Whats your opinion of the Aero Glass UI?

1) Glass is spotty in terms of how it applies to certain windows making the UI seem uneven. Firefox, for example, doesn't get glass on the toolbar or wherever MSIE7 gets it. The result is a confusing experience where it's like playing a claw game with a blindfold.

3) The breadcrumb trail in Explorer windows is uninspired and is more like a giant "back" list than anything else. You know I don't care to see what the trail is to a folder in Program Files. I want to know its actual path. Navigating in that nightmare is painful. I don't like it and I hope that Microsoft improves on it... quickly.

As far as the address bar and stuff in glass, that is because that IE7+ takes advantage of an API that lets them do that. In a future version, Firefox could have that too - it's not something that Aero does automatically. It's up to mozilla to implement it. You can read about it here, it seems pretty simple actually.

For the breadcrumb bars, I believe that you can turn that off, but I was just glancing at the folder options (I think that's where it was) and may have read it wrong. Nevertheless, I'm sure you know, but you can just click in the white space of the bar to see the full path.

i am not sure what ya mean by they dont have the transpararnceys in the start menu but for me they do in 5456

The search box is solid black behind it, and the top corners aren't right. Move something that isn't white behind it, and you'll see that there is white making the rounded corners actual corners....But as I said, it's no big deal, and apparently already fixed in the next build.

3) The breadcrumb trail in Explorer windows is uninspired and is more like a giant "back" list than anything else. You know I don't care to see what the trail is to a folder in Program Files. I want to know its actual path. Navigating in that nightmare is painful. I don't like it and I hope that Microsoft improves on it... quickly.

Single clicking in the bar reveals the actual path. But I like the breadcrumb navigation. Instead of having to click the up button 2 or 3 times, I can click the little arrow next to a folder, and actually go into it's subfolder, accomplishing something that would have taken 5 clicks in 2.

I think the glass still needs a bit of work. but other then that it looks prety darn good.

the ones that bitch about the new Aero UI must not have a system that can run aero. ;)

Could be true in SOME cases. but some may just hate it, even if they do have a system that can run it.

I think the new UI is amazing

The new GUI is hardware accelerated, why do people think its the Aero GUi that is slowing down vista?

I heard once you let the harddrive index all your files vista is about the same speed as XP

is this true?

I think the new UI is amazing

The new GUI is hardware accelerated, why do people think its the Aero GUi that is slowing down vista?

I heard once you let the harddrive index all your files vista is about the same speed as XP

is this true?

Because dwm.exe is a little bit of a memory hog. You don't notice it with copious amounts of RAM though...and fortunetly, It's cheap...

you do realize Aero glass and subsystem it runs on is very complexed . so it has taken alot of work to just come up with this

You don't understand what I'm saying. I could care less how complicated it is. Another word for complex is bloated. It doesn't mean it's a good thing. Anyways, the physical design of it is awful. It slows productivity, and this is something that should have been taken into consideration when they were working so hard on the "complexity" of Aero. Transparancies are over used. You can't tell which window is on top. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You don't understand what I'm saying. I could care less how complicated it is. Another word for complex is bloated. It doesn't mean it's a good thing. Anyways, the physical design of it is awful. It slows productivity, and this is something that should have been taken into consideration when they were working so hard on the "complexity" of Aero. Transparancies are over used. You can't tell which window is on top. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Then just stick with Aero Express, it's Aero without Glass :/

Then just stick with Aero Express, it's Aero without Glass :/

'Aero Express' hasn't been seen in the past few builds, if ever. Just Aero and Aero Basic, which is that craptastic grey horror-show. Of course you can manually turn off transparency in Personalization.

I agree this does get old real fast. i wish vista included the XP Royale theme. Now that is a great theme, a bit of MCE 2005 thrown in, but hey at least it will be have some XP UI in there for those who want to upgrade to vista, but dont like the new Aero.

I think Glass and the overall UI has improved since Beta 1 - but the "Scrap Metal" still looks like crap.

I don't have the right video card, so I can't test Glass for myself. Bleh.

Wonder when Window Blinds will be Vista Compatible? :whistle:

idk, but one thing is for sure, most will be useing it a lot. like they are with XP.

I can not stand luna. looks like frisher price. the XP Royale 2005 looks even better then that and that was basied off of luna.

Because dwm.exe is a little bit of a memory hog. You don't notice it with copious amounts of RAM though...and fortunetly, It's cheap...

oh ok

This is part of everything running in the user mode

I wonder if it would be faster running in the kernel mode(i know it makes a system less secure and less stable)

OK people there are 4 UIs Classic, Basic, Standard, and Glass. All of the other names like Metal or Scrap Metal or Express or whatever have been dropped and are no longer used.

I think the glass still needs a bit of work. but other then that it looks prety darn good.

Could be true in SOME cases. but some may just hate it, even if they do have a system that can run it.

how the hell would u know. you dont know everyone.......

god newbies

Edited by Tech_Dude_5000

how the hell would u know. you dont know everyone.......

god newbies

wohh man, i was just stating my opinion. no need to get all upset over it.

Mine runs Aero perfectly smooth and I absolutely hate it with or without the glass. It's a waste of system resources and to have a "Mac" look to it.

I don't think you or anyone else who uses the excuse that Glass is a "system resource hog" fully understands what is happening under the hood. GPUs were introduced back in 1999, and the whole point to a GPU was to off-load instructions from the CPU so that games could essentially run faster / process more data; however, Vista will be Microsoft's first OS to accelerate the GUI using DirectX 9 / 10 which essentially means it will take full advantage of the GPU in your system. In other words, you aren't going to waste system memory or CPU cycles to render your desktop... instead, it will be done by the GPU using VRAM...

Yes, Glass does add some overhead, but not nearly as much as you think. If you see a major performance difference, you probably don't have a fast enough video card, but I guess you would rather spend money on a video card that hardly gets used... :no:

Edited by HeartsOfWar

OK people there are 4 UIs Classic, Basic, Standard, and Glass. All of the other names like Metal or Scrap Metal or Express or whatever have been dropped and are no longer used.

What is Standard? Are you talking about the 2000/Me look? If so, that's almost the same as Classic, so why include it as a seperate UI?

Windows Aero: Windows vista theme

Windows basic: no glass, the theme that needs work on

windows Standard: Windows 2000 look and fell

windows Clasic: Windows 98 look and fell

I dont know why they still have a Windows 98 skin in here. i know they have it in XP. but did they even have it in 2000/ME? if not why the hell did they add it back?