iTunes 5 Released

Over 60 megs used when running! All the other services and crap it loads plus itunes itself and it's sucking up my ram. That's just insane. WMP uses around 12 megs. Why is Apple forcing me into Microsoft's hands? On a notebook with limited memory this just isn't an option.

anyone using windows version of 5 got a thick left and right border (like 2 pixel thick)?

586491710[/snapback]

Got that as well, I'll admit - iTunes 5 does look better on OS X than on XP even though I really don't like the new interface.

Radish?

I think it looks great, the finally did a UI overhaul itunes 3 to 4 was just a small button change and a few small things.

BTW the Nano Pod is gonna be the new ipod mini i believe

edit: from the front page

Got that as well, I'll admit - iTunes 5 does look better on OS X than on XP even though I really don't like the new interface.

Radish?

586491730[/snapback]

I love the new interface myself. Looks very slick; although, I am not a huge fan of the color. They should have made the color light grey with a more glossy look--that would've been cooler.

Oh man, this is sweet! I just came back from a horrible day at school (all my homework coming from my two math classes, yuck!), but to see this - I feel a lot better now! Sweetness! The iPod Nano is godly! Boy, my download for iTunes 5 is taking a while. Stupid brother downloading massive amounts of crap, sucking up all the bandwidth.

So, was VBR AAC always an option?

586491555[/snapback]

I don't see it here in 4.9, so another improvement there.

AACPlus/HE-AAC would have been a nice addition IMO. Especially with the Nano being flash based (assuming that it too would support it ;) )

quick hint on how to get it to install without quicktime

extract the itunes installer (with 7zip) then just delete quicktime setup and it installs fine :)

if you use quicktime alternative this is a good plan

Over 60 megs used when running! All the other services and crap it loads plus itunes itself and it's sucking up my ram. That's just insane. WMP uses around 12 megs. Why is Apple forcing me into Microsoft's hands? On a notebook with limited memory this just isn't an option.

586491727[/snapback]

ok. so it takes resources... but it friggin owns. period.

i cant wait for the new ui on all i apps and the next kitty. i love kitties.

rock on apple.

is there a way to only download itune and not quicktime?

I dont want to install quicktime

586491774[/snapback]

You might as well get the bundle, since it has a new version of QuickTime in it (7.0.2).

Radish?

Same style, different color.

586491708[/snapback]

I don't agree:

-It's an entirely different color;

-All the buttons used by iTunes are nowhere to be found in the rest of the system and it's applications;

-Mail 2.0's Unified Title/Toolbar look only fills the title and toolbar parts (as the name explains), everything beneath those two parts are filled by the default Aqua pinstripes;

-iTunes 5.0's style is 100% unified, it doesn't have pinstripes anywhere (see main window+ Equalizer) so it's not an Unified Title/Toolbar look since the style covers more than that alone.

But hey no one knows for sure, we'll just have to wait and see what Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard brings us. :)

Edited by PureLogic

anyone else notice itunes 5 installs a service called 'Bonjour' ?

Description:

Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence, so that users can discover and use those services without any unnecessary manual setup or administration.

anyone know what it does?

I don't agree:

-It's an entirely different color;

-All the buttons used by iTunes are nowhere to be found in the rest of the system and it's applications;

-Mail 2.0's Unified Title/Toolbar look only fills the title and toolbar parts (as the name explains), everything beneath those two parts are filled by the default Aqua pinstripes;

-iTunes 5.0's style is 100% unified, it doesn't have pinstripes anywhere (see main window+ Equalizer) so it's not an Unified Title/Toolbar look since the style covers more than that alone.

But hey no one knows for sure, we'll just have to wait and see what Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard brings us. :)

586491923[/snapback]

there are still stripes in the menubar for os x ;) but im a smartass.

i love it. h-h-h-ope this is what they use for 10.5.

Description:

Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence, so that users can discover and use those services without any unnecessary manual setup or administration.

586491945[/snapback]

I believe it is what was Rendezvous, used for the library sharing on a LAN.

Description:

586491945[/snapback]

Hope this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(protocol) ;)