So... you're expecting that the beta was going to start with absolutely no one on Neowin making a post that it was starting? It's not a post to allow you to join, it's a post to inform people that it's starting.

Oh, BTW, the new "Invitation IDs" are unique finally, so there will be no more guest ids past around. Sorry ;)

People people people,  is this for people that have already tested?

586184975[/snapback]

For now, as far as I know this invitation is extended for people who either had their name on the list (knowing someone, attending a conference, etc), for previous testers, and for people selected from the "Potential Beta Testers" survey on Betaplace.

Oh, BTW, the new "Invitation IDs" are unique finally, so there will be no more guest ids past around. Sorry ;)

For now, as far as I know this invitation is extended for people who either had their name on the list (knowing someone, attending a conference, etc), for previous testers, and for people selected from the "Potential Beta Testers" survey on Betaplace.

586184978[/snapback]

:laugh: :rofl: :p

yeap, that is correct and I love it! :p

this way they'll get rid of most of the "gimme gimme" people around all the betas asking from the retail copy of the product before it's even finished... :pinch: :huh: :unsure: :wacko: :rolleyes: :shifty: :p

****in dont let me in after i test so much ****in **** for them, so much time wasted on other crappy beta's just to get in to this, mother ****ers.

****in dont let me in after i test so much ****in **** for them, so much time wasted on other crappy beta's just to get in to this, mother ****ers.

586185031[/snapback]

:| You need some chocolate.

excuse me, I'll contect a buddy at M$ and see if I can get in as I didn't get my invite yet. maybe I cqan get in and play :devil: :devil: :devil:

a few people will be invited to join the first stage of the beta but as the beta progress more people will be invited to join in.

don't get angry so quickly, remember beta1 will no be as thrilling as beta2 will be... :happy: :happy: :yes:

Haha, yeah, of course there will still be some people added. As well as people added along the line as inactive people are removed. No worries for now.

On a side note, I can't believe how little attention this thread is getting. Guess it's because it's a Friday night or something. Oh, and this should definatly be BPN ;)

ive submitted a few requests on beta place and im enrolled in a few betas. Once i sign up on connect then what does microsoft send an invitation id

To reply to both willvg and dL: Registering at Microsoft Connect, will have absolutely no affect on you getting into the beta or not. It is simply the new portal that Microsoft will no be using. Eventually other betas will use this portal as well. Signing up for Connect now will certainly not help or hurt your chances of getting into Longhorn's beta program at all though.