Trillian Astra

[snip]

I swear, this has got to be the longest testing cycle for any piece of software out there. This had better be one hell of an improvement from 3.1

not quite. duke nukem forever has been in "testing" for iirc around 10 years.

Whats wrong with bloat???

I personally like the design... I'm sick of having people making everything go minimal... most of the crap I have is a boring, dull, grey program. Sure its great on functionality, but I'm tired of looking at bland.

Geez, it's getting worse than MSN Messenger.. I'm sure it's a great program but to me the first word that comes to my head is "bloat".

you take that back, MSN Messenger is jam packed with ads, usless tools and an ugly skin.. this is clean, tweakable without patching, skinable, and compact.

Whats wrong with bloat???

I personally like the design... I'm sick of having people making everything go minimal... most of the crap I have is a boring, dull, grey program. Sure its great on functionality, but I'm tired of looking at bland.

i hear you brother.

Is it just me or does the contact list look like a shower gel tube?

Shampoo if you ask me, but still looks good :)

Speed is actually pretty good. I really like the tiled look, which makes me feel that space is actually used better than with other clients.

There are some nice widgets in Trillian which (if configured by your chat-partner) show up in your chat window. This includes stuff like : your current time, your mood and what you are listening to.

Here's another screenie of a different skin :

trillian-otherskin.jpg

I am still waiting on 'Kid' to send me another skin, which is currently only available for beta-testers too. The "62 users on network" is about the amount of people logging on to the 'Astra network'.

PS. for the people PM'ing me... I won't send this build around.

How would you compare Trillian Astra to Trillian Pro? I like Trillian as it's a great program however I feel that it's just really outdated compared to official clients. Every other client (MSN, Yahoo!, AIM) has gotten at least one UI upgrade within the last year or so, I think Trillian is falling behind the times. It's good to see that it's progressing nicely.