Poll: What Windows XP is worse at compared to Windows 98?

XP is exponetially better than any win 9x os, as win2k is too. Ive had win2k adv.server up for almost 4000 hrs, not counting updates and proggie installs and xp up for almost 2800 hrs. I dare anyone to show me figures for a 9x os that even come close. 9x sux moosecxxk in comparison as far as reliability, which is the important thing in the real world. I havent seen a blue screen in almost 12 months now except for when I screwed up.

If anybody told me XP was crap i think i would punch them in the face. All of the problems i have seen users have with XP is nothing more than user stupidity. Sorry to sound rude but thats how it is :right:

XP is worse at being a crappy OS than 9x is. When you want a crappy OS, look no further than 9x. ME wins hands down in that department.

Originally posted by DigitalDJ

XP is great for n00bs..easy to use, stable and looks goood

but there are driver probs..if MS were smart y didnt they make it so Win9x drivers would work wit XP!?!?

i herd it does have some security glitches to but hope to be fixed in SP1 ;)

why would MS even TRY to make drivers for one kernel compatible with another?

My god! XP is way better than 98. It hardly ever crashes, its driver library is vast, it boots faster (usually) and it hardly ever crashes (already said that!).

The one thing XP is worse than 98 at is system recovery. If you can't get into the gui, the console is not really useful in some cases, that is if the drive is NTFS formatted. If its FAT32, its usually a piece of cake.

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

My god! XP is way better than 98. It hardly ever crashes, its driver library is vast, it boots faster (usually) and it hardly ever crashes (already said that!).

The one thing XP is worse than 98 at is system recovery. If you can't get into the gui, the console is not really useful in some cases, that is if the drive is NTFS formatted. If its FAT32, its usually a piece of cake.

Well said man. I have to agree with ya about the recovery console tho. It sux :p

Originally posted by Chris123NT

Well said man. I have to agree with ya about the recovery console tho. It sux :p

yeah, i would much rather use dos/win9x boot diskettes but i really like ntfs as well. :ermm:

I've been using practicly every version of windows since 3.1, and i can say that xp is so much better than anything before it. i never hae had a problem with xp yet, and i've been running it for a little over a month, where as i've used 98 and ME and have had constant problems and constant crashes, xp fixed all that. now with the wpa, why is that a good thing? do you really think that microsoft should be charging hundreds of dollars for an os for people who can't afford to be spending hundreds every few years? i downloaded my version, and installed the corp files, and it totally bypassed the activation. i don't like the wpa, and i think that microsoft is stupid for adding it in there.

Originally posted by DarkJedi

i don't like the wpa, and i think that microsoft is stupid for adding it in there.

please explain how them attempting to stop lowlifes from stealing the software they spent a year developing and have a right to SELL a bad thing,people seem to forget that Microsft is a business and not some not-for-profit charity,they have a right to make money off the software they have to pay employees to design and implement, stealing their software because you bought last years model and don't want to pay for the new one is about as justified as stealing a new car off the lot because you don't think you should have to pay for the 2002 model,it's asinine to try and act like your cause is noble,you're a f.ucking theif

Well I don't think Win 98 has anything better than XP.

Even though some stuff isn't compatible, it isn't XP's fault, it's that the stuff is outdated. Like my printer, scanner and Microsoft Phone. But XP's stability, performance and looks make up for any thing I had to give up, thats for sure.

Only one thing I dont like about XP that 98 didnt do. I have my taskbar on autohide. When I have an instant message minimized, and someone says something, the bar pops up and starts flashing. I liked it better in 98 when it stayed down. But oh well, I'm used to it now.

windows xp SUX ALOT for drivers

my printer driver on xp really sux, it takes about 10 min to print a page on xp (black ink) while on 98 its done in a few seconds :(

Originally posted by Silvorgold

my printer driver on xp really sux, it takes about 10 min to print a page on xp (black ink) while on 98 its done in a few seconds :(

thats a driver manufacturer fault, not xp

Originally posted by Silvorgold

what printer model you have?

the only probs you will have is with prehistoric models like 285years old. today, a good printer is $50, that's few beers in a night club.

yeah, i'm a thief, but who cares? the only reason i do it is because i can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on software, when i can either download a crack for it (or download it completely), or just get it from a friend. i don't believe in spending all that money, just to pay more a few months later when they decide to release a service pack or a patch. that's what i have to say, and if you don't like it, well who cares. and by the way, don't mess with the dark side of the force.

yeah, i'm a thief, but who cares? the only reason i do it is because i can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on software, when i can either download a crack for it (or download it completely), or just get it from a friend. i don't believe in spending all that money, just to pay more a few months later when they decide to release a service pack or a patch. that's what i have to say, and if you don't like it, well who cares. and by the way, don't mess with the dark side of the force.

LOL well said man. I'm with ya on that one ;)

the fact that YOU don't care is the saddest part of the whole issue, you're a common theif and you're proud of it,how would you feel if it was you're product and you depended on it to feed your family and people where stealing it just because they don't want to pay for it, do you realize how insane that sounds?

another thing,service packs don't cost anything and neither do patches.

Originally posted by J t R

the fact that YOU don't care is the saddest part of the whole issue, you're a common theif and you're proud of it,how would you feel if it was you're product and you depended on it to feed your family and people where stealing it just because they don't want to pay for it, do you realize how insane that sounds?

another thing,service packs don't cost anything and neither do patches.

I know this is an overused argument, but the fact remains: Assuming he does not have the money to purchase the software (which wouldn't suprise me, a full version of XP Pro retails at a few hundred dollars, which translates into a full week of my life), and assuming that he does not use Microsoft support, or distribute it to anyone else who *can* afford to purchase it, he's not costing microsoft anything.

It is simply FOOBAR that Microsoft charges such an outrageous price for software.

You can't afford to pay for software? BUT you did pay for your computer, your graphics card, your sound card, your monitor, your radio, your mouse, your keyboard, your scanner, your cellphone, your microphone, your camera, your chair because all of these cost money??? Or you stolled them from the store also?

Originally posted by Vlad

I know this is an overused argument, but the fact remains: Assuming he does not have the money to purchase the software (which wouldn't suprise me, a full version of XP Pro retails at a few hundred dollars, which translates into a full week of my life), and assuming that he does not use Microsoft support, or distribute it to anyone else who *can* afford to purchase it, he's not costing microsoft anything.

It is simply FOOBAR that Microsoft charges such an outrageous price for software.

So use win98 for your needs. nobody is forcing you to upgrade. Just because you can drive a Honda instead of a BMW, it doesnt mean you will steal a car just to drive it, because you like it better.