Official NFL Season 2005 Thread

Hey guys,

just wanted to get a main thread started. who's been watching all the pre-season games and wants to clue me in on how everyone's doing?

the only game i've watched so far is this 49ers/raiders game. so far, alex smith looks like a joke (which i've been saying for a while...). however, tuiasosopo has looked pretty decent for the raiders.

Manning to Burress looks good early. Mike Cloud (Tiki Barber's backup) has looked FANTASTIC. And Brandon Jacobs absolutely plowed someone. The Giants' first team has looked good but the second and third-string guys have looked awful. Jesse Palmer should not be an NFL quarterback anymore. I'll happily take Hasselbeck as my backup.

O geez the friggin penalties! I think the Giants are up to 12 penalties. Hoping it's just rust. I though Coughlin was supposed to fix this :crazy: Then again Cleveland had three called against them on ONE play. I guess both teams are just rusty and jittery.

Edited by bigbluepride35

Well the Bears are in trouble. First round draft pick, Cedric Benson, who wasn't asked to do much if any pass blocking in college is holding out and hasn't even practiced. The team's already played two games and he might not make it in time for the third. He shaved his dreads off because he was tired of being compared to Ricky Williams and yet Ricky's been in Dolphins camp since it started and Benson hasn't. Oh yeah, QB of the future Rex Grossman had his ankle broken when a DE took him down in the 2nd quarter of last nights pre-season game. He looked pretty good in game one and would've been a huge indication of the future of this team had he stayed healthy all year long. We'll see how it goes though.

I watched the Denver vs. Houston game on Saturday. It was a pretty good game. The backup QB for the Texans (Banks) looked pretty good. And since I'm a huge Broncos fan I thought they had a lot of good areas. Denver's backup QB (Bradlee Van Pelt) looked really good and the Denver Defense looked nice considering they didn't play all the starters. I'm again looking forward to another season of football and can't wait for the regular season to begin. The race in the AFC West is going to be exciting to watch this year. I hope (Jake Plummer) will do better this year because I feel the Defense is going to be sweet and with both clicking the Broncos will go further. :)

I watched the Denver vs. Houston game on Saturday.  It was a pretty good game.  The backup QB for the Texans (Banks) looked pretty good.  And since I'm a huge Broncos fan I thought they had a lot of good areas.  Denver's backup QB (Bradlee Van Pelt) looked really good and the Denver Defense looked nice considering they didn't play all the starters.  I'm again looking forward to another season of football and can't wait for the regular season to begin.  The race in the AFC West is going to be exciting to watch this year. I hope (Jake Plummer) will do better this year because I feel the Defense is going to be sweet and with both clicking the Broncos will go further. :)

586379768[/snapback]

Did Rice play? If so, how did he look?

The only game I have seen so far was the Dolphins and Bears. I don't know why, but I found A.J. Feely getting injured on one of the first few plays was funny as hell. Tonight I shall be watching the Eagles and Steelers. I want to see if they play rookie receiver Reggie Brown and QB Andy Hall.

And when is the Neowin Fantasy Football and Pick'Em going to start?! I have two drafts for fantasy football for other leagues I am participating in. And if Boog doesn't want to run the Yahoo Pick'ems alongside the Neowin Pick'ems I can start a league for those who want to check and make sure they have the correct amount of points for the games they picked.

Edited by jmole

Did Rice play? If so, how did he look?

586379866[/snapback]

Rice caught 1 pass for a few yards and dropped one in the endzone. He really didn't get any playing time. And they had him in with the second stringers.

I agree with jmole, let's get the football pick'ems going. :)

The Steelers-Eagles game should be interesting since both Hines Ward and TO are out. It'll be interesting to see how McNabb and Big Ben deal with the rest of their WRs.

Does anyone know for sure if a holdout gets paid? It wouldn't make sense but then again nothing in sports economics does. What I want to know is if the Eagles never flinch and TO doesn't either. If he holds out all season of a couple regular season games does he get paid for those?

Also, I'd be interested in the pick-em thing too. Is it just a pick the winner kind of game? I Find that if I get into too many fantasy leagues all my teams suffer so I've already joined my own maximum of two leagues.

As a hardcore Steelers fan, I'm anxious for tonights game. I really hope Hines Ward is paid the salary he requested, because as he said - he is as good as the big time players and deserves to be paid like them. Is that selfish? Maybe...but it's fair either way. I still think that Pittsburgh will come out on top of the Eagles. Although as you'll notice, TO isn't as big of an asset to the Eagles as many people think, so I expect a fairly good game. Does anybody know if the Steelers still have Willie Parker? I could have sworn I saw him playing with another team the other day, but I might've, and I hope that I was seeing things.

Also, I'd be interested in the pick-em thing too. Is it just a pick the winner kind of game? I Find that if I get into too many fantasy leagues all my teams suffer so I've already joined my own maximum of two leagues.

586380794[/snapback]

There is the Neowin pick'em where everyone picks their predictions for the outcomes of the games for the week. We had attempted to do Yahoo's pick'em along with it, but I don't think Boog liked doing it at the same time. Some of us used the Yahoo Pick'em to make sure we got the right amount of points each week on Neowin due to some human errors because there was a ton of people Boog had to calculate and a mistake was bound to be made. Nothing serious though, you just post if there was a mistake in the calculation of your week's score and it was fixed.

this is done by hand? i thought it was done through like yahoo or espn or something?

we need to get a pick em and fantasy thing setup. (i don't think we have yet...).

we'll make sticky threads when it's ready.

this is done by hand?  i thought it was done through like yahoo or espn or something?

586381148[/snapback]

We used to post them in a thread and boog or someone else would go thru all of the posts and figure out the winner was. I think boog switched over to the yahoo one to make it easier on everyone.

No, I don't think it was done by hand. I believe in one of his posts Boog said he entered everyone's picks into an Excel spreadsheet that did the calculations automatically. There were not many problems at all.

The yahoo picks thing was my ideal last year and we tried it for a week or two, but decided to abandon it. Some of us continued to use it to make sure our scores were calculated correctly on the Neowin thread. If Boog does not want to run the Yahoo Pick'em along with the Neowin Pick'Em, I can volunteer to setup a Yahoo Pick'em for those of us who want to make sure our scores are correct.

Does anyone know for sure if a holdout gets paid? It wouldn't make sense but then again nothing in sports economics does. What I want to know is if the Eagles never flinch and TO doesn't either. If he holds out all season of a couple regular season games does he get paid for those?

586380794[/snapback]

Holdouts don't get paid. That's why he showed up to camp because he "didn't wnat to be cheated further." So if he sat out the whole season he wouldn't get any salary. If they TELL him to sit I think they have to pay him but if he chooses to sit they don't. So yeah, if he wants his money he has to play.

Oh man the Eagles' special teams last night was so painful to watch. They really do deserve the title of "special".

All in all it was a pretty decent game. At least we got to see what the rookies can do and it turns out Reggie Brown as wide-reciever was not bad at all and Moates as a running back was good too.

I dont understand the eagles, they gave key players like McNabb a lot of play time. This is preseason, you dont risk players like that. Look at the steelers, their starters barely played and they still won.

I dont understand the eagles, they gave key players like McNabb a lot of play time. This is preseason, you dont risk players like that. Look at the steelers, their starters barely played and they still won.

586384839[/snapback]

I agree, I didn't think the starters should have been kept in that long either. It seemed like Andy Reid had the mentality that he was going to make them play until they did something right.
Look at the steelers, their starters barely played and they still won.
That I don't really agree with. I don't care at all that the Eagles lost, they pretty much lose all their pre-season games every year, but the Steelers won due to the large part of stupid Eagle mistakes at the beginning of the game. They practicall handed them touchdowns with the interception and runbacks for touchdowns. The special teams on the Eagles sucked big time. At least they did it now and not for a game that counts. Edited by jmole

count me in as another person who was shocked to see eagles starters play so much. we've already seen what can happen when something goes wrong...

count me in as another person who was shocked to see eagles starters play so much.  we've already seen what can happen when something goes wrong...

586385203[/snapback]

Koy Detmer is what happens, KOY DETMER. Let that be a warning for the rest of the teams.

Koy Detmer is what happens, KOY DETMER.  Let that be a warning for the rest of the teams.

586385205[/snapback]

Forget Koy Detmer, how about Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton and Jeff Black. JEFF BLAKE!!

I think one of the reasons for McNabb and Co to play so long is without TO they don't have any recievers worth much of anything. TO took away so much of the pressure from the other recievers and was still able to produce that made the offensice part easy for the Eagles.

I'm tired of hearing about TO griping about outplaying his contract last year because had he not performed I highly, HIGHLY, doubt he would have offered to give money back. The fact of the matter is the Eagles saved TO. His agent forgot to file the proper paperwork with the league and he was set to be a 49er again, then was set to be traded to the Ravens but he didn't want to go to Baltimore so the Eagles who needed him worked it out to get him then when they didn't need to, signed him to a 7 year deal that paid him $7mil per season and makes him the third highest paid WR behind Moss and Harrison. TO doesn't make it to the SuperBowl on his own and in fact the Eagles got just as far last season as they had in any previous season without TO. Shut up and play.

Guess who's going to see to their first live football game this Saturday night? I don't care that it's pre-season I'm still pumped as hell. Got a free pair of tickets to the Giants-Panthers game. O yeah :yes:

damn, it's sad, but i've never been to a pro football game before. or hockey for that matter. sounds like fun bro. my buddy and i are gonna hit up a chargers game this year, should be sweet.

That's pretty cool. I only made it to one game at Soldier Field before the renovation. My favorite part was anyime there was a time out the Public Address announcer would say "There's a Time Out" and the entire stadium would yell "Where?" and he'd respond "On the Field." Funnier when you're there but it's things like that that make live sporting events an awesome experience. Have fun.