Wmp 11 in Windows XP

does anyone know how to stop wmp from showing tooltips, you know those little yellowish boxes that pop up to tell you something you already know.

is there anyway to disable them cause they make some vizulizations lag like hell :s

It's *not* OneCare Live (at least it isn't that here). I'm NOT having that issue (in fact, the first file I threw at MP11 was a streaming video that had issues playing back in MP 10 (and it's a live stream encoded for MP 9); MP 11 plays it perfectly...as it has every file I've thrown at it). In fact, I just played the Crysis HD video from GameSpy (1280x720 on a 1280x960 desktop)...and my jaw just *dropped*! That's a *streaming video*...and I know from VERY painful experience that MP10 would have choked on it! (That goes beyond the PQ of the video itself...if Crysis looks THAT good when it ships, the question WILL get asked: CNN or Crysis?)

In my case, I have MP 11 installed on XP Pro with SP2 (player version is 11.0.5358.4826, so it's been around for a while) wearing the Corporate skin (included with MP 10). I'm gonna stop by my favorite spot for trailers for games and put MP 11 through the wringer!

Additional News: It doesn't choke! I stopped by gametrailers.com (my usual place for high-end game trailers, especially WMV HD trailers) and started running trailers. *BIG* trailers. I mean the HD trailers that normally require a MUCH burlier PC (according to Microsoft, my PC is just a leetle too *slow*). It's like *what problems*? I didn't have a single issue with any trailer. System specs: P4 2.6C, 1 GB of RAM, 20 GB free out of 200 GB (SATA), XP Professional with SP2. I've been throwing files that would have (and, in most cases, actually DID) choked WMP 10 and caused it to crash. Better performance, increased stability, *and* it uses less RAM and fewer resources than the previous version? Who are you and what have you done with the Microsoft Windows Media Player team?

People, if you would take the time to go to the WMP 11 homepage you will find an excellent tutorial which will answer most if not all of the "how do I do this ?" questions being asked here.

One thing that stops me from migrating to WMP11 is that I cannot sort my albums according to disk. Until it does, I'm sticking with iTunes as WMP11 still needs to restructure its library arrangement that is similar to Windows and iTunes.

PSG22

In the library view, right click on the library node in the left panel, and select "Show More views" to get the folder view.

My WMP11 (on XP Sp2 Home) lags at least twice per minute for 5-10 seconds.

The CPU goes to 100%, the gui is not respondong, but the music still plays. I remember someone had the same issue (he even posted a screenshot of the task manager's graph). I turned off monitoring folders, but it doesn't help.

Do you know any solution for this?

In the library view, right click on the library node in the left panel, and select "Show More views" to get the folder view.

Still no sort by disc :( . Anyone else can help me here? I notice that they call it Set in the Advance Tag Editor.

PSG22

@ PSG: OK, now I'm confused. Could you redefine "Set"? "Disc" implies by "Album" to me. "Disk" implies by "Hard Drive". So I admit to being lightly puzzled, since those are supported. If you could clarify your third scenario, that'd be helpful.

@ MoNo: Yeah, the cross-fading plug-in set to 0 (which is the turned-on default in WMP) does this.

post-151171-1148009311_thumb.jpg

This is my iTunes library, where I arrange the music by Disc.

post-151171-1148009403_thumb.jpg

And this is my WMP Advance Tag Editor, where instead of Disc, it defines by Set. I want to arrange my Library into Set as I have a lot of compilation CD's that I listen to and they go beyond 1 CD.

PSG22

Ah. No, WMP's column sorts only cover the 99% case - there's certain columns that you cannot add/sort by. You specific case is generally covered by "better" metadata - it would be "Blahblah [Disc 1]" and "Blahblah [Disc 2]" in the album field. I don't know what the "Set" field maps out to in the actual ID3 definitions, but that seems like a little strange usage of it. But I've never seen it set in my personal files, so there you go. :)

Somebody said they had problems with Foobar2000 ID3 v2.4 tags, but I wasn't able to get it to create past ID3 v2.3 on my system... ?

Just tried it out for myself. I love the way it works and the way the album are sorted ect. Nifty

However I noticed a couple of little bugs, understandable. But by far the worst problem is compatability with the ipod. I sort of knew it wouldnt work but i tried it. To my amazement it acted like it was working, even named it ipod for me. I started sorting the songs and syncing but when I tried to find the songs on the ipod, nothing!

Just winds me up they couldnt just give me a message saying it isnt compatable rather than loading my ipod with songs it cant use. Back to media center for me.

Does anybody know if it is possible to minimize WMP 11 into the task bar (and turn it into a small player) like in WMP 10?

Yep... right-click on yer taskbar, go to 'toolbars' and select 'Windows Media Player'. When you minimise, it will send it to the taskbar as a mini-player :)

Ah. No, WMP's column sorts only cover the 99% case - there's certain columns that you cannot add/sort by. You specific case is generally covered by "better" metadata - it would be "Blahblah [Disc 1]" and "Blahblah [Disc 2]" in the album field. I don't know what the "Set" field maps out to in the actual ID3 definitions, but that seems like a little strange usage of it. But I've never seen it set in my personal files, so there you go. :)

Somebody said they had problems with Foobar2000 ID3 v2.4 tags, but I wasn't able to get it to create past ID3 v2.3 on my system... ?

I see. Well then, could you recommend me a MP3 Tag Editor that would allow me to edit it properly as I'm tired of using Winamp to do the whole lot. I use Sony Sound Forge to convert my CD's to MP3 and then edit the ID3 v1 and ID3 v2 tag to make it synchronise. However, some of my albums do not show album art in WMP11. Also, how do you find out what ID3 tag version you're using and which one is better :unsure: ?

PSG22

does anyone else have media player taking up 20% of the cpu when playing music? even if it's switched to the mini player?

nope for me, most time is 4% -- VERY few time jump to 15% then drop to 4% again, nothing much really.

post-38476-1148044222_thumb.jpg

Hmm, it's a lot better than WMP10 with my library, but even WMP11 has issues loading my 120GB library. Main issue is just scrolling. And retagging like a billion mp3 and wma files.

I have one problem.

Look at this First picture:

WMP1.jpg

The Evergrey album shows no cover art in the artists section.

WMP2.jpg

This Second picture show that the ONLY album with Evergrey actually have album art.

So why doesn't it display the cover art? This album is by far the only one not showing the album art.

Its the caching bug. Clean ur cache folder. Its located here...

C:\Documents and Settings\Whatever Your Username Is\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS

And the album cache for URGE is located here...

C:\Documents and Settings\Whatever Your Username Is\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\MTVN\Albums

C:\Documents and Settings\Whatever Your Username Is\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\MTVN\Artists

C:\Documents and Settings\Whatever Your Username Is\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\MTVN\Lists

I thought it was all going well, i like the new player its just performance issues stopping me from using it now, cpu usage is mostly at 90% for me and uses over 100mb ram, guess not everyone haves this problem

Just tried it out for myself. I love the way it works and the way the album are sorted ect. Nifty

However I noticed a couple of little bugs, understandable. But by far the worst problem is compatability with the ipod. I sort of knew it wouldnt work but i tried it. To my amazement it acted like it was working, even named it ipod for me. I started sorting the songs and syncing but when I tried to find the songs on the ipod, nothing!

Just winds me up they couldnt just give me a message saying it isnt compatable rather than loading my ipod with songs it cant use. Back to media center for me.

Use XPlay. It works with iPod and WMP.

A question. Has anyone seen pauses/temp lockups when downloading songs through URGE? I'll click on 20 songs to download and it freezes for about 30 seconds before it moves on. I'm also noticing that some downloads don't even start, even though they say "downloading" after ones near the end of the list finished.

Edited by briangw

as well as the player taking up around 30% cpu usage when playing music, my player seems to crash after several minutes when watching anything. that's why i've had to watch them in media player classic.

anyone else having this problem? i might do an uninstall and then reinstall it.