Official 2006 F1 Season Discussion

Gooooo Button!

I hope he wins, but I think it really depends on how quick the Honda gets off the line. Renault have always been very quick off the line.

What on earth is Ide playing at?! That man does not deserve an F1 drive, not even at Super Aguri. 3 spins in session 1, and holding up his super-teammate Rubens... Honda should be furious.

It pains me to see a large number of talented 3rd drivers not getting a race seat and this donkey hauling round 9 seconds off the pace. Get Ide out!

I hope Button can convert that pole into a win this time because the win has been haunting him for sooooo long already.

What on earth is Ide playing at?! That man does not deserve an F1 drive, not even at Super Aguri. 3 spins in session 1, and holding up his super-teammate Rubens... Honda should be furious.

It pains me to see a large number of talented 3rd drivers not getting a race seat and this donkey hauling round 9 seconds off the pace. Get Ide out!

Agreed. That guy shouldn't be there at all but in F1 as you all should know by now (particularly for the low-budget teams), if a driver can bring in some decent amount of sponsors, he can get a drive no matter how bad he is. Ide is probably the worst F1 driver i've ever seen in an F1 car (and a joke too when I first saw him in Bahrain I was laughing at how silly he spun).

Really looking forward to this weekeds race! Certainly not getting up at 5am to watch it though.

I won't have the PC or Radio on to spoil it, i'll watch the repeat.

Hoping Button gets his first win :D

He only has a drive because he is Japanese and hence attracts the sponsorship money, and besides it add's a bit of spice having him on the grid :laugh: !

Button's engine blew and started smoking just before the last corner of the LAST lap, although he kept trying to get it home...

After the last corner there was a huge burst of fire that came out the back, right infront of fisichellas face, lol.. fisi passed him but he kept trying just to get it across the line, but to no avail, he stopped about 30m short or thereabouts lol.. it was so funny i couldnt stop laughing

BBQ Fisichella.... :p

Bad luck for Button. Car really let him down again. :(

Alonso was just untouchable. Kimi made a stupid mistake when overtaking Button, that cost him IMO. McLarens pit stop strategy was rather insane. Idk what the hell they were doing keeping Montoya waiting. They should have either sent him round another lap, or left the wing. Not the first time they have screwed up Montoyas race either. :angry:

All in all, a very eventful race.

Button's engine blew and started smoking just before the last corner of the LAST lap, although he kept trying to get it home...

After the last corner there was a huge burst of fire that came out the back, right infront of fisichellas face, lol.. fisi passed him but he kept trying just to get it across the line, but to no avail, he stopped about 30m short or thereabouts lol.. it was so funny i couldnt stop laughing

It was pretty funny :p

People used to get out and push the car over the line when that happened years ago, how times have changed...

He got told by the team to not cross the finish line. If he crossed the line then he would have had a 10 place grid penalty at the next race for changing the engine, but because he didn't finish he gets to change it with no penalty.

I think todays race just showed how great the renult cars and how poor the BAR Honda cars our.

At least Kimi got a good grid start and finished the race. I think they got great cars but they break to much

He got told by the team to not cross the finish line. If he crossed the line then he would have had a 10 place grid penalty at the next race for changing the engine, but because he didn't finish he gets to change it with no penalty.

Yea I just read it. Hmm, if he crossed the line he would of finished 6th with 3 points. I think that's worth an engine change penalty, considering the car is fairly good and Button is a good driver, he might be able to make up the places and get into the points in San Marino. Three points plus the potential points in San Marino will probably equal if not top the amount of points he might get without the penalty.

Although, there's one flaw in my theory...... his team know a lot more than me :p

I find Hondas poor reliability in the races rather odd. In testing they racked up the most mileage, and were doing 2-3 races worth of laps without failure. They get to the season, and its problem after problem.

McLarens cars are good, but they r still very unreliable. I actually think its a little bit of driving style too - both Juan and Kimi are "push constantly til the end" kinda drivers (even if there is nothing to push for). While this worked a few years ago, now they have to make the engines last 2 races, and I can't help but feel that they never give the engine a "rest" during the race.

Man it was pathetic...he was just meters away from the finish line when his car came to a stand still, i was wondering, how Fisico might have felt had Button managed to cross the finish line ahead of him with the rear of the car in flames :p That would have made it quite a headlines :p Poor Button, cruel this sport is at times :p

I thought scott speed finished 8th for torro rosso, can somone explain to me how he is listed as 11th and why DC got the point? :wacko:

Scott Speed has been handed a post-race penalty of 25 seconds for paying insufficient attention to yellow flags in Sunday?s Australian Grand Prix. That dropped the American to 11th place and thus lost him, and the Scuderia Toro Rosso team, their first world championship point.

Moving up to eighth and gaining a point as a result was Red Bull?s David Coulthard, who claimed after the race that Speed had passed him under yellow flags. The stewards also fined Speed US$5000 for use of abusive language to another competitor, thought to be Coulthard, during the post-race hearing.

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4196/753.html

Oh my! What a jam-packed race it was! Straight from the first lap to the last lap. Dramas all the way! The commentators kept going on and on... it was a amazing race.

Poor Button! I wish he had crossed the line! Also unlucky Scott Speed too. DC scored his 500th points in F1. Good for him!

Also Sato drove well to stay ahead of Barrichelo for some time!

Awsome race!

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Schumacher won't switch teams in the future

Ferrari's Michael Schumacher has refused to categorically deny that he might switch teams next year.

The German, out of contract at the end of 2006, is - despite raging speculation about possible retirement or a sensational move to Renault - delaying any final decision about his future.

But Schumacher has now told Britain's Times newspaper that a new deal at the Maranello based team, Ferrari, is 'very likely'.

He said: ''There are obviously other options but at this stage, I won't consider them. Why should I? I am so happy here. I would have to have a very good reason to move to another team.''

Michael, who has previously mused about a '99 per cent likelihood of staying put, conceded that one such good reason might just be the 'c' word -- competitiveness.

After winning only the six-car Grand Prix at Indianapolis last year, 2006 has kicked off with another run of three races without a win.

But there's always the next race. And, ominously for Ferrari's rivals, the next race is at Imola -- a hotbed of Italian 'Tifosi' and usually suitable for the Bridgestone-clad team.

Schumacher told his website: ''We want to win at Imola, and we want to play a more active part in the world championship fight.

''I do not think that it is too late, and I do not think that the (points) gap is too big to close.''

Schumi won't leave Ferrari and will be back in form thats given. Its just a matter of time that he wins his next grand prix. I believe he has a strong change at Imola.