Pentium or AMD?

Me personally I have both highend machines. I have a AMD 2100 and a Intel 2.53. Well lets just say the AMD was the biggest waste of money. The machine always runs hotter then intel, intel I have it overclocked to 2900 mhz it just kills my AMD even when its not overclocked. I hate AMD I gave the damn thing to the wife and all she says its not as fast playing games and crap oh well Thats just me, everyone has their own opinon. As for AMD I will never buy one again!

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

lmao tom's hardware already got their asses busted from that "video" where the heatsink falls off a thunderbird that got proven to be a joke. Tom's got his head up Intel's ass anyways and an Intel Inside tattoo over his ######. You never ****in see him say anything postive about amd and every single benchmark he's ever done has them always beating amd. "ooh we managed to dig out this old intel 486 dx 33mhz system and guess what? We pit it against an athlon xp 2200 and it won!"

LOL SOOOOOO True! I sware intel pays off tomshardware cuz i did my own benchmarks on my own athlon XP 2000+ and it was whoopin the P4 2.4 GHZ and fell just shy of the 2.53!! Nice try tom but u can't trick me :)

Thanks for the link.. I understand it a little more in detail, but it doesnt tell about the others like L2 , L3, etc.

Btw, what will be the next owning processor?

Clawhammer/Sledgehammer

or Prescott?

I beleive Prescott will be.. I've barely read anyhting on the new chips.. all I know is that Prescott will have a 200 quad pumped bus (800 mhz bus) and like a 1mb cache.. I hope it doesnt require much voltage.. XTREME OVERCLOCKING BABY!

I have a dual 1800+ amd.. i love it.. i have many other computers.. all amd.. they all beat there comparitive Intel counterparts.. what i mean is same freq.. equals a no no for intel.

Money was not an issue with more. But i still went for AMD. WHy? because i belive that supporting AMD will keep the competition running and having intel keep on pumping out faster cpus. Tell me. If there was no competition agianst intel or maybe agianst AMD. would they release new cpu's? We would still be stuck at around 533mhz which is i think about the time intel got some seriers competiton. please forgive me with spelling. i want to sleep yet i can't pass up the oppurtunity to throw in my opionion. btw... the next batch of systems i build will be Intel. Why? because its fun. Its not really about wow i can run Quake 3 2fps or even 10fps faster. Its about how i actully fragged you. Its not that i can complete a Seti@home work unit in 3hours. Its that i can have Seti@home dedicated.

I remember when i used to put down intel at every change i could get. Its not possible anymore. When my friends ask me what they should get i ask them, what are they going to do with the system. I mean .. just simple stuff.. heck go for an iMac :p

But in all terms i would go with AMD currently. Maybe a 1800+ or something with 1 gig of ram. GeForce4 4600 and Epox 83KA+ or something like that.. can't remember exact model number. And a nice lian li case.

Originally posted by Chris123NT

I just have to say that power users use AMD and people who are not very experienced use intel (Kinda how i see it) ;)

I agree totally with that statement, although being an AMD user im bound to say that

I just have to say that power users use AMD and people who are not very experienced use intel (Kinda how i see it) ;)

true dat, heh

Most amd users have probably built their own computers.. not saying Intel users can't build. Just saying that i see a more majoirty of users that use AMD having built their computer and a more majority of users who use intel having purchased from Dell and the likes.

Majority

Mojo

heh looks funny

Not really man, I'm a power user and I'm experienced, and I use Intel. But I use it b/c for me its more reliable and I got it for a good price too, but if AMD's could fix their heat issues (b/c I don't want having a loud ass HSF jus to cool it, and cuz it makes my whole room hotter than it is) then I would consider getting an AMD system for my self but since its not fixed yet, and I had to many problems with it I jus dropped the idea of having AMD and went with Intel again.

i don't have a loud heatsink.. wait.. what u say? SPEAK LOUDER.. heh

i don't think the stock heatsink and fan is that loud.

maybe in a lian li case with like 10 fans.. maybe

LMAO well if I had an AMD I wouldn't use the stock HSF, they aren't so good, I've tried some on some recent amd xp's I built for some people

With all the talk of a few extra 3d marks, pcmarks, fps whatever; you seem to have neglected other important issues (for me anyway) such as stabilty, noise levels etc.

I have to admit to never even seeing an AMD chip in action so I'm not going to pass comment on which I think is better, but I've used a P4 machine running at 2.2GHz and it was virtually silent.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if all you're gonna be doing is playing games, but for a PC I'd rather work on, it would need to be silent.

I won't bring my G4 chip and it's silent operation into it ;)

Originally posted by Dazzla

With all the talk of a few extra 3d marks, pcmarks, fps whatever; you seem to have neglected other important issues (for me anyway) such as stabilty, noise levels etc.

I have to admit to never even seeing an AMD chip in action so I'm not going to pass comment on which I think is better, but I've used a P4 machine running at 2.2GHz and it was virtually silent.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if all you're gonna be doing is playing games, but for a PC I'd rather work on, it would need to be silent.

I won't bring my G4 chip and it's silent operation into it ;)

Since when do CPUs make noise? :ponder:

Just get a good fan.. I have an AMD XP 1.53Ghz and an Intel P4 1.8Ghz, they both use nice and quite fans.. no noise factor. FYI... both chips are nice and stable... I am not sure which is better for overclocking though.

Originally posted by KayMan2K

Since when do CPUs make noise? :ponder:

Just get a good fan.. I have an AMD XP 1.53Ghz and an Intel P4 1.8Ghz, they both use nice and quite fans.. no noise factor. FYI... both chips are nice and stable... I am not sure which is better for overclocking though.

Lol, you know what I meant. The PC I was using was a stock compaq one so the cooling was the bog standard crap they put in. I opened the case and it was a tiny fan not worthy of anything.

But it done the job, I'm wondering would the same fan be as useful on an AMD chip? Of all the people I've talked to who own AMD and Intel (including reading this thread), it' that the general consensus is that Intel chips operate at a lower temp, therefore not requiring the sound of a 747 taking off every time you start your PC...

OK, so AMD has heat issues...not a big deal. In my mind the reason the AMD is hotter is because it's actually doing more work. The Intel chips do a pretty good job but they stay cooler cuz they do less work. That's just how i see it. I've built about 4 AMD system and 1 Intel system because the person was brainwashed by those commercials. Now they wish they had gone AMD cuz they come over and use my computer and mine is much faster (According to him) than his 1.8GHz P4. I guess it's all just the quality of the components you use when building any system but i went AMD at a t-bird 750Mhz and never went back to Intel after coming from a P3 866mhz. The AMD was faster using the same components except MOBO and Processor.

Don't tell me i'm wrong cuz of my opinion. I don't think you guys are wrong either. But so many different people can't be wrong about AMDs being good tho. Maybe an AMD 2200+ doesn't beat an 2.53Ghz Northwood but hey, they aren't in the same class so you can't compare them. One is .18 and one is .13 (which is another reason it runs cooler).

Oh and about the fans, skrew all all.. hehe, i like fans they are soothing! I can't sleep without a fan so these case fans add to the purr in my room.

hehe.. :)

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

OK, so AMD has heat issues...not a big deal. In my mind the reason the AMD is hotter is because it's actually doing more work. The Intel chips do a pretty good job but they stay cooler cuz they do less work. That's just how i see it. I've built about 4 AMD system and 1 Intel system because the person was brainwashed by those commercials. Now they wish they had gone AMD cuz they come over and use my computer and mine is much faster (According to him) than his 1.8GHz P4. I guess it's all just the quality of the components you use when building any system but i went AMD at a t-bird 750Mhz and never went back to Intel after coming from a P3 866mhz. The AMD was faster using the same components except MOBO and Processor.

Don't tell me i'm wrong cuz of my opinion. I don't think you guys are wrong either. But so many different people can't be wrong about AMDs being good tho. Maybe an AMD 2200+ doesn't beat an 2.53Ghz Northwood but hey, they aren't in the same class so you can't compare them. One is .18 and one is .13 (which is another reason it runs cooler).

Oh and about the fans, skrew all all.. hehe, i like fans they are soothing! I can't sleep without a fan so these case fans add to the purr in my room.

hehe.. :)

Nicely said man. I went P4 there for a while after my tbird 1.4 blew then i decided to give AMD another go (sold p4 to my brother) and man was i glad i did that! This thing runs great! :)

Originally posted by username

i still dont get off where people say "AMD has heat issues", if you build a system to AMDs spec, you will not have problems

That's what I'm trying to ask. Does the AMD spec cooling consists of a greater amount of cooling then the Intel spec?

username by heat issues we mean that they heat the room they are in LOL :p And AMD says anything under 60 is great. Well i say anything above 48 is scary :p

That's what I'm trying to ask. Does the AMD spec cooling consists of a greater amount of cooling then the Intel spec?

no, both CPUs produce the same amount of watts, its just a lot of people build custom AMD systems and use a cheaper heatsink and poor case airflow, you cant cool a cpu good when your case temp is in the 40Cs

unless you are that one guy here who magically has a P4 running at 21C and a case temp at 36C

Originally posted by username

no, both CPUs produce the same amount of watts, its just a lot of people build custom AMD systems and use a cheaper heatsink and poor case airflow, you cant cool a cpu good when your case temp is in the 40Cs

Ok, that's cool. It's just that reading this thread, someone like me who doesn't build PC's would think different.

I'm seeing temps all over the net of like 20-30 on P4's and temps of 30-60 on AMD's.

I'm seeing temps all over the net of like 20-30 on P4's and temps of 30-60 on AMD's.

oh the temperature that is reported is lower in the P4s, but they dont run as high as the Athlons either, P4s top out around 50C and Athlons at 60C, so its all with the numbers