'Redesigned' Windows Vista "Start Menu" (Mockup)

No offence but, it?s pretty sad that one person could create something that looks nicer than the hundred of people working the UI in Vista...

Paul has touched this subject as well.

-pied

No offence but, it?s pretty sad that one person could create something that looks nicer than the hundred of people working the UI in Vista...

Paul has touched this subject as well.

-pied

586768484[/snapback]

When you say "create" do you mean "make in photoshop". I'm sure I could make a pretty cool looking thing too, but the people at M$ have to make it blend together. I agree that the design is innovative, if thats what you mean. But I really doubt that "Cool start menu" was at the top of the to-do list of Vista:p:p

When you say "create" do you mean "make in photoshop".  I'm sure I could make a pretty cool looking thing too, but the people at M$ have to make it blend together.  I agree that the design is innovative, if thats what you mean.  But I really doubt that "Cool start menu" was at the top of the to-do list of Vista. :p

586768503[/snapback]

OSX looks better than vista - how did they do it?

OSX looks better than vista - how did they do it?

586768567[/snapback]

Cause Apple people know that people like good looking things. Just look at the ipod. The only reason its so popular is cause it looks so damn nice. There are tons of cheaper, better mp3 players. M$ people just started to realize this. Look at windows pre-xp. The gui never changed and it was ugly. Now M$ is trying to give apple some competition in the graphics department. I bet you they have a dartboard in their office with a picture of Jobs in the center.

Cause Apple people know that people like good looking things. Just look at the ipod.  The only reason its so popular is cause it looks so damn nice.  There are tons of cheaper, better mp3 players.  M$ people just started to realize this.  Look at windows pre-xp.  The gui never changed and it was ugly.  Now M$ is trying to give apple some competition in the graphics department.  I bet you they have a dartboard in their office with a picture of Jobs in the center.

586768606[/snapback]

LOL

Ok then, Apple does not have the resources or R&D as MS...

Tell me does Vista look better then OSX?

Even if it does to you... I don't think vista looks has good as MS hyped it in the beginning... I really believe that we haven't seen the real vista look yet?

The M$ guys said that the gui of the current Vista builds is only a little taste of what the final one will look like. Although I don't think the graphics will rival those of OSX, I think they're moving in the right direction.

slide0157image0357as1jp.png

The M$ guys said that the gui of the current Vista builds is only a little taste of what the final one will look like.  Although I don't think the graphics will rival those of OSX, I think they're moving in the right direction.

slide0157image0357as1jp.png

586768704[/snapback]

See that looks good... but it's a concept right?

I don't think a black theme/style is very gen pop, do you? you know the current look of Vista

I like!!

MS needs to seriously do something about their start menu IMO its getting messy and bloated, your idea is a good first step but it has potential to be better.

nice skills btw

The design is very good, but it doesn't really offer anything better in terms of usability. Most people don't care about looks after a few days, and that is when good designs prevail, if they are usable.

Yeah I really don't like the look of this. Not your graphical skills, they are fine. From a usability standpoint this just won't work. You have obviously spent some time on this and have some good ideas though. By all means do not stop spilling your ideas out for us to trash them :p

I really think MS nailed the Start Menu design on XP. Everything is there right in front of you, or within 1 or 2 clicks.

I only use XP on my laptop though and don't really use it that much. In KDE/Linux if you wanted to change the startmenu you just write a new plugin that does exactly what you want.

I have Vista beta 1 here and don't like the changes to the startmenu. I think by the time Vista is released MS will have figured it out and come up with something great looking and usable.

Great design... but you might want to consider doing somthin with how the white on the left just stops dead... somthin like a gradiend or somthin would make it look nicer.

Thanks all for your comments!

:) i'll try different stuff... but right now I am working on this project already (under Vista...) NOT with WinFX technology though.. it's all Windows Forms, so it looks pretty ugly (cause its not rendering any transpartency or blur stuff... I still dont know how to do that lol) but there was a comment someone made about doing good "photoshop" stuff, and not coding it itself.. that is true though, cause its really easy to only "paint" your ideas with a graphic design program... but the hard part is to code the whole project and getting the effects you want.. and you cannot get those effects in Windows Forms, which is what im using right now to do this.... I've advance a little... I'll soon have a video ready to be posted "here" of what ive done so far... hope yall like it :D (even thought its ugly lol... something close to a classic version of this, but under vista....)

hopeing we can get this start menu as a mod of Vista once it comes out... faith, that i will do my best :) so those ones who like can have it installed later woot! :shifty:

I really like it, suggest it to MS.

I would move the user picture to the top of the start menu, or the background.

One of the things that drives me crazy about the Vista start menu is that when you hit a letter it automatically starts searching for programs, I'm used to pressing Winkey+U+U to shut down for example.

Everyone is like "suggest it to MS" how do you think anyone of us would do that? We don't have the Vista design team on speed dial..

586775308[/snapback]

true that! :happy:

I made this cuz thats the way I would like the Start Menu to look like in WinVi.. at least, close to that... its not like the Windows Vista Team would take this to add it to their project lol! :D (well if they do thats up to them :p)

:shifty: