Village idiots beat 5 'witches' to death

Yes, this is bad and IMO ridiculous action taken upon the mob. I think religion should not be forced, but it was here apparently.

To anyone that are gonna participate here: do NOT turn this into a flame war. Keep the discussion intelligent and peaceful thank you.

Religion isn't really a bad thing. Some people need something "higher" to believe in. It's suppose to help people. It's just that some people take religion a little bit too far. And just for the record, I don't believe in any religion.

I don't mind if people practice religion, but when it becomes a public matter, things like this happen. Still happens today in America but more in the form of lawsuits.

this is why i dont get into all this religion stuff PEOPLE BELIEVE WANT YOU WANT! dont let some monk tell u wat to believe in ;) the end. timmys bible

That was a horrible tradgedy indeed and people just make me sick sometimes. In all fairness though, it shows the ugly side of humanity - not just that of religion. Religion is a reflection of the hearts of those who believe. It has no power unto itself. People are drawn to religions that best express how they feel - or were taught to feel. Of course, this is an objective outsiders opinion ;).

Maybe they were witches.

No, seriously though, this is a great way to have an effective law enforcement agency. Someone dies, and instead of investigating, you kill random people. Who will argue with that?

Originally posted by twist

i'm taking bets on how long this thread will alst.

<10 posts odds 5-1

10-20 20-1

20+ 100-1

place your bets now

Hmm...it got off to a good start. 20+ looks tempting at those odds. Alright, $100 on 20+.

Oh wait...this is OT, that's gonna screw these odds big time...:p

What does that have to do with religion being bad? It has everything to do with people being stupid...

Thread renamed to fit subject matter

deadzombie

To anyone that are gonna participate here: do NOT turn this into a flame war. Keep the discussion intelligent and peaceful thank you.

Go read my Flamebait thread again.

About the topic...

This are extreme people today which do this, BUT...

You should look back at the e.g. middle-age, then you see what religions did. If anyone tagged someone as witch, (s)he would have all the town after her to burn her, in less than 10 minutes. Today this doesn't happen anymore, because most people don't believe so THAT much anymore into all this stuff and don't take it all literally, also they are frightened by the laws too. That's why just fundies keep doing it these days, and there are still enough.

But then again, look at the trouble Harry Potter caused in USA, because LOTS of people thought it's Witchcraft Deluxe. :/

It wasn't any harmful trouble, but lots of people freaked for such a stupid thing.

Or look here how some groups take stuff too serious... www.capalert.com

Originally posted by deadzombie

What does that have to do with religion being bad? It has everything to do with people being stupid...

Thread renamed to fit subject matter

deadzombie

tsk tsk zombie, insulting people ;)

it begins. lol

Actually these people were exercising their religion, that's nothing about people being stupid in some way.

You guys just look for an excuse to attack religion?

Nowhere in the linked article is religion mentioned anywhere. It was the village jury that decided the women should be killed. Seems to me this is more of an arguement against political organizations than anything else.

Maybe a few people need to finish up their basic reading skills?

In fact, the only reference to religion in the article is inferred from the women being witches. This article is actually about religious persecution...a village political organization killing five women because of supposed religious views.

Originally posted by Tom Servo

If anyone starts killing people due witchcraft, it's usually because their religion tags it as bad.

And I can read, thank you. :right:

That's nothing more than an assumption. "usually because their religion tags it as bad"? You assume because some puritans in Salem a few centuries ago killed some women that this article is the same thing?

All on assumption.

No, like I said, people can just claim that the cause of some ill is from witches, kill the witches, and then those people get instant PR. Works nice when your dealing with ignorant people.

Originally posted by use_imagination

how can persecuting a witch or several can be political ?

of course it's a religious thing

P.S. Pay up Twist ;)

witches: one that is credited with usually malignant supernatural powers.

religion: the service and worship of God or the supernatural

There is a direct link - not just an assumption.

This is just stupid. People in Bengal must be thick as hell. Oh a car driver died of an unknown disease, look 5 woman witches there witches kill em beat em, they killed him.

He probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning which they probably dont know about cus they live in cloud cuckoo land it seems.

Witches dont exist, never had existed and never will. Well witches in the terms of flying broom sticks, and lightning coming out of there hands. Theres more chance of sunlight shining out of my arse than there are witches.

I think they were just bored and needed something to do.

i can see it now hmmm Bharag what shall we do today. hmmm not sure Dhali footy, no, ermm tennis, hmmm could do but not up for it, i know a public beating to the death. hmmm ok then my fist and ankle has just healed, public beating it is.

Any bets to who will die first...