Whats your opinion of the Aero Glass UI?

I love aero glass for use and appearance. It's very pleasing to look at and use.

HOWEVER.... it is too harsh on memory and CPU , AND GPUrequirements at the moment. Should they develop vector aero glass as promised.... :):):):), if not, just make it efficient and I'm happy.

Chris

Like most of em I too like Aero its not just for Eye Candy but the benifits the a developer gets

from built in vector graphics (fingers crossed).....

Although Video card manufacturers should be quite happy now with it more then us :D lol

On my desktop, it looks awesome. On my laptop, it creates so much of a performance hit that it's not really worth it. If they increase the performance so I can run it smoothly on my laptop, I will be very happy with it.

I like the UI, but I don't understand why the requirements are so high when you have something like XGL that can run on an aging system :/ I just hope that the Vista team will find a way to lower the requirements significantly... or at the very least create a hybid-aero system so that the integrated chipset can run some of the effects.

the ideal specs for Vista Aero Glass premium should be something like a 1 GHz CPU, DirectX 9 based graphics card with 64 MB RAM (remember thre are many laptops & desktop with cheap turbocache/hypermemory technology), & 512 MB System RAM, thats all

I don't find a reason, why these aero features cannot be ported to DirectX 8.1

About the UI, well....i don't like gradiants & glass....i prefer cell shaded look or subtle gradiant, like that in vectorcell or luna HoE for Windowsblind, also, the aero in vista has some kind of design in it, can't they remove that....& give a plain glass

u can check this by disabling aero, & chenging the cole to something like blue or red....u will see white color design...i say remove that

Oh. I love it and I loved the way that you can customize the colour appearance of it. I loved the Sky colour. Matches with the Freestyle Sea colour of my Opera browser. :D

And you know my computer system specs?

3GHz P4 531 socket 775

512 DDR RAM in Dual Channel mode

MSI 915P Mainboard

80GB WD HDD (2 partitions of 40GB (one for my downloads storage and other for system like XP or vista)

Glass fully enabled from first boot :D

But when I maximize any windows, it goes like solid. I know I heard about it but that was....a year ago that this problem appeared?

I only just installed my first Vista Beta 2 (5384) on my main computer (sorry I don't have another computer but I decided to install it on my main before I reinstall XP).

Those who complain about high system spec requirements: In a few years, these system specs won't matter much. Some people did the same with XP's betas but turned out the final version can be ran on even a Windows 95 PC.

Vista might even be about to run even on high-end specs of a Windows 98 PC. See the pattern. Computer are getting more powerful and cheaper. :yes:

Edited by ozgeek

well i have been running the new build the post beta 2 and Glass has changed it is more of a light then before and i think they added .net 3.0 witch inlcudes winfx 3.0 /WPF 2.0 so it loooks better. here is a screenshot also i knotice the light reflection effects on the glass are a bit more dynamic a small bit as i ciurcled . the blur effects is improved some and rpolly due to the more tansparent glass. performance has imrpoved alot in this build it is very snappy on my system had to crop the image .

post-74594-1151864933_thumb.jpg

well i have been running the new build the post beta 2 and Glass has changed it is more of a light then before and i think they added .net 3.0 witch inlcudes winfx 3.0 /WPF 2.0 so it loooks better. here is a screenshot also i knotice the light reflection effects on the glass are a bit more dynamic a small bit as i ciurcled . the blur effects is improved some and rpolly due to the more tansparent glass. performance has imrpoved alot in this build it is very snappy on my system had to crop the image .

Ack Vista + Jpeg = horrible results... :( Next time please post in the PNG format, it'll be a lot easier to notice what you're trying to point out :)

I see it coming! :o A minute after Vista installation I will switch back to Classic view :D

Yeah - On XP, i randomly flit between Windows Classic, and Luna (or some other weird and random theme). I like the simplicity of Windows Classic, but after about 11 years of it, it becomes boring :)

Glass is nice, but i find it a real pain. When im on a window, i'd rather be able to easily tell which window is active by looking at the title bars, rather than see parts of inactive windows through it.

I know its more efficient, but i hated that new start menu as well - i found myself moving the mouse to the right where it used to be after clicking all programs, and then losing the start menu.

Ack Vista + Jpeg = horrible results... :( Next time please post in the PNG format, it'll be a lot easier to notice what you're trying to point out :)

sorry for that next time i will

bmaher I think the whole point of the new start menu is to use the search box! ie Want to run Microsoft Word, type Word and press enter without waiting :p

I love it, it looks pretty nice.

What I dislike, it's all the people with their crappy video cards trying to see the full experience of aero and then they come here and complain about how much aero stinks. If you can't run it at max, it means that you will need to use another visual style (or get a new video card). Besides... it's just a beta and it needs a performance tweak.

If you are into eye candy, then it's ok I guess, but I would rather have a robust OS, than a bunch of eye

candy.....I'm sticking with XP for a while after vista comes out. I've tried the beta, and when the RC version

comes out, I'll try it also, but, personally, I don't see the need to upgrade just yet to vista.

Nothing against it, but I just don't see the need to justify the money to upgrade to something that, personally,

looks like nothing more than "xp sp3" with eye candy. But, I'll hold off being 100% against upgrading until

the code gets frozen, and a few mags kick it around and people on here give a better opinion of what it is

that will "make it worth" the money for the upgrade.

:alien:

Why is everybody so happy and can't wait until Vector Glass and then say its not comming and say it was just a dream, is Vector Glass going to run faster than regular glass, is Vector Glass going to be better than regular glass? And what about Desktop Aurora, is that a background for Vista that is moving aurora, why do you like it so much?

I love it, its fast (for me) and it looks really cool. I hate to say it, but with a new os with this many features you should expect to need a better more powerfull pc, or change it to clasic view. :(

My video card was $160 and it runs vista great. (nvidia 7600 gt)

Don't ever call Vista XP SP3 with eye candy.

Microsoft has done more to Vista than they have with any other release since Windows 95. They rewrote the user interface, networking, and audio and that alone will bring an extreme new stability never before possible in XP or below. And that's just the start of it.

Don't ever call Vista XP SP3 with eye candy.

Microsoft has done more to Vista than they have with any other release since Windows 95. They rewrote the user interface, networking, and audio and that alone will bring an extreme new stability never before possible in XP or below. And that's just the start of it.

and it looks cool too...