CNN hit by worm

They seemed to have fixed it; the bottom ticker is back!

586387465[/snapback]

NOOO!!

That worm actually did some good damage by removing it. :p

Apparently they will eventually suffer the dire consequences of not listening to Microsoft. :rolleyes:  :sleep:

586387456[/snapback]

Listening to Microsoft? MS isn't forcing them to upgrade as the OS is still supported. The patch was released about a week ago so it's simply the fault of them not installing the patch and has nothing to do with them not upgrading to XP.

I believe this one was another self propogating worm. Looks at like 3 different ports and can install itself from another infected machine. It sets up an ftp server and randomly looks for open hosts on a subnet of 255.255.0.0. As an example, if the host is 10.1.1.5 it randomly looks at 10.1.1.6 or 10.1.3.4. It generates the last two octets. So it sounds as if a firewall/ or machine firewalls are setup properly this would have no effect.

Yeah read the above sarc link. :) Thats a different variant than what I read about earlier. I was looking at a and b.

It will propogate on all windows systems but only has a payload on 2000/XP.

They were recently showing footage of inside CNN HQ of employee's computers, showing the windows startup and continuous shutdown dialogues and the employees getting mad. Hilarious!

"Microsoft has said that this worm is 'low impact'... I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. *sarcastic " -Paula Zahn

/me will pay to see more video of this  :happy: lol

586387679[/snapback]

Yes please someone post a direct link. Thanks.

Incorrect.? This worm does not affect XP at all.

586387662[/snapback]

W32.Zotob.E> is a worm that opens a back door and exploits the Microsoft Windows Plug and Play Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-039) on TCP port 445.

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

WORM_RBOT.CBQ> This memory-resident worm drops a copy of itself in the Windows system folder as the file WINTBP.EXE.

It takes advantage of the Microsoft Windows Plug and Play vulnerability to propagate across networks. For more information regarding this vulnerability, refer to the following Microsoft Web page:

Systems Affected: Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP

:laugh: CNN, ABC, Catepillar co., New York Times, all affected...

I hope no one is using windows for life support... :rolleyes: and that their hospital admin have not put the critical computers on the network with other machines with internet access. That would suck!

Systems Affected:  Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

586387686[/snapback]

They're wrong. The vulnerability exists in XP and 2003, but those OSes do not allow anonymous remote access to the service, so the worm can't do it's work.

I was under the impression it only affected XP Service Pack 1, Windows 2000, and Windows 98. XP Service Pack 2 would not be affected.

That is quite funny though CNN uses Trend and Trend was the one notifying of the PC community of the problem. Way to stay on top of the ball CNN :p