Pentium or AMD?

thats just like saying in factory tests this ford taurus has more horse power than a jaguar.....its like...so what? as long as my car is sleek and QUIET and you dont have to stop every five minutes to let your car cool down on the street in the REAL world and not according to some test

so what? what is a benchmark? to brag?

when you surf neowin/play a game with a processor over 1.5 ghz does it really matter? seriously....what is a benchmark?

i thought so.

benchmarks seem to be all you amd owners are about...thats it..now if you sat side by side with a friend and opened an application and it actually opened 3 seconds faster then that would be something to think about...but come on ...its a number...you can hold your cool numbers up all you want...

while i will be sitting back with a nice cool stable quality processor not caring that some program spits out numbers at me saying yup this one is faster than that one by 400 points! OMG cause for havoc.

Originally posted by ziddey

now its 133mhz (133x4=533). but thing is so is athlon (133x2=266:()

however duron (100x2=200)!!

still get a 1.6a (16x100=1600) and run at 2.13g(16x133=2133)

The p4s are still 100mhz bus you just wrote. The newer ones do operate on the 133mhz bus but that's 133 compared to AMDs 266? Get my point. the p4s use a multiplier higer than 13 to get speeds that high, not the FSB. (still get a 1.6a (16x100=1600 ) see...

Originally posted by hobsgrg

AMD are cheaper as well, so if some benchmarks dont persuade you then the price should.

olk then thats better.....that actually matters

PRICE people.

now if i were on a budget or if you are on a budget then go for an AMD.

i have no problem recommending it to people on a budget cause they are budget processors designed specifically to try and outclass the higher priced ones at any cost.

but dont go expecting to have a perfect computing experience because chances are you will run into one problem or another and i dont mean software related.

Originally posted by hobsgrg

Freeza what are u trying to say? The P4 actually executes LESS instructions per clock cycle than a P3, it just plain sucks

wow you amd people are really loyal........ you must turn your head when Toms Hardware makes a new AMD vs P4 and just read your old edition AMD vs P4 that you saved on your harddrive because it said your chip was better.

The new Pentium 4s with the 533mhz FSB are said to be faster than AMD's chips, it is like overclocking but it is certified so the whole system runs faster.

I am very happy with my system, i have the origional P4 1.7 and it is 1 year old now. it has been running with no problems, and runs great with all games. my friend has Athlon xp and his system freezes all the time. my system is probably as fast as i need it to be and i haven't even overclocked it yet. the chip i have is said to be overclocked to 2.3ghz without watercooling.

Amd might be cheaper, but P4 RDRAM ROX! and with the new FSB AMD is stuck behind Intel until they make their die size smaller or release the clawhammer.

go P4 =)

damn right :D

and when the pentium 4 beats an AMD people are still in denial...either that or they say

"of course it does look at how many more mhz it has"....just admit that it won and move on

Originally posted by freeza

and when the pentium 4 beats an AMD people are still in denial...either that or they say

"of course it does look at how many more mhz it has"....just admit that it won and move on

yeah, reminds me of the linux community that are so damn loyal to it and deny any thing that is right w/ windows (there may not be much, but there are some). :D

I can only say this:

My last CPU was a T-Bird 1.3GHz. It ran at 60C with the case closed and I had a VIA chipset that didnt allow my Gf2 to operate with fast writes because of tearing errors in Windows. It was hot and XP just had "issues" with Via chipsets/SBLive

I bought a P4 1.6GHz recently and a dearer Intel i845 chipset and DDR ram and Im glad I did, the CPU now operates at 30C (max) allows fast writes and feels more stable overal.

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by freeza

Well im a struggling computer science university student so price is paramount for me, but i haven't had any problems with AMD chips and i've been using them since the K6-3, ahhh those were the days, lol. So i'll admit to being a die-hard AMD fan

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

The p4s are still 100mhz bus you just wrote. The newer ones do operate on the 133mhz bus but that's 133 compared to AMDs 266? Get my point. the p4s use a multiplier higer than 13 to get speeds that high, not the FSB. (still get a 1.6a (16x100=1600 ) see...

you have quite misinterpreted both me and amd. amd is not the god that you speak of!!!

intel has qdr much like amd has ddr. amd does multipliers the same exact way!

AMD or Pentium

who cares, it's a personall choice.....

If you have money then go for the P4.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend go for the AMD, it's not a bad processor.

PS: I am sick and tired of the AMD VS PENTIUM treads.

see? even the chief is agreeing

cody: yeah....its people that are so loyal that they refuse to see whats right in front of them.

i can admit that the athlon "XP" processor beat intel in "benchmarks" but none of that matters to me..no matter how much any one of them wins i will still be an intel advocate until AMD beefs up the quality of their work to me.

but since everyone is all about benchmarks when the intel processor finally wins....even with benchmarks....they're still in denial. or bring up some other points to justify the win other than they just won....get over it.

Originally posted by Neobond

I can only say this:

My last CPU was a T-Bird 1.3GHz. It ran at 60C with the case closed and I had a VIA chipset that didnt allow my Gf2 to operate with fast writes because of tearing errors in Windows. It was hot and XP just had "issues" with Via chipsets/SBLive

I bought a P4 1.6GHz recently and a dearer Intel i845 chipset and DDR ram and Im glad I did, the CPU now operates at 30C (max) allows fast writes and feels more stable overal.

My 2 cents.

omfg well said. I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

too bad im still stuck with a via and have to turn off fw. :(

of course a higher priced chip can beat a lower priced one, but if you bought an AMD and a Pentium for the same amount of money the AMD would defiantly beat it

Originally posted by stuckwithme247

of course a higher priced chip can beat a lower priced one, but if you bought an AMD and a Pentium for the same amount of money the AMD would defiantly beat it

damn good point

ok, i'll just read from now on.... ;) these AMD vs Intel threads are gonna go nuts. One person just go which should i get, AMD or Intel and we all go nuts. I guess he was looking for our opinions tho so there you go.... see what you did!:mad: ;)

/edit

oh wait... crap!

Happy 2000th Post SHoTTa35!!!!

WHo Hoo! Pary At SHoTTa's house! Bring the liquor!!

hehe, no 13yr olds ;)

lol SHoTTa35 :D anyways I had a AMD XP 1900 which never worked out for me, so I returned it n got my money back n got my P4 2Ghz for the same price since my uncles a reseller :) and ever since I got it I love it, more stable than anything I've ever had :D all I want now is a better vid card and I'm set :) and maybe some RD ram :D

These threads always result in the same type of thing, rather than bickering about which is better we should direct these people to places like Anandtech, Toms Hardware, etc to read the damn reviews themselves and draw their own conclusions.

Why is it that every processor-related thread will have half the posts from Freeza, yet he sits and degrades others for sticking up for what they prefer? Maybe he thinks the more he sees himself, the more he'll probably believe what he's saying, who knows. All I know is, it's pretty annoying. Whatever, anyways...

Get whatever you want. The performance thing is allmost a non-issue anymore, you just gotta know what's best for each platform type. AMD/Via can be finicky w/ certain hardware. Intel is famous for stability. Pick whichever you want. It's not really that big of a decision.

And to all the little fanboys (ie; Freeza); shut up already. I own both platforms *right now*. I can't see much difference. Maybe because I'm not sitting around running benchmarks and actually *using* my systems for something. :right:

Originally posted by Initial 2k2

Okay, Im realllllly decisive here on wheather I want an AMD, or a Pentium4.. Pentium has always been the first to get higher chip speeds, and has been around for 30 + years.. AMD has been around for 2-3 years, and has always been behind... Not saying they're bad, I use a Duron 1.2, and yet its JUST below my benchs on my P4 1.5..

But, with these insanely high bus speeds coming up, 800 Mhz FSB, vs the 266 bus, cmon.. Thats an INSANE difference there...

Pentiums can be easily overclocked as well from what I hear.. the 1.6a reaching 2.9 with water cooling.. 2.7 with Volcano 7+.. 2.4 with Stock coolers.. Cmon, its crazy.. I mean, I have 2 AMD computers and 2 Pentium computers..

AMD k6-2 533mhz

AMD k7 Duron 1200mhz

Pentium 3 800mhz

Pentium 4 1500mhz

I really love AMD, and yet I really love intel.. The prices may be a little higher, but in actuality, you get what you paid for, and you get higher frequencys.. Can I get some opinions here on whether what I should buy?

You must be smoking crack cos first of all Intel has not been making pentium chips for 30+ years, and amd has been around a hell of a lot longer than 2-3 years and for most of the years they have actually been up to par with Intel if not faster.

I'm sure you would be perfectly fine with a p4 :roll:

as for the heat issues 2 words, arctic silver. They make thermal paste for a reason.

We have a 1.4 ghz ath that runs at 22c max with a taisol heatsink and a gigabyte mobo.

No heat issues here at all