Anti-MS Group Aims to Block Vista

Hmm, on the one hand, it is impossible to ship a perfect piece of software. There are just too many hardware permuations out there to test, and there's obviously no way to test the software on future hardware. On the other hand, though, shipping the product with known bugs and just getting around to fixing them later is unacceptable. I'm not sure much can come out of this lawsuit, but if it can get the issue into the limelight, then that might be good enough to get the public's attention on this issue.

Probably the most obvious person in the world who's never tried writing code, complete joke. As for this "perfect OS" theory, it's a nice dream, but have you every written a fourty million line book with no spelling/grammar mistakes, now try doing that with code, where every character has to be in the right place and exactly the right word with a completely researched reason for every single line.

It'd take more than my lifetime to write an OS without bugs in.

Hmm, on the one hand, it is impossible to ship a perfect piece of software. There are just too many hardware permuations out there to test, and there's obviously no way to test the software on future hardware. On the other hand, though, shipping the product with known bugs and just getting around to fixing them later is unacceptable. I'm not sure much can come out of this lawsuit, but if it can get the issue into the limelight, then that might be good enough to get the public's attention on this issue.

586352042[/snapback]

How many times has "Tiger" been updated since release? That was shipped with known bugs.

Martin is a public interest lawyer from Chicago who has worked on several consumer rights cases, including antitrust lawsuits dealing with network television affliation agreements in 1969 and his own antitrust effort against Microsoft in 1998.

I think this old-timer (not that i have anything against old people) either needs to get back to the present, or end his time.

The only reason why Microsoft Security fixes get a lot of attention is because of the fact that it is the most used os in the world. If you pay attention to Mac os updates, you see many problems fixed as well, its just that Mac is a low-profile/least used OS. Linux as well, hmm... i wonder why there are many kenel updates? no S**T, every os is defective, only the most used one gets attention

This guy doesn't know a thign about software. It all has bugs.

He's politican not a software engineer. Either way he doesn't have my vote.

Here's the comparison table:

Open source calls it: alpha testing Microsoft calls it: 1.0 Google calls it: shhhh ... top secret. Apple calls it: unsubstantiated rumors

Open source calls it: beta testing Microsoft calls it: 2.0 Google calls it: beta testing Apple calls it: rumors with possibly some substance to them

Open source calls it: release candidate Microsoft calls it: 3.0 Google calls it: beta testing Apple calls it: copies are circulated to the usual suspects, who eagerly publish reviews describing it as the "most innovating product yet!"

Open source calls it: 1.0 Microsoft calls it: varies. Previous names have included 3.1, 95, 98, 4.0, 5.0 or X. Google calls it: beta testing Apple calls it: released to the market place, Steve Jobs goes on record to say that it is "insanely great".

Open source calls it: 2.0 Microsoft calls it: SP1,2,3... Google calls it: beta testing Apple calls it: a recall

they do give that warranty.... and when something breaks under that warranty they just fix it... kinda like a warranty on your car, or cell phone, or whatever. this guy must live in heaven, and drink ambrosia.... either that or he is an unbelieveable programmer... or maybe he is just a tool who thinks the world owes him.

edit...

good lord... he's a republican. im ashamed. i guess there are total jackasses representing every party though.

The bloke sounds incredibly stupid so I doubt there's a real threat of him actually getting the power to block Vista or any other software; surely it can't be that difficult to see that no one can build software that is completely free from reverse-engineering by those with cruel intentions.

I'm assuming by his complaint that he would rather have his copy of Windows left alone and unpatched so that it's fully ready for any oncoming attack, seeing as he's so against Microsoft actually helping the consumer by patching security vulnerabilities as they become known.

im sad that this idiot is from illinois. I guess im just gonna have to vote for the other guy, but nothing new to me since i never vote republican. Greedy and money hungry politcians, especially republicans.

Bug free impossible, but he has the right idea. Honestly, the arguement that microsoft has such a large user base and hence is targeted more is bogus. Microsoft's market share also gives it enormous revenues and the responsibility (and resources) of fighting the bugs that comes with it.

Bug free impossible, but he has the right idea.  Honestly, the arguement that microsoft has such a large user base and hence is targeted more is bogus.  Microsoft's market share also gives it enormous revenues and the responsibility (and resources) of fighting the bugs that comes with it.

586352187[/snapback]

bro. they do fight the bugs. thats why we have windows update, service packs, hotfixes, etc. seriously though there is no fix for people who dont know what they are doing and leave their machines open to attack.

The problem isn't totally microsoft's fault. When more people become smarter in the ways of hacking, microsoft has to release a patch to stay ahead of the idiot hackers. There may be issues that aren't a problem until someone exploits them.

and when something breaks under that warranty they just fix it... kinda like a warranty on your car, or cell phone, or whatever.

But you car does not ship with them knowing one door does not lock. Your cell phone does not ship with them knowing the 8 key does not work. It is one thing to have a product break, it is another to have one ship broken. That is his arguement. MS ships broken products.

I know other venders do too, but Windows has been inherently flawed since 95 and nothing has been done to fix it. Every product since Win95 has shipping knowing there were security problems. GM does not ship cars with known engine problems.

"It is unacceptable corporate behavior. Over four years after Windows XP was released I still receive regular 'updates' and 'bug fixes,' which reflect a product that was originally scandalously defective."

586351956[/snapback]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Listen to the non-developer talking. :rofl:

And it sure shows... :rolleyes:

What OS is his favorite one... One where no security fixes need to be made for...?

OS X? Nope. Linux? Nope. Hmm, maybe BeOS because it's pretty much abandoned. :p

WHAT THE ****?

hes fighting microsoft.. for an agreement, the software will be free of bugs....

this is so dumb...

bro.  they do fight the bugs.  thats why we have windows update, service packs, hotfixes, etc.  seriously though there is no fix for people who dont know what they are doing and leave their machines open to attack.

586352208[/snapback]

True, and Microsoft is generally good with issuing patches. Regardless, I still think they could code a lot better and need to get patch distribution out even better. The number of patches is really quite staggering, especially of critical security level. When MS has 95% market share and is sitting on over $30 billion in spare cash, it should be doing more.

Listen to the non-developer talking

No other industry gets away with shipping defective products, why should the software industry. Is this not what everyone fusses about when Dice and EA release a buggy BF2? Why should software makers not be held accountable. Is it because it is complex? How about making a car? Or designing a CPU? Those products are not allowed to be shipped defective.

OMG, strange people craving the limelight, if someone had an OS with no bugs in it, or if its creation was that simple of simply working harder, i'm sure it would have been done quite a while ago.

And anyways, only my OS is 100% secure and here's the download link....Brokedified linkage

OMG, strange people craving the limelight, if someone had an OS with no bugs in it, or if its creation was that simple of simply working harder, i'm sure it would have been done quite a while ago.

How many bugs do you think XP shipped with.... well, it was over 100,000. That's right, and quick googling showed XP shipped with over 100,000 known bugs. I am not going to repeat my car analogy... read the thread, I welcome a reply.