In Defense of Wii

My whole point,Jack31081, is that I would be more interested in the system if it appealed to older, more mature gamers. You can argue that a name is just that, a name, but to some consumers, like me, it’s more. I truly believe they failed at winning over a different crowd and very content with appealing to their base (younger crowd and people who like “fun” games)(I’m starting to sound like a broken record lol). Maybe that was their intent all along and they’re happy with being #3.

Blah blah, macho crap about pink beer cans removed::

Will there be “mature” games for the Wii down the road? I have no doubt. But they will make sure their base is satisfied first.

EDIT: I don't own an XBOX. The last system I bought was a PS2.

Weird. I turned 30 this past March. I've had pretty much every console, give or take, since the Atari when they were brand-new. The Revolution was THE ONLY console that I was really looking forward to from this next generation. I have all three of the last generation. The 'cube is the only system that's been powered on in the last 6 months, and either myself, my wife, or my oldest son will do something with it on a fairly routine basis. More than anything else, I want it for the retro gaming.

this is what most people think about the Revolution's new name... :laugh: :rofl: :p :whistle:

post-1340-1146521970.jpg

Yeah. I'm not surprised. Wii has to be the biggest curve ball I've ever seen Nintendo throw o_o

Its a shame that the company its forced to defend the name of a console just because fome of their userbase is a bunch of inmmature kids.

That's the problem. Their userbase is kids. Not adults (read, anyone will hair on their balls and/or who doesn't giggle at the word "boobies") Hopefully this consol will bring back some of the people who left for the box or ps2

The 'cube is the only system that's been powered on in the last 6 months, and either myself, my wife, or my oldest son will do something with it on a fairly routine basis.

Hopefully you mean playing games as it doesn't make such a great sex toy. :blush:

The name sounds stupid, but it wouldn't stop me buying the product. It's like a crap joke, you know its crap but your keep telling it. :p

I love how people are defending the name, there is nothing to defend it just sounds funny, is there some underlineing 2nd name that makes it sound good? Wii-Fii ? no I don't think so. It's just really really funny.

Wii Wiinker & The Wariio Factuwii of Wiipan. Oh the hilarity continues.

The name is of little concern to me, it's not like I'd be driving a car around with the word wii on the back lol This thing will be sitting under the tv or w/e to play games end of story. Cover the name up with a black piece of tape or something if you don't like it :p

Hopefully you mean playing games as it doesn't make such a great sex toy. :blush:

Um...yeah. I meant playing games on it. Seek therapy.

My whole point,Jack31081, is that I would be more interested in the system if it appealed to older, more mature gamers. You can argue that a name is just that, a name, but to some consumers, like me, it’s more. I truly believe they failed at winning over a different crowd and very content with appealing to their base (younger crowd and people who like “fun” games)(I’m starting to sound like a broken record lol). Maybe that was their intent all along and they’re happy with being #3.

But is the name going to dictate the content of the games? Would the Wii be appealing to older, more mature gamers if it was the same in every way, but called the "Mature-Gamer-Box 2000'? No. It'd still have the same games. It'd still have the same gameplay and offer the same experiences. Which means that it's not the name that's keeping you from being interested in the Wii, it's either the choice of games that will be on the Wii, or your pre-disposition to thinking anything Nintendo must be childish and immature. Again, look at my post above. You are in group #2 and my point remains valid. The name alone is not going to change your mind or anyone elses.

Take for example: Budweiser promised to release a new beer can to the public; everyone waited and waited for months for the release. They thought of a cool nickname for it and released some rough plans so it’d make people interested. On the big day of release we find out they’re going to simply paint their cans bright pink but use the same beer. Do you think it’d affect sales? Damn right it would. But, but, but, it’s what’s inside that counts? Right? Well, I’m afraid you’re wrong. The name of the console and the color of the can are identical. Despite fun games and the same, great tasting beer, sales are going to drop. Who in their right mind would order a “pink Budweiser”? Not a mature person who enjoys a normal, standard beer. Case in point, I want my needs met as a gamer too. I certainly don’t play Barbies or GI-Joe’s anymore. I have more mature toys now lol.

Will there be “mature” games for the Wii down the road? I have no doubt. But they will make sure their base is satisfied first.

EDIT: I don't own an XBOX. The last system I bought was a PS2.

Now I know why they put analogies on the SATs. Most people suck at them. No offense. Ok, well maybe a little.

Let's look at what you just did. Budweiser realeasing a new beer can to the public is not analogous to Nintendo releasing a new console to the public.

A correct analogy would be to say that Budweiser is releasing a new beer to the public. A new beer that boasts twice the flavor, higher alcohol content, no aftertaste, and no hangover. A beer that is a whole new experience, unlike any beer before it.

Now Budweiser releases this beer, and it comes in a pink can. Is the beer going to just sit there on store shelves and bar racks? I doubt it. Sure, you may not want to order a pink budweiser, but that's not gonna stop anyone from finding out just what this new beer is about. I mean hell, twice the alcohol and no hangover? Who cares what color the can is.

Do you see how this works? Do you see why this is a better analogy closer to the truth? It's because the Wii is not the "same old beer" in a new can. The Wii is not the gamecube in a new rectangular box. The Wii is a new console. More power. A new experience. New games. Therefore, comparing it to the same old Budweiser recipe in a pink can doesn't work.

For all you people. Something to stop thinking about the name.

Metal Slug compilation was just announced for the Nintendo wii.

Metal slug 1-5 and possibly 6.

It will use the special features of the wii remote :)

Playing one of the last true old-school 2D sidescrolling games with the worlds first new-school 3D console controller sounds amazing... :D

Just kidding, I love Metal Slug - I bought an old Neo Geo for Metal Slug!

That's the problem. Their userbase is kids. Not adults (read, anyone will hair on their balls and/or who doesn't giggle at the word "boobies") Hopefully this consol will bring back some of the people who left for the box or ps2

Odd, it's the Xbox and PS2 games that have the games filled with these immature jokes.

Odd, it's the Xbox and PS2 games that have the games filled with these immature jokes.

Wouldn't know, don't play the systems. I do see games likes DOA and GTA advertised for them. Does the cube even have any M rated games? (that deserve the rating, not just cause they have a smidgen of blood in them like Perfect Dark did)

When you think about it, most band na,mes sound pretty dumb when you don't associate them with a rocking band. Besides the ones that are people's names, they get kind of silly. So it's pretty Rockstar of Nintendo to try this.

We'll all get used to the name, it'll be a non-issue soon and Nintendo just go a lot of free press before launch.

Where have you been. Resident evil 4 is rated m.

remembe rthat originally came out on the gamecube and was ported to the ps2.

I would call blowing zombies heads off mature.

Wouldn't know, don't play the systems. I do see games likes DOA and GTA advertised for them. Does the cube even have any M rated games? (that deserve the rating, not just cause they have a smidgen of blood in them like Perfect Dark did)

Ah jeez...M rated games for Gamecube? Well. Off the top of my head:

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Resident Evil 4

Eternal Darkness

TimeSpliters: Future Perfect

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia: Two Thrones

Def Jam: Fight for NY

Hitman 2

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

Mortal Kombat: Deception

Splinter Cell

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Gun

True Crime: Streets of LA

True Crime: NYC

Red Faction II

Killer7

Dead to Rights

XIII

Spartan: Total Warrior

Rainbow Six 3

Rainbow Six: Lockdown

Hunter: The Reckoning

Geist

BloodRayne

Blood Omen 2

Die Hard: Vendetta

Ghost Recon

Spawn: Armageddon

BMX XXX

that's all i can think of at the moment.

\ok, so maybe not off the top of my head, but are you kidding me? "Does the cube even have any M rated games?" :rolleyes:

wasnt the bmx xxx on the game cube the only version that wasnt edited?

The PS2 version was the only truly censored one. The Xbox version had the nudie content, but it was locked until you progressed in the game.

People, it's just a name. It has absolutely no affect on gameplay. It's not like the system itself will scream out "WII!" as you play with it.

I don't really have a problem with a name, I mean it's still the same system and all and I'm still going to buy it, but there are some people who haven't heard of it or are still deciding on what console to get. It's possible that some people will see the Wii instore next to the Xbox 360 (and if Core drops to $219, Wii may have a tough time) or PS3 and just dismiss it as a 'kiddy' system or inferior system. That's where a good name comes in handy, and it's certainly not something that would make a Nintendo hater buy the system.

Nintendo DX, now there's a good name. Rides on the popularity of the DS and is also simple and easy to say. Can't really make fun of that name.

i'm going to jump into the realm of the brainless and argue towards the average internet gamers intelligence level. unfortunately this requires flawed logic, oh well!

beer = KEWL

lots of beer looks like urine ( beer = urine )

thus

urine = KEWL

people associate wii with urine. ( wii = urine )

thus

wii = urine = beer = KEWL

get wii, get kewl.

Where have you been. Resident evil 4 is rated m.

remembe rthat originally came out on the gamecube and was ported to the ps2.

I would call blowing zombies heads off mature.

Oh yea! I forgot about the RE series. Well, that is one game...