Competition: Logo needed for hosting company

Question

Third time is a charm eh folks? I've got the funding, I've got the people, now I just need the logo!

HostFalcon.com, an internet service provider specializing in small business site hosting, has commissioned a contest to create a new and unique branding for their soon be opened business.

The winning logo will help set the tone for the layout, color and theme for the rest of the company web presence.

The contest will run for an undetermined length of time and participants from around the Internet community are encouraged to enter.

First prize is $40 AND 6 months of free hosting on a basic HostFalcon plan. Two runners up will receive 25% off any plan for three months.

Winners will be decided exclusively by the management of HostFalcon.

Requirements

The name of the company (HostFalcon) should be present on any logo design along with our slogan (Set your sites higher) if deemed feasible by the designer.

The branding elements should be on a white background and be easily applied to any white or light gray without recoloring. Any text used should be a sans-serif font. HostFalcon prefers the use of a simple and minimalist design.

Only Photoshop importable formats will be accepted.

Uses

The winning branding will be used on our website, in online and possible print advertisements, letter headers, company shirts, business cards, etc.

Exclusive rights must be provided to us by the author.

Good luck!

NeoRequest: http://neorequest.tekngn.net/GraphicRequestView.aspx?ID=871

Additional Information

The following issues have come up through the thread.

- A cash prize has been added.

- You can submit as many variations or alternative designs as you wish.

- Please keep the negitive comments on other peoples work to yourself.

- Please do not ask for public feedback from me on your submission.

APRIL 3 UPDATE: The entry process is now closed. Unless you come up with something breathtaking we're going to use what we've taken so far and make a choice from there. We have narrowed the field down to about 5 logos that stand out from the rest as being the type of branding we'd be able to use and would help set us apart a bit from our competitors.

I have no timeline on getting a winner announced. Of course I'll let everyone know when that happens.

Thanks everyone for the great submissions, you've made it really hard for the judges to choose a winner.

Edited by Marshalus

225 answers to this question

that second one there is just like the first one you submitted: not really a logo.the text and rectangles is quite nice, but the tabs look really strange... try working on something that's a logo without text, then add the text - this ensures a recognisable presence. and dont make it too complex.

^ I appreciate your suggestion, admittedly, there was only a website design in my mind when I created the second logo... but I adisagree with you about my very first submission, I put some thought into it, there you can see a logo as well as the comany name, the slogan can be subtracted when using in email headers or printed on paper.

I also have a suggestion for you : try to avoid using clipart pictures and 'drop shadows' ;)

another one. this time without any sparrow or B52 :p

logo11ng.png

:yes:

Here it is folks, the winner, don't bother posting anymore, Marshalus close the thread, i don't see the point of anyone else trying.

Spyder, dude, think of the little guy sometimes, k? :p

^ I appreciate your suggestion, admittedly, there was only a website design in my mind when I created the second logo... but I adisagree with you about my very first submission, I put some thought into it, there you can see a logo as well as the comany name, the slogan can be subtracted when using in email headers or printed on paper.

I also have a suggestion for you : try to avoid using clipart pictures and 'drop shadows' ;)

another one. this time without any sparrow or B52 :p

logo11ng.png

CLIPART PICTURES!?!? I created that vector from stratch, there's no clipart there. and i believe that drop shadows are quite nice when used in the right way.

oh and moshin - that globe is REALLY unique, must be only 10000 companies on the planet using that logo.

Ok, this one is kinda rough, but it was a concept I was working on.

hostfalcon3.png

Now that's Photoshop at it's full potential right there *insert laugh here :D

Mate I hope for your sake that's a joke.

Just throwing ideas out there man. However, I wasn't as pleased with that, I just ah whatever. :whistle:

Loving the H, a combo of two falcons! And the inner glow tops it all off, just ..... speechless!

MrEggsalad Aka The Inspirator!

oh and moshin - that globe is REALLY unique, must be only 10000 companies on the planet using that logo.

The guy was asking for something different from all the falcon and f16 logos, so I made one with a globe. Lots of companies use similar ideas for logos, as you said some 1000 companies use globe in their logos, now there MUST be something unique in each one of them for them to be called different logos instead of one single globe eh ? :whistle: on the other hand drawing a stupid falcon instead of something symbolic is pretty 'uncreative'

now please get a life, I didn't ask for your opinion, neither you are going to decide who is making joke logos and who is doing em in the most professional way.period.

I was refering my commets more toward the nasty or unnecesary comments. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS good to recieve

Exactly.

Some comments on the desings would help us improve our logos and go in the right direction.

I havent received good critisism in ages!

Well that's a shame as I definitely liked yours the best. Seemed to be the most thought out of the logos and very creative yet simplistic and effective. Good work! (Y)

The guy was asking for something different from all the falcon and f16 logos, so I made one with a globe. Lots of companies use similar ideas for logos, as you said some 1000 companies use globe in their logos, now there MUST be something unique in each one of them for them to be called different logos instead of one single globe eh ? :whistle: on the other hand drawing a stupid falcon instead of something symbolic is pretty 'uncreative'

now please get a life, I didn't ask for your opinion, neither you are going to decide who is making joke logos and who is doing em in the most professional way.period.

you're saying that my logo is less creative than yours. right.

I have 8 vector layers with gradients, including opacity. you have 2 or 3 layers. mine is original. yours is a goddamn trace of the globe.

now if you refuse to concede that you were being unreasonable, i'm just going to continue in my belief that you are a stuck-up snobbish moron, which is the impression i've been getting from most your posts around here.

i'm not going to continue this argument anymore, as i refuse to make marshalus split this thread again.

:rolleyes:

I have 8 vector layers with gradients, including opacity. you have 2 or 3 layers. mine is original. yours is a goddamn trace of the globe.

now if you refuse to concede that you were being unreasonable, i'm just going to continue in my belief that you are a stuck-up snobbish moron, which is the impression i've been getting from most your posts around here.

i'm not going to continue this argument anymore, as i refuse to make marshalus split this thread again.

Pretty goddamn right, I am taking classes in a Graphic Design school, while you have learnt a few trivial techniques from tutoriials on net, besides everyone here can clearly see who is aggravating the silly argument. now you have stooped to name calling.

I am not interested in arguing pointlessly with a wannabe designer like you as well.

now go dig a hole and stick your head in it.

I'm gonna butt in here and say that I think Pox's design is much better and, yes, less generic than Mohsin Naqi's. Wouldn't be able to tell who's taking what classes in all honesty. MN's logo looked very clip-art friendly if you know what I mean :)

Pretty goddamn right, I am taking classes in a Graphic Design school, while you have learnt a few trivial techniques from tutoriials on net, besides everyone here can clearly see who is aggravating the silly argument. now you have stooped to name calling.

I have 2 layers.

I didn't use opacity.

I don't have drop shadows or outer glows.

I used 2 colors.

I never took classes in Graphics Design school.

I didn't even a trace something.

God I must suck really bad.

I have 2 layers.

I didn't use opacity.

I don't have drop shadows or outer glows.

I used 2 colors.

I never took classes in Graphics Design school.

I didn't even a trace something.

God I must suck really bad.

<sarcasm>Ohh man thats very bad!</sarcasm> ;)