Your Favorite Game Ever

What is your #1, all-time favorite game ever?

-Please just pick ONE game to write about

-Write a little bit about why the game you chose happens to be your favorite

-Include a few runner-ups if you'd like, but make sure you pick 1 game and write about it...more interesting than if people simply list the game of their choice

My Pick - Zelda 1 (NES)

Zelda was the first game that really captured me. I had enjoyed my share of Mario, Galaga and the like up until when I played this game, but no other title had yet fascinated me to this degree. To begin with, the music was in a league of its own at the time. The sound effects could of been better, but the overworld music was wonderful. The dungeon track is probably the most memorable game audio track of all time for me. The game was pretty challenging, some rooms were swamped with monsters and projectiles alike. Wandering the overworld was so fun, and still is. Finding secret shops, burning bushes, getting ****ed off at Zora....good times. It was just such an adventure wandering around the huge map trying to find the next dungeon, one of my favorite aspects of the game. Overall I think the bosses lacked difficulty and having a story would of been nice, but aside from that I don't really have any complaints with this game. I simply adore it how it is. The second quest was also pretty revolutionary for the time, giving the game even more replay value. Incredibly memorable soundtrack, great gameplay and exploration, enticing world map, fun secondary items....man, this game is good.

Runner-ups:

1. TES3: Morrowind (PC / XBox)

2. Metroid III (SNES)

3. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)

Fav of all time hmmmm

Speedball 2 (Bitmap Brothers) CBM CD32/ Amiga 500

Speedball 2 is my choice due to the brilliant two player game, you could play against your mate onscreen and beat the living crap out of his team. Just everything about the game ooozes quality even down to the audio samples which spooled off the CD ("Ice Cream, Ice Cream"), the game was well ahead of its time for design and general feel to the game. Think of sensible soccer crossed with rollerball & aggresion.

Sublime watching robot ambulance come onto playing arena and cart off your mates players injured.

Single player you could build up your sqaud and tool them up with armour & play in the leagues .

Its that dammed good i kept my CD32 for playing sensi & speedball 2 :p controllers are knackered now thou but sega megadrive controllers work flawlessly :woot:

Runners up

Sensible Soccer (Amiga A1200/CD32) THE football game

No Second Prize (Amiga) Motorcycle racing in polygons controlled with the mouse soo fast and dam playable

Battlefield 2 (PC) Needs to explanation. (300hrs + so far online play and still as fresh as the day it came out)Unreal Tournament 1 (3 yrs solid intent MP gaming)

Gunship 2000 (Amiga) fantastic vector based flightsim that allowed you to command a sqaud of choppers who would follow your tactics & commands. (and longbow apaches!!!)

Edited by Mando

There's a card game called TriPeaks from one of the early Windows Entertainment Packs that I've played for years, and it shows in my total score...

a6yz.jpg

What a lot of wasted hours! :cool:

Unreal Tournament 1 was a classic indeed. I can remember many nights sitting in our basement, munching on cinnamon pop-tarts, playing with the red plasma rifle and low gravity. Such fun.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (the full game sonic 3 + sonic & knuckles lock-on). I still have to get the ole MegaDrive out just to play it.

Runner up: Final Fantasy VII - Will always be my favourite RPG

This question is tooo hard to answer to :cry:

Agreed. I really don't know how to answer this one. There are so many that are great. Well, I'm going to force myself to pick one.

Final Fantasy IV

Also known as Final Fantasy II in the U.S. at its release, this is THE Final Fantasy that got me really enjoying RPGs. The story is classic, raw, powerful, and the music is wonderful. (Btw, some may not think so, but that's because RPGs back then really didn't have any emotion or story. THIS one did, though, and it was an amazing breakthrough.) The last enemy is hatred itself, the main character starts out a dark knight, but knows he cannot fight darkness with darkness. He becomes a paladin, by the light of his father -- very interesting comparison to Christianity, even though the game has humanistic overtones at times). Also, I can't even remember how many times I've played it.

There are runners-up that are SO close to this one. I will try to put them in order of preference.

2. Secret of Mana -- Just plain cool

3. Final Fantasy VIII -- for story and "real" characters -- I used to be how Squall's personality starts out, so I identify with him. The Lord changed me, though.

4. Final Fantasy VII -- Simply a very intriguing story

5. Chrono Trigger -- This was hard to place this far down the list, believe me.

6. Xenogears -- VERY well done, fascinating story and plot. A tad difficult to understand at times, but that's what kept me coming back. I just hated the anti-God ending (even though their way of defining God is a little off). It was kinda dumb, because all the power they used to save humanity was borrowed from "god," yet, at the end, the main character says, "We don't need god!" Um, obviously you DID need Him, genius.

i used to play computer games like crazy...now all i play is sea3d, just an online version of a board game that i like...however if i was on this forum a year ago, i would have to say broodwars for pc. second on my list would definitely be halo 2 for xbox.

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles

Being a sonic fan at heart, I was delighted when I heard S&K's lock-on abilities could extend and enriched the Sonic3 experience, even today, at the age of 22, I can still sit down and play the entire game from start to finish, getting all the emeralds, the super emeralds, and creaming Robotnik in the Doomsday zone. Pure bliss, plus, when you play through as Knuckles, you got to kick the crap out of a super-charged Metal Sonic. What I liked about it, is how the super-saijen abilities of Sonic (Super Sonic), could be increased to Hyper Sonic, and also Hyper Knuckles (and for those who don't know, Tails has a Super form too!!!).

I didnt think they could make a game greater than Sonic2, but they went ahead and pulled it off!

Hazaah!

I have a favorite game but I forgot the name of it. It was for NES and it was based in a Arabic land. its not prince of persia. It was some long weird name. Its an RPG and during the game there was an eclipes. and delt with time travel. I love this game and want to find the rom but i forgot the name! please help me if possible. If anyone knows what game im talking about please PM me.

Mabie im getting old :(

Yeah, I feel that way, too. They're probably in their mid-teens or something, that's why. They're not familiar with the golden classics that have stood the test of time.

Unreal Tournament 1 was a classic indeed. I can remember many nights sitting in our basement, munching on cinnamon pop-tarts, playing with the red plasma rifle and low gravity. Such fun.

+1

Still the best FPS bar none :). I spent so much time I should have been studying on that game!

Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Runners up

Mario 64

Resident Evil 4

GTA Vice City

----

I picked up Shadow Of The Colossus today (just been released here), which im currently enjoying.. may make the runners up list, once i've played it through and came to a conclusion. I'm about half way there, great game though, its one of the only reasons i got a ps2.