Vista vs OSX for Intel

What I meant is:

After all the enhacements that MS is bringing to Vista, in terms of UI , search capabilities, Office 12, etc....

Is it will worth to move? I love the OSX idea... (interface, etc...) but in terms od usability , available softwares.... Apple can't beat that.

So in my opnion ... MS will preveal again...

-xUnix

You're asking "Which one" in the title... and you're telling us in the thread :/

Your opinion is purely speculative... would you be kind enough to tell me what the weather will be like on November 1st?

What I meant is:

After all the enhacements that MS is bringing to Vista, in terms of UI , search capabilities, Office 12, etc....

Is it will worth to move?? I love the OSX idea... (interface, etc...) but in terms od usability , available softwares.... Apple can't beat that.

So in my opnion ... MS will preveal again...

-xUnix

586548999[/snapback]

You're not accounting for the fact that it won't be the current OS X. It will be a new version, 10.5, and there could be many more innovations to come by then. In any case, I think Vista will NOT beat OS X in usability and usable software. I've found every single piece of software I've ever used on Windows for my Mac, or I've found a better replacement. And Spotlight kicks ass in search capabilities, so I don't see anything beating it.

while every one is tryin to install Tiger on their PC, wt really interested me is Leopard, aka Mac OS 10.5..

my impression on vista? jus "some" mere enhancements to its UI & increased security

My opinion is that Vista will level the playing field (for a very short while). You have to remember though OS X has had a lot of the features (or at least similar features) for a while now.

Apple will always beat MS to adding new things to the OS. Apple does not have to maintain the level of backwards support that Microsoft does. Apple has a shorter development schedule as well (10.5 will be out about the same time as Longhorn).

I don't see Vista or Apple's Intel move to make a huge difference either way. Mac users will get better mobile systems and faster low end machines in the immediate future and Windows users will get a taste of what Mac users have had for several years plus a few new things.

If you want the latest and greatest in terms of OS features then OS X is for you. If you want compatability and a platform for gaming then Windows is for you. Nothing is going to change this, at least not for a while.

long term windows user who thinks that the interface for osx kicks behind lol i think that the inovations will e good ut maybe not enough for the long time mac lovers

I used Vista Beta 1, and now Beta 2 (or Pre Beta 2 if you wanna be like that) and I would say its a nice improvement over XP but its nothing vast unforchenetly. To me all they really did is change the interface and pretty it all up. there really isn't much behind this high quality gloss and high resolution icons.. it feels to much like XP+1 and not Windows Vista. I hope RC1 has some hidden features because frankly I'm disappointed.

I used Vista Beta 1, and now Beta 2 (or Pre Beta 2 if you wanna be like that) and I would say its a nice improvement over XP but its nothing vast unforchenetly. To me all they really did is change the interface and pretty it all up. there really isn't much behind this high quality gloss and high resolution icons.. it feels to much like XP+1 and not Windows Vista. I hope RC1 has some hidden features because frankly I'm disappointed.

586549220[/snapback]

I think the pre beta 2 is going to be a lot different from even beta 2, the major stuff still hasn't been shown to anyone so like was said earlier, you can't fairly compare Vista in its current state to anything right now.

And to the people saying 10.5 is the one for Intel, has it been confirmed that the final intel build will be 10.5? Or is this just speculation?

I have no need for vista, I am not going to spend that much on it.

I'll either magically end up with it somehow magically, or just stick with x86 OSX Dual booting with XP.

I'm planning on buying mac os x x86 when it's out and cracking it for my PC and stuff even though that's still illegal, it doesn't feel morally wrong.

I have no need for vista, I am not going to spend that much on it.

I'll either magically end up with it somehow magically, or just stick with x86 OSX Dual booting with XP.

I'm planning on buying mac os x x86 when it's out and cracking it for my PC and stuff even though that's still illegal, it doesn't feel morally wrong.

586549261[/snapback]

Thats what I would like to do next year when both Leopard and Vista RTM, dual boot on an Apple Intel x86 machine.

Thats what I would like to do next year when both Leopard and Vista RTM, dual boot on an Apple Intel x86 machine.

586549375[/snapback]

That's of course apple doesnt tied up the their Hw to the OS. (with TPM, etc...)

and assuming they will sell it to any PC.

I think the pre beta 2 is going to be a lot different from even beta 2, the major stuff still hasn't been shown to anyone so like was said earlier, you can't fairly compare Vista in its current state to anything right now.

And to the people saying 10.5 is the one for Intel, has it been confirmed that the final intel build will be 10.5? Or is this just speculation?

586549234[/snapback]

I think the fist x86 Mac that will hit the market will be running Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger, but Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard for both PPC and x86 should follow really soon. Unless Apple really speeds up things.

Frankly I think we'll all have to wait until Mac OS X 10.5 has been released before making real comparisons. Mac OS X 10.4 is still part of the Windows XP erra, 10.5 will be the real next-gen operating system just like Windows Vista.

Bit too bad tho that we don't know anything about 10.5 except for that it will probably spot a scalable interface.

but in terms od usability Apple can't beat that.

did you mean "odd" useability? I didn't think that'd be a good thing.

Considering that OS X for Intel will still require everybody to buy new hardware to use it (or break EULAs) I really don't think it'll be a significant player on the desktop computer OS landscape. I won't be installing it on any of my PCs - and while I may end up with a media center PC running whatever the next Windows for them is, I certainly won't be going out of my way to get it. I just don't see the draw of Windows any more, getting OS X onto my grandparents computers (assuming it were legal) is pretty inviting if only because it'll cut down on the tech support calls I have to field.

Bit too bad tho that we don't know anything about 10.5 except for that it will probably spot a scalable interface.

And that Finder will still suck, the interface will get less consistent, and FTP writing will be broken inexplicably. Along with all the other perennial Mac "quirks".

Apple will always beat MS to adding new things to the OS. Apple does not have to maintain the level of backwards support that Microsoft does.

Apple has great backward compatibility. Applications from back in the M68k days will still run on a 2-way powermac 2.7 without issue. Apple's OS is brilliantly backward compatible with all the old software (until the intel version ships and drops Classic support that is).

The problem?if you can call it that?is 1st and 3rd party software vendors that write code that uses the new features of Apple's operating systems: they tie themselves to the 'latest and greatest'. The very first version of Microsoft Office (before it even existed on Windows) will still run on all currently shipping Macs (OS X is backward compatible that way). The current version of Microsoft Office requires 10.2.8 or newwer (office is not backwards compatible with OS 9 or 10.1.5).

10.4 is still part of the Windows XP erra, 10.5 will be the real next-gen operating system just like Windows Vista.

Era yes, but are you reallly saying XP is an as advanced OS as Tiger?

I'm not a fanboy either way...but I think Tiger is advanced enough to be considered a next-gen OS when compared to XP.

Leopard is where the fun will start. It could be Apple's chance to totally humiliate MS if they do it right. I'm not saying it will make a load of people run out and buy Mac, but it could make the tech community have a good laugh at MS's expense. If MS have spent all this time supposedly catching up to Tiger as some writers would have us believe, only for Leopard to race ahead with some really good features Microsoft will have to consider implementing a few years later then it might make some people think twice.

Best to wait a bit and see how you like Vista and Office Vista. <- :shifty:

From my experience with Vista there is now no reason for me to crave OS X or it's interface. Microsoft have done a great job so far, and it's not even close to being done.

If this was a perfect world and i jhad enough mone id buy a x86 based mac, and then triboot Leopard, Vista and Ubuntu 6.04 Drapper Drake (who thinks of these goddamn names???)... but this isnt a perfect world so ill probably just upgrade my current hardware.. or go build a whole new pc and jst dual boot ubuntu and vista.. or some other linux variat.. cuz well i dont know that in tha time ubuntu wll be the right choice for me :)... but really, i AM dissapointed with how vista LOOKS so far.. but im not a beta tester and therefore i havnt actally tried it so i dunno.... we'll have to wait and see which will be better.. at least until beta 2 vs tiger