Pentium or AMD?

Okay, Im realllllly decisive here on wheather I want an AMD, or a Pentium4.. Pentium has always been the first to get higher chip speeds, and has been around for 30 + years.. AMD has been around for 2-3 years, and has always been behind... Not saying they're bad, I use a Duron 1.2, and yet its JUST below my benchs on my P4 1.5..

But, with these insanely high bus speeds coming up, 800 Mhz FSB, vs the 266 bus, cmon.. Thats an INSANE difference there...

Pentiums can be easily overclocked as well from what I hear.. the 1.6a reaching 2.9 with water cooling.. 2.7 with Volcano 7+.. 2.4 with Stock coolers.. Cmon, its crazy.. I mean, I have 2 AMD computers and 2 Pentium computers..

AMD k6-2 533mhz

AMD k7 Duron 1200mhz

Pentium 3 800mhz

Pentium 4 1500mhz

I really love AMD, and yet I really love intel.. The prices may be a little higher, but in actuality, you get what you paid for, and you get higher frequencys.. Can I get some opinions here on whether what I should buy?

i just upgraded to a xp2000+ and im happy with it :D

i've been an intel lad for a while, but i've taken a likeing to amd. when ur building ur own pc, amd can be a bit cheaper. but intel prices are coming down.

Originally posted by Yoursexyheroux

Go with an AMD !!

Dude you really can't compare a P4 and a duron it is just not right

now you can since the P4 are faster than the AMD processors

Originally posted by DaKiLLa

now you can since the P4 are faster than the AMD processors

i think he meant u cant compare a duron to a p4.

Personally, I'd suggest AMD because they are cheaper and offer more bang for your buck.

Mods: Close this thread to avoid another AMD/Intel flamewar...

oh and AMD has been out for maybe 10yrs, not 2 to 3yrs like you thought. Anyways, i got a 1800+ and it does the job for me. If you want some more opinions there are tons of "AMD vs Intel" threads on here. They point out the bad and the good of both processors but the most you'll hear about the AMD is the heat issue which isn't a problem in the Athlon XP and it'll be further diminished in the newer T-bred core (@ .13microns) so they'll run just as cool but to me AMD does more work than the P4 at the same speed or even price for that matter.

Alot of people say benchmarks don't matter but Sysmark and 3Dmark2001 are benchmarks and they matter.

Sysmark uses normal programs (MS Office 2000 is normal) to measure how fast the processor can handle the instructions it's sends.

3DMark2001 SE runs faster on a AMD 1.53ghz than a P4 1.6Ghz wiht the same hardrive, video card and same everything except mothboard and processor.

Compare 7000 on a AMD 3Dmarks with 6600 on a P4 @ 1.6Ghz.

Clawhammer is a good chip though not much will be optimized for it right away. If you want to use linux go right ahead and get it. They always first to get support out for new stuff.

compare a celeron to a duron

compare a p4 to an athlon

if your a power user, youd go with AMD

if your a little schoolboy who takes a lunch box of grapes to school, you'll go with intel.

:) ... jk, i have the AMD XP 2000+ and its GREAT!

yeah... amd has been out for a long long time. they have just been a shadow making intel-compatibles until the k6 created a little competition and the k7 changed the story. id still go intel. tbred generates too much heat/mm to make me comfortable. the die shrinkage only makes it cheaper for amd and worse off for us... intel doesn't take a step as big as amd to reduce cost. besides intel just stopped making the 1.6a because they claim they want to move on. while true, its also because its too damn o/cable.

whoa.. someone hold the ****ing phone!!! I don't believe i read this right....

Not saying they're bad, I use a Duron 1.2, and yet its JUST below my benchs on my P4 1.5..

are you ****ing kiddin me? I always knew AMDs were good but DAMN!!!

hehe

PS - oh and just so you know the P4 is still on the 100mhz FSB. The memory is 800Mhz (RDRAM that is) and not the CPU. The FSB on the CPU is quoted to be 400mhz but it's really not, It's only quad pumped but i guess you can say the samething about DDR but i don't know the tech stuff about em well enough to say for sure....

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

whoa.. someone hold the ****ing phone!!! I don't believe i read this right....

are you ****ing kiddin me? I always knew AMDs were good but DAMN!!!

hehe

PS - oh and just so you know the P4 is still on the 100mhz FSB. The memory is 800Mhz (RDRAM that is) and not the CPU. The FSB on the CPU is quoted to be 400mhz but it's really not, It's only quad pumped but i guess you can say the samething about DDR but i don't know the tech stuff about em well enough to say for sure....

now its 133mhz (133x4=533). but thing is so is athlon (133x2=266:()

however duron (100x2=200)!!

still get a 1.6a (16x100=1600) and run at 2.13g(16x133=2133)

P4 on 100mhz!!!! Ya they used to be now their new stuff is running on 133 FSB. A demo 2.8 is blowing the doors off a AMD 2200+ but oh well bound to happen. If AMD spent more time building stuff then bragging how they got another chip on the market they might actually get something done. Can you see a 3DFX repeat LOL. I have a AMD 2200+ and a intel 2.53 and the AMD sucks. The intel blows its doors off everytime. Oh well thats my two cents.:D

Originally posted by hobsgrg

AMD are much better, my athlon XP 1700+ beats a 2GHz p4 in quite a few benchmarks

almost wholy because intel moved to a 20pipeline, which explains why intel beats amd in some other places.

Originally posted by hobsgrg

AMD are much better, my athlon XP 1700+ beats a 2GHz p4 in quite a few benchmarks

where do these people come from?

Originally posted by freeza

where do these people come from?

rofl. each time i close this window, i get an email saying that a reply has been posted. iv been looping 4 times already :D