Competition: Logo needed for hosting company

Question

Third time is a charm eh folks? I've got the funding, I've got the people, now I just need the logo!

HostFalcon.com, an internet service provider specializing in small business site hosting, has commissioned a contest to create a new and unique branding for their soon be opened business.

The winning logo will help set the tone for the layout, color and theme for the rest of the company web presence.

The contest will run for an undetermined length of time and participants from around the Internet community are encouraged to enter.

First prize is $40 AND 6 months of free hosting on a basic HostFalcon plan. Two runners up will receive 25% off any plan for three months.

Winners will be decided exclusively by the management of HostFalcon.

Requirements

The name of the company (HostFalcon) should be present on any logo design along with our slogan (Set your sites higher) if deemed feasible by the designer.

The branding elements should be on a white background and be easily applied to any white or light gray without recoloring. Any text used should be a sans-serif font. HostFalcon prefers the use of a simple and minimalist design.

Only Photoshop importable formats will be accepted.

Uses

The winning branding will be used on our website, in online and possible print advertisements, letter headers, company shirts, business cards, etc.

Exclusive rights must be provided to us by the author.

Good luck!

NeoRequest: http://neorequest.tekngn.net/GraphicRequestView.aspx?ID=871

Additional Information

The following issues have come up through the thread.

- A cash prize has been added.

- You can submit as many variations or alternative designs as you wish.

- Please keep the negitive comments on other peoples work to yourself.

- Please do not ask for public feedback from me on your submission.

APRIL 3 UPDATE: The entry process is now closed. Unless you come up with something breathtaking we're going to use what we've taken so far and make a choice from there. We have narrowed the field down to about 5 logos that stand out from the rest as being the type of branding we'd be able to use and would help set us apart a bit from our competitors.

I have no timeline on getting a winner announced. Of course I'll let everyone know when that happens.

Thanks everyone for the great submissions, you've made it really hard for the judges to choose a winner.

Edited by Marshalus

well, i like it.

and how is it not a logo!! it has their name, slogan, and a picture of a falcon!!! its a good use of colours, textures and materials... and probaly the most original that has been posted.

Edited by rageagainstmachine

It is not a logo.

A logo has to be simple, clean and should not have any photography, textures or something like that. There are different reasons for that:

- the logo should be usable in any size on any material/fabric. This is not possible with complex pictures

- brand will be very easy to recognize

Edited by eversor

LOGO ? A recognizable graphic design element, representing an organization or product.

mine does what is says on the tin,

another example

logo_climber.jpg

Funny that your example supports my point, as the picture in the backgroud is - im sure of that - just a background or something for the website.

The Logo itself is simple (not simple enough imo, but that doesn't matter). It basically is black, white and has some gradients in it (which you can realize in a vector format)

Edit: Anyway, we shouldn't discuss these here. We should open a own topic for that or pm this at noon ;)

regardless! is this really necessary! surely its all in the name of fun. tho, tbh, my design isnt necessarily a busy complicated design. its just not mono! i like to do things that are differnet, than follow a crowd.

take care, G :-)

regardless! is this really necessary! surely its all in the name of fun. tho, tbh, my design isnt necessarily a busy complicated design. its just not mono! i like to do things that are differnet, than follow a crowd.

take care, G :-)

Ditto - he wanted to be different and also it is in the name of fun unless to you guys $40 is "serious money"!!!

To me a logo does not have to be simple - it does not have to be minimilisitc - it also does not need to be funky or overdone - A logo can be anything it wants to be depending on the creator and as long as somehow, in any way it conveys the message or the feel of the company.

Personally, and not being biased, I like mine and Xavier's ones the best.

thankyou, spidermans_father. its all just a bit of fun really. :)

Thats why our comments bothered you. your logo just looked like a picture photoshop filtered/textured/etc to death. You have a very high opinion of your logo. When you have to stare at a logo for 5 minutes to spot which way up the falcon is, there is a problem. Try taking some criticism constructively.

Thats why our comments bothered you. your logo just looked like a picture photoshop filtered/textured/etc to death. You have a very high opinion of your logo. When you have to stare at a logo for 5 minutes to spot which way up the falcon is, there is a problem. Try taking some criticism constructively.

''Awful, just awful'' I wouldn't call that constructive, and that is what you said which sparked this whole argument.

And besides don't you think this is getting a little boring now, there's already been a topic split because of something which is quite frankly not needed and now this about a logo which is a little different and not the normal standard for a logo. We don't want to hear it, let's just make logos. And I think the logo isn't too bad, it's creative and although doesn't represent a hosting company, which logos don't necessarily have to, it's his decision.

Yea guys relax - chill out. We all have our opinions and everyone is entitled to their own views. I can see where everyone is coming from on their crits. but I can also understand Rage's take on his own design.

It's all good - it's all a design. It's cool people. Don't flame on SwitchBlade Zigga. Switchblade did nothing wrong, he just couldn't be bothered to type m ore and say what is wrong with it, nothing wrong with that. Maybe he had better stuff to do at the time.

;)

Yea guys relax - chill out. We all have our opinions and everyone is entitled to their own views. I can see where everyone is coming from on their crits. but I can also understand Rage's take on his own design.

It's all good - it's all a design. It's cool people. Don't flame on SwitchBlade Zigga. Switchblade did nothing wrong, he just couldn't be bothered to type m ore and say what is wrong with it, nothing wrong with that. Maybe he had better stuff to do at the time.

;)

Yea, I particularly think it's best forgotten and just get on with the task, but by all means be honest about each others logos, just try to keep it clean and derogatory remarks to ones self... for other peoples sake?

Loving the competition so far, great entries by the majority! No hard feelings at all.

Awful, just awful

Agreed. That logo is absolute BS. No offence, but please tell me what the hell you are doing. Anyone who agrees with you obviously is not making any money in design.

Come and tell me how much money your making then.

Jesus. Just wow. C'mon guys. Have you lost it already.

Regards.

The entry process is now closed. Unless you come up with something breathtaking we're going to use what we've taken so far and make a choice from there. We have narrowed the field down to about 5 logos that stand out from the rest as being the type of branding we'd be able to use and would help set us apart a bit from our competitors.

I have no timeline on getting a winner announced. Of course I'll let everyone know when that happens.

Thanks everyone for the great submissions, you've made it really hard for the judges to choose a winner.

back to the logos!!! :D

Well, this one is not finished yet but i thought i get this thread back on track :rofl:

X@vier

The entry process is now closed. Unless you come up with something breathtaking we're going to use what we've taken so far and make a choice from there. We have narrowed the field down to about 5 logos that stand out from the rest as being the type of branding we'd be able to use and would help set us apart a bit from our competitors.

:blink: :blink: :blink: i guess i was a little too late with my new logo :(

If u want me to finish it, let me know.

X@vier

post-17490-1144091919.png

which r the 5?

i really dont care all that much if noone liked it. im not a graphic designer, im an engineer! i only have limited experience with paint shop pro. like i said, it really was only for abit of fun. but, just to prove that logos dont need to be bland and mono, i took the liberty of sprucing up the neowin badge and giving it a bit of an industrial feel. i used the exact same materials from my first one. there is glass metal and wood.

take care all. an just remember, its nice to be nice. :-)

RAM

withreflection.jpg

withshadow.jpg