• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'Redesigned' Windows Vista "Start Menu" (Mockup)

blackcomb-    0

not bad at all.

Clearly, it is very well thought out....

Joe P    0

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to do ;)

w6vbe1.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to add the rest of the programs and the search part, but you get the general gist of things :)

Edit: And then I realised this is an old thread..gosh, I just saw it on a certain website, and thought I'd reply...now I feel slightly intimidated.

Long    3

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to d;);)

Transparency is a tool, not an effect. Its not made to look 'cool' because you can see through the background, but to aid in user-interface experience, giving the users a hint of what is 'underneath'.

illicit    0

I think that it looks not bad.

Joe P    0

Transparency is a tool, not an effect. Its not made to look 'cool' because you can see through the background, but to aid in user-interface experience, giving the users a hint of what is 'underneath'.

Yes, well I didn't say it was there to look cool did I? You made a point that was irrelevant. I simply posted something I made in my spare time. I know why there is a transparency effect, so I'm trying to understand why you even bothered posting pointless feedback on my post.

Martyn    5

Hmph, well someone said how they'd prefer the block white bit to be transparent, so I thought I'd just make a mockup of your mockup because I've nothing better to d;);)

w6vbe1.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to add the rest of the programs and the search part, but you get the general gist of thing:):)

Edit: And then I realised this is an old thread..gosh, I just saw it on a certain website, and thought I'd reply...now I feel slightly intimidated.

I think it is a nice concept. But the Start button has been updated on recent Vista builds.

Bhav    18

Very cool design :cool:

Jordan M.    0

LOVE this design

ediT: just noticed this was my 400th post

Joe P    0

I think it is a nice concept. But the Start button has been updated on recent Vista builds.

Pfft, it was just something I made in my spare time, for fun if you will.. But I'm starting to think that the transparency on the start menu is a bit too transparent :p And the start button is just the one I'm using at the moment, I have no idea what the current style is for the current Vista update :( Anyone care to share? :D

Martyn    5

Pfft, it was just something I made in my spare time, for fun if you will.. But I'm starting to think that the transparency on the start menu is a bit too transparent :p And the start button is just the one I'm using at the moment, I have no idea what the current style is for the current Vista update :( Anyone care to share? :D

Like this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcas..._5365_01_05.jpg

I like it :p!

lunarworks    32

To be honest, it's a bit of a step backwards in UI design.

I don't get the idea of the "expandable panel" to reach very commonly-used stuff like the control panel and shut-down. The user already "expanded" the Start menu into view by opening it, and it's a hassle to expand it even further by clicking on a side button to get to something that used to be available right there.

Moving the Quick Launch bar into there also removes the one-click functionality of having them on the task bar. "Quick" is the descriptive word in Quick Launch.

As for the application list... the vast majority of people I know (I work in the business world) only use 4 or 5 programs on a daily basis. They have no preblem going into the sub-menu to reach whichever extra programs they may need to use.

I'm not saying this menu is useless, but it is not suited for the general population. (It's more of a "Leet Menu" than a "Start Menu".)

ejl2006    0

I have already downloaded and used this , it was either a desktop x object or an exe , not sure which but i will go through the my cd's and check , i specificaly remember using it because my wife used it for a few days , very nice though .