Anti-MS Group Aims to Block Vista

Even if Microsoft released a perfect bug-free OS at the time of its release, as long as there's people out there wanting to exploit Windows, they will do, it just takes time. Hackers are constantly evolving, and for Microsoft it's a constant battle against them.

This guy CLEARLY has no idea what he's talking about.

Microsoft does ship windows with a some irritating bugs. Some go back to the 95/98 days. Most of them don't disrupt normal operation but some are annoying. One I can think of right now is that cancelled print jobs don't cancel when there's a paper jam so then other documents can't print. It still occurs on xp sp2.

I really wished microsoft would come with a better bug reporting/feedback system. There should be a icon on the start menu that says report bugs/feedback where you can report bugs to microsoft.

The guy is just an attention ######. I'm not sure he actually believes what he says.

Maybe he's working with Jack Thompson :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :p

Seriously though, these people need to educate themselves before they start doing stupid crap like this and ruining their reputation.

OMG. A freakin lawyer who thinks software should be perfect and bug free. I would like that to but its idealistic only. Someone should tell him to shut all the courts down in the justice system because they have flaws that need fixed also.

At least MS patches are FREE.

How do you feel about companies that ship code with bugs and then CHARGE you for fixes??

Now THAT I would encourage suing, that is wrong.

Hahahahaha this guy has to be retard, This should be posted on the Jokes section, Who the hell is this person? he might be a lawyer but he knows about Computers, Software and Technology the same I know about about building airplanes. This has to be the dumbest attempt this year in lawsuits.

As someone who has written buggy code, there's always something you miss when you're developing. There's no way to make a *perfect* OS. Someone give this guy a class in coding so he can understand how hard it is.

And the software/car comparison doesn't make any sense. Car parts can be related to computer hardware, not software.

How many bugs do you think XP shipped with.... well, it was over 100,000. That's right, and quick googling showed XP shipped with over 100,000 known bugs. I am not going to repeat my car analogy... read the thread, I welcome a reply.

586352305[/snapback]

the new mitsubishi eclipse shipped to dealers and had a recall announced 2 weeks later for a problem with the brakes. you cant tell me that they didnt know about the problem before hand, but it's cheaper to have the problem fixed at the dealer than to recall the car back to the factory to have the problem fixed. welcome to corporate america buddy. they do whatever is cheapest. at least when MS finds a bug, they fix it... unlike our buddies at ford and their awesome vehicle called the pinto.

As someone who has written buggy code, there's always something you miss when you're developing. There's no way to make a *perfect* OS. Someone give this guy a class in coding so he can understand how hard it is.

And the software/car comparison doesn't make any sense. Car parts can be related to computer hardware, not software.

586352512[/snapback]

I agree, developing computer software can not be compared with making Cars (Also, as the above poster mentioned Cars have known to be recalled). Computer hardware can be compared but not computer software.

IMHO, anyone who has not developed software can not understand the complexity and frustration of developing something intangible.

I reall dislike people who just hate microsoft.. just because they want something to hate. microsoft do the job better than anybody else.

586352243[/snapback]

Not at everything.

Customer support "help" lines cost ?30 -- even con-men don't charge that much!

:pp :rolleyes:: :no::

Finally.

pffft. Release a product with over 10.000 KNOWN bugs and pretend that its raining.

Good job ms.

Lets guess how many bugs (known to ms) will be shipped with Vista. 40.000? 60.000? 80.000?

Craptastic.

developing computer software can not be compared with making Cars

No? What about the software that runs the engine and all the sensors in your car. I bet that is pretty f**king tight code. Problems with the engine are normally related to hardware, even if it is a fried EPROM.

I believe software can be perfect but only when used in a controlled predictable enviroment. How often do those robots break down that weld the cars together? I bet it is not very often and rarely becuase of the software.

Microsoft do a good job and we all complain about how long it's taking to release and then moan when it's not 100% secure.

P.S. If MS invited more people to the Beta 1 they might get more feedback. No invite for me :no: :(

Edited by Ruffneckting

This guy rocks. I hope he is successful. Bill Gates should give away the freakin OS . Greedysoft doesn't need any more $$.

586352008[/snapback]

greedysoft... dude... ITS A COMPANY! COMPANYS TRY TO MAKE MONEY. there is nothing wrong with it, gates donates millions of dollars every year to charity, how excatly does that makew them greedy, not eveyting in the world is going to be free and if you have to get off your lazy ass and work for something it wont be then end of the world :blink:

damn dude this is retarded, i an apple guy and hate windows but really, they have the right to release their os and if it has bugs oh well. i wish they could fix a lot of them when it does release but a guarentee like that is impossible to adhear to. but id expect this from a republican so doesnt surprise me, heh just joking!

But you car does not ship with them knowing one door does not lock. Your cell phone does not ship with them knowing the 8 key does not work. It is one thing to have a product break, it is another to have one ship broken. That is his arguement. MS ships broken products.

I know other venders do too, but Windows has been inherently flawed since 95 and nothing has been done to fix it. Every product since Win95 has shipping knowing there were security problems. GM does not ship cars with known engine problems.

586352213[/snapback]

Shipping a car is nothing like shipping an OS. You can't just change the seats/engine/etc and expect it to work all the time. That's why there aren't that many aftermarket parts. Also, with car parts, there is liability involved too, just because your desktop OS crashes, no one will die, however if that axle on your car does, you'll probably get hurt pretty badly. HOWEVER, you don't see people buying cars and getting aftermarket axles all over the country do you? A car is NOTHING like an OS. A car is built around it's chassis (simple, not changeable), an OS is built around all the damn crap in the world (it supports just about every damn little thing out there), it's insane. Plus car development has had more history. Over a hundred years. Building an OS, how many? 30? That's nothing.

No other industry gets away with shipping defective products, why should the software industry. Is this not what everyone fusses about when Dice and EA release a buggy BF2? Why should software makers not be held accountable. Is it because it is complex? How about making a car? Or designing a CPU? Those products are not allowed to be shipped defective.

586352260[/snapback]

Building and designing a car is not complex. You just use the existing technology and built around it, you don't have to consider future technology for that one car in development. Same as a CPU, software is built around it to run commands on it, not the other way around, so the CPU will work, just depending on how well you program. Oh and Intel just recalled some processors too. Software is inherently more complex than almost anything else. Even cars today come with fatal unknown defects, depending on the car you get. Plus lets say your one month old transmission goes out one day and you have to replace it, was it a defect? or did you just run the car too hard? :pinch:

How many bugs do you think XP shipped with.... well, it was over 100,000. That's right, and quick googling showed XP shipped with over 100,000 known bugs. I am not going to repeat my car analogy... read the thread, I welcome a reply.

586352305[/snapback]

Have you seen the amount of OSX revisions and previous OS9, etc, revisions? There are just as many, if not more than Windows ones.

Not to mention, an automobile will only get recalled if the company can reasonably expect that enough people will get injured or killed that lawsuits would outweigh the cost of recalling the vehicles. No one dies because Microsoft didn't feel like patching a vulnerability.

Apparently this isn't his first time. :laugh:

This is from an article in The Register back in December 1999:

Crazed Microsoft antagonist runs for President

Andy Martin, who first came to some modest attention in IT circles when he founded a pressure group five years ago called the Committee to Fight Microsoft Corporation, is campaigning in New Hampshire to become the Republican party candidate for US President next year. He's a Florida-based public interest lawyer, legal activist and the self-dubbed "first consumer activist of cyberspace". Yesterday he released a proposed statute to protect privacy, which he claimed was in response to a Washington Post article drawing attention to how telemarketers could obtain telephone information from blocked and unlisted telephone numbers.

Martin favours the breakup of Microsoft and the banning of contracts between the divested enterprises. Despite Martin's frequent press releases, his CTFM has been shunned. Martin announced that he had mailed consumer fraud charges against Microsoft to all 50 state attorney generals, because Windows 95 did not work with 4Mb of RAM, as Microsoft had claimed, but it is unlikely that this affected the decision of 20 of them to join the DoJ in its action against Microsoft. Martin protested outside a New York store selling Windows 95 when it was released, which apparently resulted in the police controlling a crowd that formed.

He was invited to appear on the CNBC television programme America's Talking that evening, but at the very last moment, when Martin was at the studios, he was told that the program segment was cancelled. Microsoft has a business relationship with NBC. An infuriated Martin announced the burning of Gates and Windows 95 in effigy in Florida, a funeral for Windows 95, and a "Boycott Bill Gates for Christmas" campaign, adding that he was suing NBC Television, General Electric and Microsoft for $50 million. He also tried to promote a ban on Windows 98. Wags have suggested that CTFM was quietly funded by Microsoft to forestall any more serious opposition. ?

http://www2.theregister.co.uk/1999/12/22/c...ntagonist_runs/

Finally.

pffft. Release a product with over 10.000 KNOWN bugs and pretend that its raining.

Good job ms.

Lets guess how many bugs (known to ms) will be shipped with Vista. 40.000? 60.000? 80.000?

Craptastic.

586352687[/snapback]

Well, I could imagine Vista having 40 bugs, as you pointed out.

However, Vista probably will not have 40,000 bugs like you meant to say.

True, and Microsoft is generally good with issuing patches.  Regardless, I still think they could code a lot better and need to get patch distribution out even better.  The number of patches is really quite staggering, especially of critical security level.  When MS has 95% market share and is sitting on over $30 billion in spare cash, it should be doing more.

586352263[/snapback]

You realize cash doesn't solve everything, it still takes time. You try debugging 40 million lines of code, HAVE FUN.