'Redesigned' Windows Vista "Start Menu" (Mockup)

• 4 months later...

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to do ;)

w6vbe1.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to add the rest of the programs and the search part, but you get the general gist of things :)

Edit: And then I realised this is an old thread..gosh, I just saw it on a certain website, and thought I'd reply...now I feel slightly intimidated.

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to d;);)

Transparency is a tool, not an effect. Its not made to look 'cool' because you can see through the background, but to aid in user-interface experience, giving the users a hint of what is 'underneath'.

Transparency is a tool, not an effect. Its not made to look 'cool' because you can see through the background, but to aid in user-interface experience, giving the users a hint of what is 'underneath'.

Yes, well I didn't say it was there to look cool did I? You made a point that was irrelevant. I simply posted something I made in my spare time. I know why there is a transparency effect, so I'm trying to understand why you even bothered posting pointless feedback on my post.

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to d;);)

w6vbe1.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to add the rest of the programs and the search part, but you get the general gist of thing:):)

Edit: And then I realised this is an old thread..gosh, I just saw it on a certain website, and thought I'd reply...now I feel slightly intimidated.

I think it is a nice concept. But the Start button has been updated on recent Vista builds.

I think it is a nice concept. But the Start button has been updated on recent Vista builds.

Pfft, it was just something I made in my spare time, for fun if you will.. But I'm starting to think that the transparency on the start menu is a bit too transparent :p And the start button is just the one I'm using at the moment, I have no idea what the current style is for the current Vista update :( Anyone care to share? :D

Pfft, it was just something I made in my spare time, for fun if you will.. But I'm starting to think that the transparency on the start menu is a bit too transparent :p And the start button is just the one I'm using at the moment, I have no idea what the current style is for the current Vista update :( Anyone care to share? :D

Like this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcas..._5365_01_05.jpg

I like it :p!

To be honest, it's a bit of a step backwards in UI design.

I don't get the idea of the "expandable panel" to reach very commonly-used stuff like the control panel and shut-down. The user already "expanded" the Start menu into view by opening it, and it's a hassle to expand it even further by clicking on a side button to get to something that used to be available right there.

Moving the Quick Launch bar into there also removes the one-click functionality of having them on the task bar. "Quick" is the descriptive word in Quick Launch.

As for the application list... the vast majority of people I know (I work in the business world) only use 4 or 5 programs on a daily basis. They have no preblem going into the sub-menu to reach whichever extra programs they may need to use.

I'm not saying this menu is useless, but it is not suited for the general population. (It's more of a "Leet Menu" than a "Start Menu".)

I have already downloaded and used this , it was either a desktop x object or an exe , not sure which but i will go through the my cd's and check , i specificaly remember using it because my wife used it for a few days , very nice though .

• 4 months later...