Windows Vista Beta 1

naw its actually quite normal. no nforce nic has worked since early longhorn builds. you will need a pci card for it to work.

-cheers :D

586290763[/snapback]

Umm, I have managed to get the ethernet controller working on sn25p shuttle which is nf4. It's a bit cluncky, but it works - what I found i have to do is to diabale the adapter after boot, take out the cable, then enable the adapter, then plug the cable back, in that precise order - then it works.

The arrangement I am using is daisy chaining the vista box to another PC that's on a home LAN an dbridging the ethernet port to a homepna connection on the other (non-vista) box. On the non-vista box, the ethernet port is strangely reported as having no connection, so the whole thing is pretty screwed up, but it works so go figure...

The most surpriceing thing about this beta is that it's more compatible than Windows XP x64.

In x64 theres a lot of problem, and 50% of the software does not work properly - so far most software seems to work fine in Vista x32. I though Vista was supposed to be a completely new platform?

586289190[/snapback]

My impression is that this OS is little more than Xp with added features / functionality rather than an actually new core OS, so it's not surprising that XP apps and drivers work OK.

QUestion to Vista users - what's your DVD playback like. I installed PowerDVD and video playback is choppy. However, playing a high def WMV9 or DivX clip in MP10 is smooth. Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem.  What I did was this: Download the Ultra100 Windows Drivers, and extract the WinXP drivers (ultra.cat, ultra.sys, and ultra.inf) and put them on a floppy or burn them to a cdr.  Then boot from your Vista DVD (when I tried to install from XP I'd get the BSOD whenever it would restart the computer, so try booting from DVD instead).  Once you get to the setup screen that asks where you want to install Vista, look for the load driver button and click it.  This is when you'll pop in your floppy or cdr that has the promise drivers on it.  It'll then search for them and once it finds them it'll install them and then show your drives and let you select where to install the OS.

586291181[/snapback]

I've been trying to get my access setup for the betanews groups without success, and I've been having problems getting my SATA driver loading during setup. This is exactly the infomation I was looking for. I'll be able to translate what you did for your controller to mine. Neowin does come up with the goods at times!! :)

post-105261-1122631238.jpg

i can go on sites but cant use apps that require internet access like msn messenger, my connection only sends packets and doesnt receive any, can sum 1 help me plz :(

586291105[/snapback]

I also have that exact problem :cry: no idea whats wrong as everything is fine in XP and as far as i can tell is setup the same

i ve a problem with this beta...

it use 50% of my cpu:

5024hf.jpg

and i can't close that porcess....

(sorry for my bad english)

586290831[/snapback]

anyone?? :blush:

How do I get transparent lock at the edges?

586291701[/snapback]

You have to have the LDDM driver for your graphics card... or you can download TweakVista by going to www.tweakvista.com ;)

Did anyone have any driver related issues with an ATI Radeon 9600, or a Creative Labs Sound Blaster live 5.1. It looks like it isn't seeing the hardware or when the install tries to install the driver it says it can't find the appropriate hardware. I checked the IRQ settings on an off chance but they were all good under XP. Also anyone having issues with Open GL or Direct X I tried a few games after trying some other apps and the graphics were choppy (Probably because of the driver issue for the Graphics Card)

You have to have the LDDM driver for your graphics card... or you can download TweakVista by going to www.tweakvista.com ;)

586291715[/snapback]

Okey, thanks.. I'll try TweakVista :)

So , what you are saying is that the transparent look has not been implemented in Windows Vista yet?

Okey, thanks.. I'll try TweakVista :)

So , what you are saying is that the transparent look has not been implemented in Windows Vista yet?

586291732[/snapback]

Just not for your graphics card

It has? Why doesn't I have the transparent look then?

586291742[/snapback]

Right now the only supported cards are from ATI (as far as I know), so by using TweakVista, it disables checking your video card for support (or the drivers at least).