Microsoft Is Taking WGA To The Next Level

On Tuesday Microsoft will make WGA more intrusive and will use scare tactics to make users validate and purchase a legal copy. The new WGA notification campaign starts Tuesday and will keep interrupting and nagging you to validate.

Read the what awaits

Its good news I think, only thing is. I hate having to phone them when ever I reinstall Windows. I know i can back up my hard drive and all this, but why should I have to.

Yeah Pathetic journalism. Unscrupulous sellers try to cheat consumers with illegit software. People need to be informed about it so they can report on these sellers.

What's everyone complaining about? It's not like you will be affected (unless you ARE running an illegal version of Windows, then you have no excuse for complaining :crazy: ). I know it's a hassle, heck I have to call Singapore everytime I install Windows in my computer, at least you've got Toll-Free numbers. I have to pay up to RM 30 on calls alone. I'm Malaysian and the nearest shop sells Windows XP Pro for RM 5 but I still went and bought the original one which costs RM 500. It is a lot of money here but I prefer original than pirated especially considering the fact that if you buy the pirated copy, you're committing a crime :yes: . I believe it is a good move by Microsoft and I applaud their decision, though I hope it will be a smooth transition.

PSG22

The problem is, the people they are aiming to catch with this, wont be effected (like Product Activation), it will be the people who brought the software from stores, just to be told they need to validate (it's like DRM, hurts the people who play along)

Like, when i downloaded Windows .NET server (during the public preview, when the only way to get it was a ISO or a cd shipped from the states, guess which i chose), i installed it, booted and it wanted to activate, so i went into it, just for it to tell me i cant activate, so i call up MS, after being passed to 5 or 6 different people, i finally get somebody who can help get this system activated, if i had downloaded a crack or something, i would have been up and running right away.

At least Apple doesn't treat me like a pirate when i go for updates.

Big whoop. Just buy a valid copy and quit worrying.

It isn't as simple as that. I have a full retail version which I periodically reinstall on the SAME laptop (and no other machine). The last time I did, however, I had to ring them. (I couldn't figure out what had changed as NOTHING had changed with my laptop, so I was furious.) There wasn't a problem validating or anything, but the bother of it is annoying and insulting - even the suggestion that I'm not legimate is an insult. I am definitely moving to Linux on my next laptop - full stop. I've been making preparations for a while (switching to Open Office, etc.) to get me and my data ready. The fact is, no one NEEDS Microsoft to run a computer.

The problem is, the people they are aiming to catch with this, wont be effected (like Product Activation), it will be the people who brought the software from stores, just to be told they need to validate (it's like DRM, hurts the people who play along)

Like, when i downloaded Windows .NET server (during the public preview, when the only way to get it was a ISO or a cd shipped from the states, guess which i chose), i installed it, booted and it wanted to activate, so i went into it, just for it to tell me i cant activate, so i call up MS, after being passed to 5 or 6 different people, i finally get somebody who can help get this system activated, if i had downloaded a crack or something, i would have been up and running right away.

Yes, that is very much true. That is why I hope that Microsoft start improving their customer service as it is seriously in need of an upgrade. I mean, I have to call Singapore just to activate Windows and I have to pay for the call is preposterous :no: . They should really start moving or they will get the cold shoulder treatment from their customers. And it is not limited to Microsoft only. Apple products such as Mac OS X, Apple iLife 06, Aperture and many other products sell here for as little as RM 10 so it's time Apple start to move if they want to safeguard their business. Microsoft can still get by even with piracy eating into their sales but not Apple, what with their market share these days.

PSG22

Apple products such as Mac OS X, Apple iLife 06, Aperture and many other products sell here for as little as RM 10 so it's time Apple start to move if they want to safeguard their business.

Apple are a hardware company first, software company second, and while they do care to a certain extent, if you want to run the software you still have to be using a Mac to run it.

LOL, who wants to pirate apple?

No, seriously, you CAN'T pirate apple, because you have to buy an Apple to get it running (I know, I know about the patches... but then again, you don't get updates from apple for those)