HL2: Episode One "Official" Thread

Played it when it unlocked yesterday as I came back from work.

The worse is, I had almost forgotten about it, and was about to go play oblivion when I noticed it was out. I was talking on the phone to someone at that point and screamed with glee in a high pitched tone and promptly said something among the lines of "hl2episode1isoutandunlockingrightnowtalktoyoulaterbye".

Then I played. And oh **** it is awesome. I love it.

I really love how so much detail is put there, the scripted sequences are just awesome. There is so much more detail than in the previous one...

And Valve did great work with Alyx and her AI, for once, having someone following me around doesn't mean having to babysit the junk Ai at all. Usually whenever some AI follows me in a game, I end up stopping, looking behind me, waiting to see if it is doing okay, then mumbling because "Bleh a ladder, he probably won't get in". But Alyx does, and it looks really natural. I have ended up really enjoying her presence, something I never thought could happen. Her comments are also really awesome, especially the one

about the zombine, and also the one about the duct crawling skills

. Her facial expressions are just really awesome.

And just to be anal about it...

After that, the game was really annoying and no fun at all. I despise games that send unlimited enemies at you, and this game has room after room of them.

Not really. They're not unlimited.

You figured out that you can, and SHOULD block the Antlion holes with scrap cars, by punting them over the holes with the gravity gun?

So in short... i'm going to be really sad when I'm done with the game. I'll play it again on a harder skill level, I guess. Great job Valve.

lol

What I meant by that was that there is no separate volume control for the character voices. I can't decrease the volume of the gunshots without decreasing the volume of the voices. That's quite a problem when you're wearing headphones.

nvm got it.

took me a couple of minutes to figure that out as well.

once i did figure it out, i thought that was just so kick ass what you actually had to do. especially

in that 3 leveled parking garage.

just pretty damn clever how they hooked that little area's "puzzle" up.

Is there any way to purchase this other than via. a credit card or in the shops?

no, you don't need to, but I guess you would be confused playing this, if you haven't played HL1 or HL2, each game starts from where the previous one ended...

Just completed it and it was great.

My favourite bits were:

Dog chucking the car into the tower then falling down the hole

The bit in the roof of the building with the helicopter, where it falls in at the end

The end sequence

The graphics seem to be better than HL2, I think it's the HDR. Valve have made really good use of HDR in this game, it's subtle, so you don't necasarily notice it's there, but it does make it look much better. In Lost Coast it was really over the top.

I noticed something funny too. When you are in a dark place, shine the torch in Alyx's eyes. She squints and covers her eyes. Quite funny.

heh..had quite a bit of laughs with Alyx :p

like when you have to go through vents to get a door open. If you go one way, the vent falls apart and you are back at Alyx, and she says "Oh, back so soon?" etc etc...

:D

I'm sorry, but this has to be the most buggy game I have ever played, hands down. I started the game, and once I got to the first level it started lagging out like crazy -- I couldn't move, the sound was stuttering, and everything just stalled. I had to restart, and now I can't load games, start a new game, or anything!

This is shoddy work at its finest. This was, without a doubt, extremely rushed and poorly tested. I'm going to give this one more chance, then it's uninstalled forever.

works beautiful here

I'm sorry, but this has to be the most buggy game I have ever played, hands down. I started the game, and once I got to the first level it started lagging out like crazy -- I couldn't move, the sound was stuttering, and everything just stalled. I had to restart, and now I can't load games, start a new game, or anything!

This is shoddy work at its finest. This was, without a doubt, extremely rushed and poorly tested. I'm going to give this one more chance, then it's uninstalled forever.

No problems here.

I didnt get any crashes, then again i wasnt playing long enough to experience one. i finished the game in 2 - 3 hours on hard. what the hell is that.

No problems here, it was one of the best games I've played in a long while, since playing HL2 when it came out. I can't wait for the next episodes. :cry:

I think i'm pretty far now and I have to say it is pretty good, worth $20

I turned on commentary first time round and its quite interesting, and in a lot of places gives you hints of what to do

Don't generalise, you had problems running the game with your personal setup. From what I can gather, from the Steam forums and half-life2.net forums, it seems Valve did a great job and released a very polished game, the game looks incredible and runs great on maximum settings, it's very scalable. Compatibility is a downfall of PC gaming and yours is an isolated case.