'Redesigned' Windows Vista "Start Menu" (Mockup)

I like it, can you try and get a job at Microsoft and make Vista a bit better lol

586775984[/snapback]

hahahaha!

I will :p but for its next version! :ninja:

WOW that looks absolutely stunning well done!

Unfortunately that is where my praise ends because I think that it defeats the purpose of the start menu.

I commonly use links in the start menu such as "My Computer", "Control Panel", "Run" etc so it removes a lot of handy features that I commonly use. I did notice that you included these icons in an optional menu that pops out the side but I don't really want to do any kind of scrolling in my start menu, I just want to be able to click the menu and see all my options there waiting for me straight away.

Also mum and dad users have trouble with scrolling features, and adding anything at all that makes you need to scroll is going to confuse the absolute heck out of them.

So yeah, I think you have a drop dead gorgeous great design here but unfortunately it just isn't a logical replacement to the start menu and there would be a huge backlash if MS included a menu like this.

-----

PS. Sorry, I didn't bother to read the vast majority of the replies.

I really like the design! Great work man.

I agree with pied_piper, it's funny how one person can be more innovative than a professional team.

I personally can't find anything better than OS X's finder bar + dock. That's real innovation, so why can't Microsoft come up with something new/refreshed? Invent, Microsoft, invent!

Theres some nice ideas in there (Y)

but I do feel that the whole "Start menu" experience is still too complex. There must be a simpler solution to the problem. Also, i think categories really need to be implemented into the "All Programs" to clean it up a bit. Predefined categories such as "Design" "Internet" "Multimedia" "Reference" "Office" etc

I am worried about what this would do for new users, my mom had never touched a computer and she still doesn't understand to launch a program from the start menu - I have to tell her to click on All Programs, a new start menu should address that.

I am worried about what this would do for new users...

586776981[/snapback]

this is not doing anything my friend, as this is not something Microsoft is currently working on ;)

i like a few of the ideas, it looks nice enough, im glad that you put the programs list back in the main area rather than having the "recently used programs." however, I hate hate hate anything that requires me to scroll thru a list of things, it requires me to wait on the machine to scroll thru at a previously determined rate. allowing a change in the rate might suppress the problem a bit but it still exists because if you scrolled thru programs at the same rate you could navigate a menu system, you wouldnt be able to accurately choose a program. The same goes for the expansion for my computer, networks, etc. Even though I have all of those hotkeyed already, there is no way I would use a shell with that configuration because it would slows me down.

I applaude you for your innovation, however I think a few of the ideas need to be scrapped and some need to be layed out differently.

i think you're going over the top when you're saying this is completely simple. sure, it looks simple, but is navigation & functionality simpler? as another user said, the last thing you want to do is scroll and click more than once to do the things you do commonly.

i personally hate clicking more than twice for programs that i always use. the first click is the start menu (i hate desktop icons too :p), then the second click is the program

i would choose the current start menu design they have going now for vista. imo, this is aiming more towards eye candy rather than functionality. there's not enough balance between functionality and eye candy

Watch out under "Customizing Windows XP" Forum section, as I might publish a beta of this mockup as a "real" product (under development) right now.

I hope some of you would want to beta test it :) Give me feedback and support as I work on it and try my best to make this really cool :)

Looks like you put a lot of work into this.. however, even suggesting that MS would ever incorporate this into their UI is simply ludicrous.

Personally i think it severely overcomplicates an otherwise simple and effective design.

You have talent tho, so keep up the good work, keep skinning, its nice to see some fresh innovative ideas even if i dont agree with them.

Looks like you put a lot of work into this.. however, even suggesting that MS would ever incorporate this into their UI is simply ludicrous.

586792667[/snapback]

:) I didnt suggest anything to MS, it was most of the members here at Neowin.net who did :) .... even thought they havent said anything to Ms "directly".... but you know things are "literaly" read at times :) thanks for your feedback and ur advice Winswy...

These mockups are a good example of how the start menu can change. In the current builds its pretty much no different from XP, its bound to change in beta 2. One thing that just seems so obvious is using glass in there somehow.

Im also interested in having a simple list of applications in there. Im just not a fan of the whole "all programs > ea games > battlefield 2 > bf2.exe + uninstall + readme" mess. Of course it can still be in there somehow for legacy reasons, but a simple list of applications which doesnt allow folders should be implemented with the relevent guidelines for developers.

Hey guys,

This was the design I was working on, I never had time to finish it though.

All that remains is adding the arrow to open the side panel and the logoff/shutdown buttons in the space I left at the bottom.

Let me know what you think.

WindowsVistaConceptStartMenuUnfinis.jpg

Hmm it's nice too and very similar to the one in the first post of this thread, but I think I prefer the other one. It fits more with Longhorn's theme as well.

The wallpaper and the effects on the flag and the font are insane though! It's like a time portal to the future! :D

Hey guys,

This was the design I was working on, I never had time to finish it though.

All that remains is adding the arrow to open the side panel and the logoff/shutdown buttons in the space I left at the bottom.

Let me know what you think.

Wow Xero, that's just beautiful, it does indeed look great.

I am definitely no graphic artist like KoL, Bant and the others who come here but here's a little idea I've had in my head for a little while. Maybe someone can take it and make it look more fancy or something. this only took like 5 minutes and obviously I'm not very good :laugh:

post-118374-1136565812_thumb.jpg

I am definitely no graphic artist like KoL, Bant and the others who come here but here's a little idea I've had in my head for a little while. Maybe someone can take it and make it look more fancy or something. this only took like 5 minutes and obviously I'm not very good  :laugh:

post-118374-1136565812_thumb.jpg

586830619[/snapback]

Wait, if the start menus in the middle, where would the minimized windows go? Around it? :huh: